ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification on information in email received to apply for evisa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Clarification on information in email received to apply for evisa

Post by ReallyConfused » Mon May 06, 2024 5:33 pm

Anyone here received error message saying "chip not found" when trying to scan the BRP chip through NFC enabled phone?

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Mon May 06, 2024 5:50 pm

Foreign-Kangaroo8733 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:16 pm
Hello, I'm in a very similar situation.
- ILR granted in 2014
- BRP card expiring mid May.
- Submitted application for replacement card in February. Biometric appointment on last week of Feb.
- Received email to apply eVisa last week. Successfully created UKV&I account and linking eVisa. Received confirmation of eVisa.
- Received email notification two days ago, RC application was successful.Received new BRP card today, with the expiry date 31-12-2024.

New BRP has a different number. I guess I should re-link the new BRP to my UKV&I account?
Did you face any issues with scanning the chip on BRP card expiring in May 2024?

Foreign-Kangaroo8733
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Foreign-Kangaroo8733 » Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 am

ReallyConfused wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:50 pm
Foreign-Kangaroo8733 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:16 pm
Hello, I'm in a very similar situation.
- ILR granted in 2014
- BRP card expiring mid May.
- Submitted application for replacement card in February. Biometric appointment on last week of Feb.
- Received email to apply eVisa last week. Successfully created UKV&I account and linking eVisa. Received confirmation of eVisa.
- Received email notification two days ago, RC application was successful.Received new BRP card today, with the expiry date 31-12-2024.

New BRP has a different number. I guess I should re-link the new BRP to my UKV&I account?
Did you face any issues with scanning the chip on BRP card expiring in May 2024?
I used my passport to prove my identify, hence didn't have the chance to scan the BRP with my phone.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed May 08, 2024 2:26 pm

ReallyConfused wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:33 pm
Anyone here received error message saying "chip not found" when trying to scan the BRP chip through NFC enabled phone?
Yes, ensure the phone is touching the BRP card, and move it around on the card till it scans and finds it.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Fri May 17, 2024 1:21 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 pm
ReallyConfused wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 pm
Do you have any views on what should be done?
If you sent a query to the link provided by UKVI and they responded to register with the existing BRP then follow their instructions. I think it'll be difficult for someone else to tell you otherwise.

Perhaps you will not receive a new BRP as the current one expires in August - when the new eVisa system should be live - so just need to register via the link provided following their advice. From summer, in your case after BRP expiry date, I'd assume you - and every BRP holder in a similar situation - should be able to travel abroad with just an electronic visa.
If you have any updates on this i.e. the italicised part, then please share. Thought it was toll December 24.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Fri May 17, 2024 1:38 pm

UKVI account and E visa set up finally using existing BRP and thankfully shows correct status ( i.e. settled - as have ILR). New BRP applied for yet to arrive.
May have to travel.
If new BRP does not arrive in time is it advisable to add the current passport details (no biometric chip) in the UKVI account?
The website https://www.gov.uk/update-uk-visas-immi ... nt-details
says
"You can also:
correct your date of birth
add an extra nationality - if you have dual nationality, for example
add an extra identity document"

flying_carpet
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by flying_carpet » Wed May 22, 2024 10:49 am

Does anyone know how long it will take for the application for evisa to be processed? I have successfully created my UKVI account, applied for access to my eVisa and also submitted all evidences and photos for almost a month now, but haven't yet received the evisa. The page "https://view-immigration-status.service.gov.uk/status" still shows "We cannot show proof of your status" for me. Has anyone got their evisa yet? Thanks in advance.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed May 22, 2024 3:20 pm

flying_carpet wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:49 am
Does anyone know how long it will take for the application for evisa to be processed? I have successfully created my UKVI account, applied for access to my eVisa and also submitted all evidences and photos for almost a month now, but haven't yet received the evisa. The page "https://view-immigration-status.service.gov.uk/status" still shows "We cannot show proof of your status" for me. Has anyone got their evisa yet? Thanks in advance.
Lead time for this is unknown. Remember this is just being rolled out and HO not known for being fast even for paid services.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Thu May 23, 2024 12:51 pm

flying_carpet wrote:
We received an email fairly soon after using the the ID app to validate identity and submit photo, stating that e-visa has been created.
Hopefully you get yours soon and perhaps you can write /email them on the webform. Good luck

flying_carpet
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by flying_carpet » Fri May 24, 2024 8:58 am

