ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification on information in email received to apply for evisa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Clarification on information in email received to apply for evisa

Post by ReallyConfused » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:29 pm

Advice/Information sought :
Situation – Granted ILR in 2014. Submitted application for RC (Replacement Card) in March 2024 with supporting documents for current BRP card expiring in August 2024.
Aware that new BRP card to be received will have validity only until December 2024. Need to travel in and out of the UK between August 2024 and January 2025.
Received confirmation message on the same day from UKVCAS after attending appointment and biometrics that all supporting information submitted to UKVI.
Now received an email with subject line "You need to replace your BRP with an eVisa now" from donotreply.evisadirectmail@notifications.service.gov.uk that starts with “Dear Sir/Madam, We are contacting you because your BRP will expire on 31 December 2024… ” and then asking to take the following steps
1. Create UKVI account to access e-visa that will replace BRP
2. To create your UKVI account, you will need:
Your date of birth,
Your BRP Number,
Your passport (if you do not have a BRP),
Access to an email address and phone number,
Access to a smartphone …
Followed by a link to create the UKVI account and other information…

Questions and clarifications –
The email from UKVI/Home Office says BRP is expiring on 31 December 2024 (current BRP expiring August 2024). Have not yet received either any confirmation email about the new BRP card or the new card itself.
1. Could it be that application for RC/new BRP card is processed and completed already? and this email got sent in advance of the confirmation of the new BRP card? Or is it one of those small-scale ‘private beta’ launch by email invitation to a small number of BRP holders as mentioned in this forum but thought that was for those whose BRP expired on 31 December 2024?
2. Information sought especially from those with ILR and recently received renewed BRP card after 10 years – Does the new card have the same BRP number as the old card?
and Most importantly
3. Is it OK to create UKVI account using the link received in the email and input current BRP card number- this card expires in August and not December?

Apart from the link “If you need help” in https://www.gov.uk/guidance/online-immi ... atus-evisa accessible at https://homeoffice.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe ... y=Original is there any other contact to get clarifications on the above questions?

Thanks in advance for sharing your inputs and any pointers in the right direction.

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Clarification on information in email received to apply for evisa

Post by lolo2 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:02 pm

1. It might be difficult to answer that question. The eVisa system is new and many still don't know the intricacies of it. I would wait a few days to see if a new BRP is delivered and then follow the instructions of the email and create an account. If that doesn't happen, I'd try registering with the current BRP.

Also if still unsure there's a dedicated link to ask questions about UKVI accounts/new eVisas. https://homeoffice.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe ... y=Original

2. Every BRP card has a different number.

3. Same as 1 above.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:27 pm

Thanks. Thought the same and waited a week already since the email. Nothing there yet. The link that you posted is the same as I had earlier. Trying that.

2. Do you mean and can confirm that a renwed BRP (for those with ILR) has a different number from the one in the initial BRP that was valid for 10 years?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:41 pm

2. Do you mean and can confirm that a renwed BRP (for those with ILR) has a different number from the one in the initial BRP that was valid for 10 years?
Each BRP issued has its own unique number. It is not the same number for the whole immigration journey.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 pm

Thanks. In this case it is the same immigration jouney though. Isn't it? There is no movement between or application for new visa categories. Same ILR same person same address with just the BRP being renewed. Or are you confirming for a fact that even renewed BRP for ILR will have a different number from the BRP that was issued at the time of granting ILR?
This could be important in case I follow the link received in email and input current BRP number (as suggested) which has an earlier validity. The email message itself states "your BRP expires on 31 December 2024". There is no such BRP received yet.
Appreciate your input and understand if you do not have a definitive answer. perhaps someone who has received recently can comment

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm

Every BRP you applied for, whether a BRP renewal, a visa extension or replacing a lost BRP, will each have their own new identifying number.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:04 pm

The BRP card number is given to that card only, it's not a person ID number.

It doesn't matter if you have ILR or any other immigration status.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm
Every BRP you applied for, whether a BRP renewal, a visa extension or replacing a lost BRP, will each have their own new identifying number.
Thanks for confirming. Mistakenly thought perhaps it might be like the full UK Driving licence where the main ~16 digit number remains the same even after 10 year renewal.

So now in a quandary about this email received as it talks about a BRP that I do not have

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:17 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:04 pm
The BRP card number is given to that card only, it's not a person ID number.

