ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mn1 application section 3.2

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Mn1 application section 3.2

Post by MysonsMn1application » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:50 pm

Hello
My father is british citizen through naturalization ( he was born abroad)and i am a british citizen by descent born abroad and my son was born abroad . I have applied to register my son as a british citizen through mn1 section 3.2
I lived in the uk for 3 continuous years before my sons birth.
My son is 9 months old
Can my son abtain british citizenship ?
Thank you

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Mn1 application section 3.2

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:06 pm

Your son isn't British. Simply because he was born abroad.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:51 pm

Judging by the timeline, you already applied (post2131939.html#p2131939 ); what will you do if we say no?

Did you adhere to absence count?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:02 am

Ticktack wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:06 pm
Grandfather is a british citizen
Father is british by descent
Son is british my descent through Mn1 ?
🤔

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:36 am

MysonsMn1application wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:02 am
Ticktack wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:06 pm
Grandfather is a british citizen Means nothing for the grand child. It means something for the direct child
Father is british by descent That's where the complication starts
Son is british my descent through Mn1 ?
🤔
Your son can apply to be British. If accepted, and that's a big "IF", because it depends on a variety of factors like residency et al. Then and only then is son British. But son isn't automatically British.

Hope that's clear enough now?
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:13 am

The outlining factor is me providing evidence for 3 years of residence in the uk before the birth of my son.
I have sent my old british passport as evidence of my 3 years residence in the uk.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:44 am

Not sure if just the British passport by itself is sufficient. You may want to have ready other proof of your three years residence in the UK, ideally from other government bodies, so P60s/self-employment tax records/benefit correspondence/school or university records (depending in when your three years residence was), etc.

Keep in mind that if granted under Section 3(2), your child will also be a British citizen by descent. And their children (your grandchildren) will not be able to register as British citizens under Section 3(2), because that section requires the British citizen grandparent to be a British citizen otherwise than by descent, which you are not. So make sure to tell them to have their children born in the UK if they want their children to have British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:55 am

Good afternoon
I applied for my sons mn1 application online from abroad on 16 of july 2023 and sent the biometrics on 30 july 2023 and now its been 6 months and have not received a response from the home office.
Should i be worried?
Can someone advise me please
Thank you

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Shouldn't worry - just wait. It is stressful and a long process sometimes but applications from abroad are notorious for taking longer.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:23 pm

Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:55 am
Good afternoon
I applied for my sons mn1 application online from abroad on 16 of july 2023 and sent the biometrics on 30 july 2023 and now its been 6 months and have not received a response from the home office.
Should i be worried?
Can someone advise me please
Thank you
There is no guarantee of keeping to SLA and applying from abroad adds an extra dimension to it.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:31 am

I have received a letter of apology from HO for taking longer than six months to receive a decision.
How long am i expected to wait to receive a decision after the 6 month period?
Thank you

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:54 am

As long as it takes them. There are no timelines if they don't respect their standard processing times. As you applied from abroad it is to be expected that your application would take longer.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:55 pm

I understand, i mean like are they going to take around 1 or 2 months or another 6 months?
Because the waiting time is just laughable

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:37 pm

As I said above, there is no way to know. You can only chase them yourself or through your MP.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:46 pm

Received this email after inquiring.

Thank you for your correspondence requesting progress on your child’s application for British citizenship.

I can confirm that your child’s application is currently being processed, and decisions on applications are usually taken within six months from the application date.

I am sorry your child’s application is taking longer than expected. As you may be aware, the approval of a British citizenship application is not an automatic process. We must make a number of enquiries to ensure that applicants satisfy statutory requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981 and the policy which governs decisions taking using this Act. Some enquiries can sometimes take longer than anticipated, and therefore some applications may take more than six months to decide.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:46 pm

Received this email after inquiring.

Thank you for your correspondence requesting progress on your child’s application for British citizenship.

I can confirm that your child’s application is currently being processed, and decisions on applications are usually taken within six months from the application date.

I am sorry your child’s application is taking longer than expected. As you may be aware, the approval of a British citizenship application is not an automatic process. We must make a number of enquiries to ensure that applicants satisfy statutory requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981 and the policy which governs decisions taking using this Act. Some enquiries can sometimes take longer than anticipated, and therefore some applications may take more than six months to decide.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:50 pm

Received second email after inquiring on feb 5th 2024

Thank you for your email seeking an update on your child’s application for British citizenship.

The service standard is we aim to complete 95% of applications within 6 months but this is not always possible.

As previously advised on the 31st January, we are conducting a series of mandatory checks and enquires as part of your child’s application, and these are still on-going. As these checks are not completed by UKVI we are unable to give a time frame on the application being resolved.

We are unable to give you any further information at this stage. Please be assured that we will endeavour to conclude your application at the earliest opportunity, and we will contact you again if we require you to provide any further information to support your application.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:59 pm

You need to wait, you applied from abroad and those applications are known to take longer.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:56 am

Thank you
I wanted to know how long am i looking at roughly for a decision to be made, another 6 months or longer?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:58 am

Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:56 am
Thank you
I wanted to know how long am i looking at roughly for a decision to be made, another 6 months or longer?
That will be a guess and inaccurate. Exercise the patience to see through the application.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:53 pm

Received letter through the post apologising for the delay from local mp and from home office.

Launched a formal complaint due to the delay as its now 8 months since i applied.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:01 pm

I have compiled a list of actions to take to chase late applications, here it is british-citizenship/6-months-plus-waiti ... 43483.html

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:33 am

Have arrived at month 8 without a decision in sight.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:35 am

British passport applications for British citizen children born on the Subcontinent are known to take between six months and a year.

So I wouldn't be too surprised with an MN1 application taking as long at least.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MysonsMn1application
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MysonsMn1application » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:49 pm

Applied for my son on 16 july and 30 july 2023 i submitted the biometrics so i roughly need to wait another 5 months untill july.
So far they haven't asked me for any additional documents or information so I'm not sure whats going to happen, just very anxious about the up coming decision.