ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question on eligible public funded benefits for ILR holders

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Question on eligible public funded benefits for ILR holders

Post by nuaaxiayu » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:37 pm

Dear forum,

Firstly I am sorry if this question has been asked many times before. A friend of mine recently got approval for their ILR applications with their partner via Set (O) route. And they are still waiting for their ILR BRP cards to arrive, plus they haven't applied to register their UK-born child to be a British citizen, whose UK PBS dependant visa has expired before their parents' ILR application got approved. Their questions about claming benefits are as follows:

(1) SInce they are still waiting for their ILR BRP cards to arrive, could they start applying for public funded benefits?

(2) Only my friend is working, earning around 50k including salary and bouns etc per year, before any tax deduction. Their partner is not working, and they have 2 young kids (one is non-UK born and got ILR at the same time, and the other is UK-born). So what are the most appropriate benefits they could apply for (e.g., child benefits, universal credit etc) to support their family life in the UK? They do not have much money in the bank either.

(3) Since they haven't applied to register British citizenship for their UK-born child, given they just received ILR very recently, and this child's UK visa has expired, could they still claim child benefit for this UK-born child? Or should this child registers to be a UK citizen first?

Thank you.

secret.simon

Re: Question on eligible public funded benefits for ILR holders

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:38 pm

nuaaxiayu wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:37 pm
Only my friend is working, earning around 50k including salary and bouns etc per year, before any tax deduction.
The median household disposable (amount of money households have available for spending and saving after direct taxes have been accounted for) income in the UK was £32,300 in the financial year ending (FYE) 2022.

A person earning 50K would have a disposable income of £38,024.20.

As your friend is the only earning member of the household, that is thus also the whole household's disposable income. The whole household earns more than the median UK household. It is unlikely that there will be many benefits available to a household earning that well.

Your friend and their spouse could look at sharing their personal allowance, etc, and do some tax planning, but they are unlikely to qualify for benefits given their relatively high income.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:07 am

Thank you Simon! I will pass your answer to my friend, much appreciated!

If possible, would you mind also answering their other questions above please? Thank you again.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:38 am

Hello,

Just a follow-up question regarding child benefits:

My friends haven't started applying to register British citizenship for their UK-born child, and this child's UK dependent visa has expired (which said "no public fund" on the child's BRP), could they still claim child benefit for this UK-born child? Or should this child register to be a UK citizen first?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:43 am

If I understand correctly it's a parent (normally the mother) with ILR or British who applies for child benefit, not the child.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:02 am

Hello alterhase58,

Thank you for your prompt reply, so if I understand correctly, as long as both parents (including the mother) have ILR status, they could apply for child benefit for their UK-born child, regardless of the immigration status of this child (even this child's current UK visa has expired)? They are going to apply to register their child to be british citizen, but have not started yet.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:10 am

nuaaxiayu wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:37 pm
Dear forum,

Firstly I am sorry if this question has been asked many times before. A friend of mine recently got approval for their ILR applications with their partner via Set (O) route. And they are still waiting for their ILR BRP cards to arrive, plus they haven't applied to register their UK-born child to be a British citizen, whose UK PBS dependant visa has expired before their parents' ILR application got approved. Their questions about claming benefits are as follows:

(1) SInce they are still waiting for their ILR BRP cards to arrive, could they start applying for public funded benefits?

They should wait until they have confirmation of status.

(2) Only my friend is working, earning around 50k including salary and bouns etc per year, before any tax deduction. Their partner is not working, and they have 2 young kids (one is non-UK born and got ILR at the same time, and the other is UK-born). So what are the most appropriate benefits they could apply for (e.g., child benefits, universal credit etc) to support their family life in the UK? They do not have much money in the bank either.

They are high income earners for child benefit so may have it reduce/offset but the partner as not working needs to protect NI history so should still claim child benefit. Other benefits depend on their circumstances.

(3) Since they haven't applied to register British citizenship for their UK-born child, given they just received ILR very recently, and this child's UK visa has expired, could they still claim child benefit for this UK-born child? Or should this child registers to be a UK citizen first?