It doesn't matter if you have ILR or any other immigration status.
Understand. Thanks again. Following your earlier suggestion of "If that doesn't happen, I'd try registering with the current BRP" may be fraught with risk of unwanted complications. As you said it is all very new. Unfortunately I am not having any joy of finding unambiguous answers to this email.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:22 pm

If I was you and for peace of mind, I'd drop this query on the link provided and seek further clarifications directly from UKVI. It states that an answer is provided within 3 working days. They should tell you how to proceed.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:53 am

lolo2 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:22 pm
If I was you and for peace of mind, I'd drop this query on the link provided and seek further clarifications directly from UKVI. It states that an answer is provided within 3 working days. They should tell you how to proceed.
Thanks. Yes indeed. Already doing that.

zxyzhgp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zxyzhgp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 am

I got an invited email and did the evisa thing few days ago
Each BRP issued also differs in a smart chip which you need when scaning BRP by phone for linking your account
Old BRP cards can have difficulty in being scanned
There are 2 options in the app (passport or BRP). I tried to link my evisa using my passport with its own smart chip at first, failed, used the new BRP card instead, success

Some of friends got the evisa with their passports but it is connected to their previous immigration history instead

lots of problems with evisa currently :D

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 pm

Thanks.Helpful to know. Does the passport option work with passports that do not have smart chips?

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:07 pm

zxyzhgp wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 am
I got an invited email and did the evisa thing few days ago
Each BRP issued also differs in a smart chip which you need when scaning BRP by phone for linking your account
Old BRP cards can have difficulty in being scanned
There are 2 options in the app (passport or BRP). I tried to link my evisa using my passport with its own smart chip at first, failed, used the new BRP card instead, success

Some of friends got the evisa with their passports but it is connected to their previous immigration history instead

lots of problems with evisa currently :D
"There are 2 options in the app" - the link in the email takes you to an app?

zxyzhgp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zxyzhgp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:19 pm

I actually installed that app in my phone long time ago w/o using any links from that invited email
that app is called "UK immigration:ID check", it has to be in your phone not PC
Intalled it then the first step is to scan a QR code which is generated in your online account,after which a scan of your passport or BRP is required

Cremer2025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cremer2025 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 pm

Got your invitation to share my thoughts/experience here. Just take it for purely information purpose and not really as advice.

1. This is indeed confusing and I know it happens to many. I surely do not have any official idea. But I GUESS that it is a generic email sent to those who have the ILR/NTL BRP holders. It does not necessarily mean that the renewal application has been approved, though I very much wish it could be the case.

2. The new (renewed) BRP has a number that is DIFFERENT from the one in the old (expired or to-be-expired) BRP card.

3. It is very wise that you took an early action to make the renewal application. There should be enough time for you to get your new card before your current one is expired. If I were you, I would not be worried. I myself followed the official advice and made the application within 3 months before the expiration date. And that made me extremely stressful as I later found out the actual time scale of processing this category of application is 6 months.

Thus, in your case, it does not seem necessary to register your eVisa account now. You may like to wait until you have your new card. However, personally, I do not think there would be any harm to register the eVisa account with your current card, if you are in need of some proof of your status. Consider the following case: Suppose someone did not receive the new card after the current card is expired, but need some formal proof of his/her residence status. Then (s)he can register with the current (even expired) BRP card for the eVisa account. The account can generate the formal report to verify the residence status, which shows there is no time limit, even though the card itself is expired. So in that sense, it can be useful.

Hope this helps a little.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:07 pm

Cremer2025 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 pm
Got your invitation to share my thoughts/experience here. Just take it for purely information purpose and not really as advice.

1. This is indeed confusing and I know it happens to many. I surely do not have any official idea. But I GUESS that it is a generic email sent to those who have the ILR/NTL BRP holders. It does not necessarily mean that the renewal application has been approved, though I very much wish it could be the case.

2. The new (renewed) BRP has a number that is DIFFERENT from the one in the old (expired or to-be-expired) BRP card.

3. It is very wise that you took an early action to make the renewal application. There should be enough time for you to get your new card before your current one is expired. If I were you, I would not be worried. I myself followed the official advice and made the application within 3 months before the expiration date. And that made me extremely stressful as I later found out the actual time scale of processing this category of application is 6 months.

Thus, in your case, it does not seem necessary to register your eVisa account now. You may like to wait until you have your new card. However, personally, I do not think there would be any harm to register the eVisa account with your current card, if you are in need of some proof of your status. Consider the following case: Suppose someone did not receive the new card after the current card is expired, but need some formal proof of his/her residence status. Then (s)he can register with the current (even expired) BRP card for the eVisa account. The account can generate the formal report to verify the residence status, which shows there is no time limit, even though the card itself is expired. So in that sense, it can be useful.

Hope this helps a little.
THANKS for taking the time with your detailed nuanced response. Very helpful and your poInts make a lot of sense. Spoke with the help(?)line and they seem to concur. Now waiting for a response/confirmation to online query sent across on the link pasted earlier. Seems like the existing BRP card can be used in spite of what the email says . Will update. Fingers crossed that the new one comes through in time for travels.

