ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of Travel for child in foster care

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ffederico
Newly Registered
Italy

Certificate of Travel for child in foster care

Post by ffederico » Sun May 19, 2024 9:37 pm

Hello,

I’d like to understand if “Certificate of travel” is a valid option to get a travel document for a child, based on their situation, as described below:
  • The child was born in the UK from an EU citizen mother (father unknown) in 2023. Birth mother had pre-settled status (EU Settlement Scheme) at the time the child was born.
  • A care order and adoption placement order were made in late 2023 by a Family Court, which means that Local Authority has now shared parental responsibility.
  • The child is currently placed with my family (as prospective adopters), but no adoption order has been made yet.
  • The child is not entitled to British citizenship.
  • The child would be entitled to EU citizenship and passport based on birth mother nationality. However, the specific regulations of that country require both the child and the birth mother to be physically present at the embassy appointment, and would not be possible due to the care order, and the restrictions in contacts with the birth parent.
Alternatively, are there any other options we could try to get a travel document for the child?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Certificate of Travel for child in foster care

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 19, 2024 10:11 pm

From the information on gov.uk - https://www.gov.uk/apply-home-office-tr ... -of-travel it would appear that the child does not qualify for a certificate of travel.

Not an expert in this - have you raised this point with the local authority - clearly there are safe guarding aspects - would they even allow you to take the child out of country? Does the child have an immigration status - EU pre-settled status? If there were other options available they would normally be published by the Home Office.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.