ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traffic offence omitted

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

takupfr
Newly Registered
France

Traffic offence omitted

Post by takupfr » Wed May 01, 2024 12:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I submitted my citizenship application back in January and got my acknowledgement letter today.

I am about to go to the e-vetting process when something hit me : I completely forgot about a minor driving offence I committed 6 years ago in 2018 'Driving in contravention with a traffic sign', I basically took a wrong turn. I didn't go to court and payed the fine within 28 days.

I double checked my answers to the relevant part of the application form and I may be ok, but would like someone else's opinion.

I answered 'no' to these 2 questions:

1- Have you ever committed any offences against the laws of Ireland or any overseas country?
2- Do you have any convictions in the State or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgements made against you?

I think I was right since question n#1 doesn't specify 'including traffic offences' like question 2. Question 2 refers to 'convictions' and I wasn't 'convicted' since it wasn't resolved in a court of law.

What do you think?

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Traffic offence omitted

Post by User20123 » Wed May 01, 2024 1:07 pm

Well, wrong turn is not considered as a conviction. However, you should have mentioned in the form. You can even do so now by writing a letter to the citizenship department explaining them the reason and hopefully it will be good. However, if you don't disclose now, then they might flag it as part of the checks that the applicant didn't disclose the offence.

takupfr
Newly Registered
France

Post by takupfr » Wed May 01, 2024 3:10 pm

Hi, thank you for your answer.

As I see it I have 2 options :

- Send a letter now. But I am worried that they just cancel my application due to the incorrect information provided. I would have to start all over again.
- Just hold for them to find the discrepancy and provide additional details at that time.

What is usually the procedure when they find discrepancies like this? I believe they would ask me additional details before to cancel the application all together?

What do you think?

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Thu May 02, 2024 8:35 am

takupfr wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:10 pm
Hi, thank you for your answer.

As I see it I have 2 options :

- Send a letter now. But I am worried that they just cancel my application due to the incorrect information provided. I would have to start all over again.
- Just hold for them to find the discrepancy and provide additional details at that time.

What is usually the procedure when they find discrepancies like this? I believe they would ask me additional details before to cancel the application all together?

What do you think?
Heya. No, they normally don't cancel application based on the traffic offence to be honest. In your case, just send them a letter as this will indicate that a genuine mistake was made by the applicant and upon realising it, you are following up with a letter explaining the situation. This department is above every ones head to be honest, It really comes down to who is dealing with your file. I think you should always be honest with the department. Since this isn't a case of conviction, writing them a letter explaining your situation would help a lot, and they wouldn't reject your application. :)

takupfr
Newly Registered
France

Post by takupfr » Thu May 02, 2024 2:43 pm

All right, you convinced me.

I sent them an email with the letter attached.

I'll let you know how it went for me.

Thanks again.

M.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Thu May 02, 2024 3:06 pm

takupfr wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:43 pm
All right, you convinced me.

I sent them an email with the letter attached.

I'll let you know how it went for me.

Thanks again.

M.
Good luck. It will all work in your favour :)