Cremer2025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cremer2025 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:26 pm

Good to know you find it is useful. Like many others who have gone through this process, almost all have felt helpless and a lot of anxiety. In the past there used to be a priority service by which we could get the renewal done within a few days after paying a high premium fee, which I found fair and reasonable. But that option is totally gone for renewals, and is only open to fresh ILR applications. I don't understand at all why we have to be treated like that -- the whole process is very obscure. The uncertainty causes so much trouble to both work and life, let alone the very negative effect on traveling and mobility.

I myself have benefitted tremendously from other people who generously shared their experiences. Let's try to keep up with this good spirit and help each other. It will be appreciated if you can share any further information you might get through the online query or any helpline. By the way, I have never got to know any helpline number to call on this matter.

winneruk76
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by winneruk76 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 pm

i will renew my ILR card next month and need help with the URL and some of the documents that would be needed for my application.

Thank You

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:00 am

Cremer2025 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:26 pm
Good to know you find it is useful. Like many others who have gone through this process, almost all have felt helpless and a lot of anxiety. In the past there used to be a priority service by which we could get the renewal done within a few days after paying a high premium fee, which I found fair and reasonable. But that option is totally gone for renewals, and is only open to fresh ILR applications. I don't understand at all why we have to be treated like that -- the whole process is very obscure. The uncertainty causes so much trouble to both work and life, let alone the very negative effect on traveling and mobility.

I myself have benefitted tremendously from other people who generously shared their experiences. Let's try to keep up with this good spirit and help each other. It will be appreciated if you can share any further information you might get through the online query or any helpline. By the way, I have never got to know any helpline number to call on this matter.
Totally agree. The absence of a fast track process for the renewal of BRP for those with ILR is a real pain compounded by the lack of update in the process.

FYI, the number I called is
UK Visas and Immigration contact centre
Telephone: +44 (0)300 790 6268 - select option 3
Telephone: +44 (0)203 875 4669, if you are unable to dial 0300 numbers
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8.30pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm

They said that the existing BRP expiring before 31 Decemeber 2024 can be used to create the UKVI account despite what the email says, which apparently is a generic one. Same also confirmed from the response to message sent to the webform query for help. After validationg ID through the app, evisa will be linked to the UKVI accdount. The UKVI account can be updated later with new BRP or passport number. Yet to go through the steps

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 am

ReallyConfused wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:00 am
Keep in mind this number is not putting you through to UKVI employees - they're contractors that are often can't even access internal information and rely on public guides and their own assumptions.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 pm

Thanks. Is there an alternative to get through to UKVI staff that you are aware of? Do you have any views on what should be done? What about the weblink? Thye seemed to respond by email with the same info.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 pm

ReallyConfused wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 pm
Do you have any views on what should be done?
If you sent a query to the link provided by UKVI and they responded to register with the existing BRP then follow their instructions. I think it'll be difficult for someone else to tell you otherwise.

Perhaps you will not receive a new BRP as the current one expires in August - when the new eVisa system should be live - so just need to register via the link provided following their advice. From summer, in your case after BRP expiry date, I'd assume you - and every BRP holder in a similar situation - should be able to travel abroad with just an electronic visa.

Foreign-Kangaroo8733
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Foreign-Kangaroo8733 » Fri May 03, 2024 3:16 pm

Hello, I'm in a very similar situation.
- ILR granted in 2014
- BRP card expiring mid May.
- Submitted application for replacement card in February. Biometric appointment on last week of Feb.
- Received email to apply eVisa last week. Successfully created UKV&I account and linking eVisa. Received confirmation of eVisa.
- Received email notification two days ago, RC application was successful.Received new BRP card today, with the expiry date 31-12-2024.

New BRP has a different number. I guess I should re-link the new BRP to my UKV&I account?

Cremer2025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cremer2025 » Mon May 06, 2024 12:05 pm

ReallyConfused wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:00 am

Totally agree. The absence of a fast track process for the renewal of BRP for those with ILR is a real pain compounded by the lack of update in the process.

Telephone: +44 (0)300 790 6268 - select option 3
Telephone: +44 (0)203 875 4669, if you are unable to dial 0300 numbers
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8.30pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm

They said that the existing BRP expiring before 31 Decemeber 2024 can be used to create the UKVI account despite what the email says, which apparently is a generic one. Same also confirmed from the response to message sent to the webform query for help. After validationg ID through the app, evisa will be linked to the UKVI accdount. The UKVI account can be updated later with new BRP or passport number. Yet to go through the steps
Thank you for the update. Very kind and helpful.