ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Employer required to update Home Office for Skilled Worker Employee Absence?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sarif38
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Is Employer required to update Home Office for Skilled Worker Employee Absence?

Post by sarif38 » Wed May 01, 2024 6:57 pm

Hi, new-comer here. I hope everyone is doing well.

I am on a skilled worker visa as a lecturer in a university since January 2024. During summer time, we work mostly off-site by the approval of our head of department/school who is sometimes not aware of visa constraints. I plan to visit my home country for 2 consecutive months this summer due to some personal reason, got approval from head and have bought my ticket. Ill be partly on my leave and partly shall work from there during this period (29th May to 14th June -> work from home,
15th June to 14th July -> annual leave
15th July to 1st August -> work from home)

Would I need to inform Human Resource (HR) department for my period of stay out of UK, and take a formal approval from HR regarding my stay (considering the university policy does not restrict my leave and work from home)? Does HR need to report to Home Office about my stay out of UK as I am on a skilled worker visa? HR is so slow that they didn't verify my right to work until last week.

Your help is highly appreciable.

Goenitz
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Is Employer required to update Home Office for Skilled Worker Employee Absence?

Post by Goenitz » Thu May 02, 2024 12:58 am

You must have holidays+remote work from overseas permission.
I suggest using a combination of both. Just get a letter from your Faculty admin team if you need.

Anyway, I spent 45 days overseas with my line manager's approval. For proof, I have just an email from him. Immigration officer didn't enquire but if he did, I wd jave shown him the email and ask him to contact the university.

Lastly, if you HoD agreed, then why not get a letter from HR! They can mail you if they take time and you are leaving early.

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Is Employer required to update Home Office for Skilled Worker Employee Absence?

Post by lolo2 » Thu May 02, 2024 11:24 am

Working a few days or weeks a year from home in the UK has no impact on your visa conditions.

If you will be working for a few days or weeks from abroad obviously you need to inform your line manager - at least. If they're ok with that then you don't need any letter from HR. An approval email from your manager is suffice.

You just need to be sensible regarding the conditions for absences from the UK applicable to your current visa and any implications to future applications.

sarif38
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by sarif38 » Thu May 02, 2024 2:37 pm

Goenitz wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:58 am
You must have holidays+remote work from overseas permission.
I suggest using a combination of both. Just get a letter from your Faculty admin team if you need....
lolo2 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:24 am
Working a few days or weeks a year from home in the UK has no impact on your visa conditions.

If you will be working for a few days or weeks from abroad obviously you need to inform your line manager - at least. If they're ok........
Thanks both, really appreciate your help :)

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu May 02, 2024 11:38 pm

If you are “working from home” but actually overseas that is a technical breach of the employers sponsor duties. Less of an issue for you but potentially an issue for the university.
If an employee is absent from the U.K. for 28 days or more in a continuous period such as “working from home” but abroad then the employer should be reporting that fact under the change of work location.
In those circumstances the visa should be pushed to cancellation. Do employers report this, rarely if ever.

sarif38
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by sarif38 » Tue May 07, 2024 5:42 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:38 pm
If you are “working from home” but actually overseas that is a technical breach of the employers sponsor duties. Less of an issue for you but potentially an issue for the university.
If an employee is absent from the U.K. for 28 days or more in a continuous period such as “working from home” but abroad then the employer should be reporting that fact under the change of work location.
In those circumstances the visa should be pushed to cancellation. Do employers report this, rarely if ever.
It would be definitely less than 28 days. Thanks :)