ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK citizen with Canada PR visiting Canada

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mhk1234
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

UK citizen with Canada PR visiting Canada

Post by mhk1234 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:53 pm

Hi, I have UK citizenship but also have a Canadian PR which is only valid for 6 months. Last time I visited Canada was before Covid and it was only for 2 weeks. Can I travel to Canada for a visit again this year (for only 3 weeks) without issue or would I need an Eta? Would I need to surrender my PR for the eta? Please help as I am very confused and have already booked the tickets to Canada (July 28th)

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: UK citizen with Canada PR visiting Canada

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:44 am

mhk1234 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:53 pm
Hi, I have UK citizenship but also have a Canadian PR which is only valid for 6 months. Last time I visited Canada was before Covid and it was only for 2 weeks. Can I travel to Canada for a visit again this year (for only 3 weeks) without issue or would I need an Eta? Would I need to surrender my PR for the eta? Please help as I am very confused and have already booked the tickets to Canada (July 28th)
Not very clear if you're saying that your Canadian PR is expired. If expired, you should've applied for a Canadian PRTD. This would allow you to re-enter Canada and renew your PR.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

mhk1234
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by mhk1234 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:17 pm

My PR is not expired. It will expire in 6 months time. I have been living in UK with my spouse (she is a Canadian citizen) for nearly 10 years.

We are planning to travel to Canada at the end of next week but will I be allowed to enter Canada with the PR?

From my understanding I needed to spend 700+ days in Canada but 6 months is not enough time to do that. I have also read that time spent with my Canadian spouse abroad will count towards the PR time. Will I just need to go an renew my PR?

What will happen at the Canadian airport when I land with a valid PR (only 6 months to expiry) will I be allowed to enter without issues? Will I have to prove I have been living with my Canadian spouse abroad (utility bills, mortgages etc), will I have to renounce my PR and get an Eta instead at the airport?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:11 pm

mhk1234 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:17 pm
My PR is not expired. It will expire in 6 months time. I have been living in UK with my spouse (she is a Canadian citizen) for nearly 10 years.

We are planning to travel to Canada at the end of next week but will I be allowed to enter Canada with the PR?

From my understanding I needed to spend 700+ days in Canada but 6 months is not enough time to do that. I have also read that time spent with my Canadian spouse abroad will count towards the PR time. Will I just need to go an renew my PR?

What will happen at the Canadian airport when I land with a valid PR (only 6 months to expiry) will I be allowed to enter without issues? Will I have to prove I have been living with my Canadian spouse abroad (utility bills, mortgages etc), will I have to renounce my PR and get an Eta instead at the airport?
Oh you have no problems going back to Canada. But make sure you renew you PR card before leaving Canada or make a quick dash back before it expires. Your PR card is valid till it's last day. Even when it expires , only the card expires, not your status. They probably would tell you welcome back home at the airport. :D

You need to spend 3 years in Canada to be eligible for Canadian citizenship. If you're not interested in that, then you can keep renewing your PR card indefinitely.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!