ReallyConfused wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:51 pm
flying_carpet wrote:
We received an email fairly soon after using the the ID app to validate identity and submit photo, stating that e-visa has been created.
Hopefully you get yours soon and perhaps you can write /email them on the webform. Good luck
Thank you very much for your info. I have also received an email almost immediately saying "You can view your eVisa at: https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status". But when I go through the link, it says "We cannot show proof of your status". Have you tried to click the link and check? In addition, do you know if the evisa can be used to travel now? It's not clear on the homeoffice website. Thanks again.

flying_carpet
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by flying_carpet » Sat May 25, 2024 9:05 pm

flying_carpet wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:58 am
ReallyConfused wrote:
flying_carpet wrote:
Thank you very much for your info. I have also received an email almost immediately saying "You can view your eVisa at: https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status". But when I go through the link, it says "We cannot show proof of your status". Have you tried to click the link and check? In addition, do you know if the evisa can be used to travel now? It's not clear on the homeoffice website. Thanks again.
It turns out it's due to that I haven't been invited for the pilot application, but the customer services are not sure if evisa can be used for travelling right now. Has anyone tried to use evisa for travelling aboard?

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Thu May 30, 2024 5:26 am

flying_carpet wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:05 pm
flying_carpet wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:58 am
ReallyConfused wrote:
flying_carpet wrote:
It turns out it's due to that I haven't been invited for the pilot application, but the customer services are not sure if evisa can be used for travelling right now. Has anyone tried to use evisa for travelling aboard?
This is a great question and will be very helpful to know if anyone has any experience? The roll -out was "supposedly" likely to commence this summer and we are almost there.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 30, 2024 5:29 am

It's a pilot roll-out at the moment.
Nothing has been announced in terms of early go-live, at the moment.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Thu May 30, 2024 6:14 am

ReallyConfused wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 1:21 pm
lolo2 wrote:
ReallyConfused wrote:
If you sent a query to the link provided by UKVI and they responded to register with the existing BRP then follow their instructions. I think it'll be difficult for someone else to tell you otherwise.

Perhaps you will not receive a new BRP as the current one expires in August - when the new eVisa system should be live - so just need to register via the link provided following their advice. From summer, in your case after BRP expiry date, I'd assume you - and every BRP holder in a similar situation - should be able to travel abroad with just an electronic visa.
If you have any updates on this i.e. the italicised part, then please share. Thought it was toll December 24.
Seeking a few clarifications in case someone has related knowledge/experience

Is it possible that they will just not send a new BRP RC in spite of having applied for it in case the new system is live prior to expiry of previous ILR BRP? What does live mean though? Right now - evisa is showing (UKVI account set up after receiving invitation email and linked with old BRP expiring soon) with ILR / no time limit. But is it good for international travel?

I know there still is time and some people have experienced long wait times. For me It has been ~10 weeks now and geting a little tense - with no way to find out any status update and upcoming travels. Strangely the "Application checklist" document with tick boxes generated as a part of the online application process that needs to be printed and submitted in case of physical submission of documents at the UKVCAS centre appointment BRP RC mentioned 8 weeks for decision notification after on line application in spite of what the website says and a lot of people here too about it being 6 months. They did not need this document as I chose to upload documents online.

Lastly the most critical question, that i asked before - Is it ok to add the passport number to the e visa right away instead of waiting for the new BRP RC? At least that way will hopefully be covered in case of delays with new BRP. The site https://www.gov.uk/update-uk-visas-immi ... nt-details does say
You can also:
add an extra identity document
change your photo, for example if your appearance has changed and you can no longer be recognised from your photo

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu May 30, 2024 12:04 pm

ReallyConfused wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 6:14 am
ReallyConfused wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 1:21 pm
lolo2 wrote:
ReallyConfused wrote:

Seeking a few clarifications in case someone has related knowledge/experience

Is it possible that they will just not send a new BRP RC in spite of having applied for it in case the new system is live prior to expiry of previous ILR BRP? What does live mean though? Right now - evisa is showing (UKVI account set up after receiving invitation email and linked with old BRP expiring soon) with ILR / no time limit. But is it good for international travel?