The child’s immigration status is not really relevant for the parents to claim unless it’s for a child disability benefit. However, the child would technically be an overstayer and they should regularise their right to be in the UK ASAP. If the child was over 10 it could prove an issue for registration as British.

Thank you.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:09 am

Thank you Amber, much appreciated! Please find below the updates from my friends and further questions they may have:

Question: they have now received the ILR grant letter from HO, could they start applying for child benefits for their UK-born child? Or could they only claim for their non UK-born child who also has ILR now?

They are high income earners for child benefit so may have it reduce/offset but the partner as not working needs to protect NI history so should still claim child benefit. Other benefits depend on their circumstances.

Question: do you mean only the lower income parent should apply for the child benefits, not the higher earning parent? Or should both of them apply collectively for the child benefits?

The child’s immigration status is not really relevant for the parents to claim unless it’s for a child disability benefit. However, the child would technically be an overstayer and they should regularise their right to be in the UK ASAP. If the child was over 10 it could prove an issue for registration as British.

Question: the parents have now applied to register their UK-born child as british citizen and have just submitted the MN1 application form to HO, could they claim child benefits for this UK-born child while they are still waiting for a decision from HO regarding their child's British citizenship registration?
This UK-born child's expired UK visa says "no public fund" so not sure if it is still an issue for them to have child benefits?

Thank you again.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:11 am

Dear Amber,

Good morning, if convenient, would you mind helping answer the above follow-up questions, please?

Thank you

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:44 pm

Dear Forum,

Could anyone kindly answer the above additional questions please?

Thank you.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:55 am

nuaaxiayu wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:09 am
Thank you Amber, much appreciated! Please find below the updates from my friends and further questions they may have:

Question: they have now received the ILR grant letter from HO, could they start applying for child benefits for their UK-born child? Or could they only claim for their non UK-born child who also has ILR now?

They should be ok claiming for the children

Yes the non working parent should claim child benefit, any entitlement to other benefits would be subject to circumstances.

Question: do you mean only the lower income parent should apply for the child benefits, not the higher earning parent? Or should both of them apply collectively for the child benefits?

The non working parent claims child benefit.

Question: the parents have now applied to register their UK-born child as british citizen and have just submitted the MN1 application form to HO, could they claim child benefits for this UK-born child while they are still waiting for a decision from HO regarding their child's British citizenship registration?
This UK-born child's expired UK visa says "no public fund" so not sure if it is still an issue for them to have child benefits?

The child is technically an overstayer if their leave expired, though extant leave isn’t required under section 1(3) BNA 1981, I assume the child is under 10. Claiming child benefit should not affect the child as they’re already an overstayer.

Thank you again.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:02 pm

Dear Amber,

Thank you very much for your kind replies, I will pass these to my friends, much appreciated.

To avoid any possible issues in the future, would you suggest they wait until their UK-born child receives their British citizenship certificate, and then apply for child benefit for this child? In other words, they may just apply for child benefits for their ILR-granted non-UK-born child only. Would it be possible and the best solution?

Thank you.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:51 am

nuaaxiayu wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:02 pm
Dear Amber,

Thank you very much for your kind replies, I will pass these to my friends, much appreciated.

To avoid any possible issues in the future, would you suggest they wait until their UK-born child receives their British citizenship certificate, and then apply for child benefit for this child? In other words, they may just apply for child benefits for their ILR-granted non-UK-born child only. Would it be possible and the best solution?

Thank you.
That’s their choice but shouldn’t be necessary.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:53 am

Amber wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:51 am
nuaaxiayu wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:02 pm
Dear Amber,

Thank you.
That’s their choice but shouldn’t be necessary.
Dear Amber,

Thank you for your reply, my friends are actually a bit confused, as you said above that their UK-born child is now an overstayer, so claiming child benefit for this child would affect their British citizenship registration. Is it correct?

The question from them is that, could they claim child benefit for this over-stayed UK-born child, even the child's expired visa saying "no public fund"?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:43 pm

Should not affect….

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:22 pm

Thank you very much, Amber.