I know there still is time and some people have experienced long wait times. For me It has been ~10 weeks now and geting a little tense - with no way to find out any status update and upcoming travels. Strangely the "Application checklist" document with tick boxes generated as a part of the online application process that needs to be printed and submitted in case of physical submission of documents at the UKVCAS centre appointment BRP RC mentioned 8 weeks for decision notification after on line application in spite of what the website says and a lot of people here too about it being 6 months. They did not need this document as I chose to upload documents online.

Lastly the most critical question, that i asked before - Is it ok to add the passport number to the e visa right away instead of waiting for the new BRP RC? At least that way will hopefully be covered in case of delays with new BRP. The site https://www.gov.uk/update-uk-visas-immi ... nt-details does say
You can also:
add an extra identity document
change your photo, for example if your appearance has changed and you can no longer be recognised from your photo
The whole import and extent of this is still unknown noting the pilot roll-out phase.
If the option is there means it can be used. How advantageous it is/will be doing so right away is unknown.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Fri May 31, 2024 12:33 pm

Looks like a non chip passport can be added in addition to the BRP chip once the evisa is up and running per this very helpful post in
viewtopic.php?t=347241

Cremer2025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cremer2025 » Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:26 pm

Now I also got confused by the evisa registration process. Let me first summarise my confusion and question, and then I will explain the story and experience.

My confusion and questions:

1. Is it really NECESSARY to update our UKVI account with the most recent BRP card number?
2. In case yes, then the only way of updating the account is to do it via "add a new document" in the UKVI account details section. If we do so, would this cause a problem after 01-January-2025? The reason is that the all new BRP cards will expire by 31-12-2024.

The background story is my daughter received notification from the UKVI asking her to set up the UKVI account and get the e-visa. We received this email BEFORE she received the new BRP card, while her old BRP card was still valid, though it has been expired now. So we set up the UKVi account with her passport and add the information of the old (now expired) BRP number. Everything seems fine as we can successfully view her immigration (settlement) status and generate the sharecode.

I had thought it would be easy to update the BRP information in the system. I must admit I am a bit naïve as I took it for granted that this can be done easily or even automatically by the system. Now things become less clear. In the system there is no place that is to replace the old BRP card number by the new one. I called the UKVI phone line and they told me the only way is to add a new identity document. However, now I do not want to take the risk.

The reason is that so far everything seems OK. The advantage of setting up the UKVI account with the passport is that passport has longer validity period. Moreover, we can simply travel with the passport in the future and do not need to take the BRP card.

There seems conflicting information available now. From certain UKVI phone line officer, she said I do not need to do anything because the new BRP card is in the system. On the contrary, another officer told me that I should do it -- by adding the new BRP card. From online, some say if we can set up the evisa, then the BRP card is essentially out of business.

So I am really confused. What shall we do in this situation? Any insight, information or thought will be much appreciated.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:57 am

Thanks for your message. I'm not an expert but seems like you have set up your/daughter's evisa which has the BRP card (now expired) AND the passport as well linked to the evisa in the UKVI system. Per my conversations earlier with the helpline, linking the passport is what matters which will eventually be the final endgame for everyone. So perhaps you are all set except of course the uncertainty of travelling and being at the airport immigration counter between now and when the new BRP card arrives or the Home office announces definitively that one can travel with just the evisa and the passport.

One question - after you linked the old BRP card to the evisa having set it up with the passport, do you log in using the passport number that was used to set up or the BRP number that was added later? I explain why I ask this question in the last para.

In this whole exercise nobody seems to care that people who are "settled" may need to travel, often frequently. The response from the Helpine for what to do in such a situation was "well you'll have to figure it out! we should have it all sorted"

For us,the quandary is slightly different. Any thoughts welcome. We successfully set up the evisa account after receiving email invitation using the soon to expire 10 year ILR BRP. Online status is showing correctly. Thanks for your suggestions on this in an earlier post here. BRP about to expire soon, need to travel soon, new one not arrived yet, applied >11 weeks ago and counting.
Have not yet linked the passport (no chip) to the evisa using the add document feature on the weblink for making changes to the evisa. With all the ongoing glitches, very apprehensive whether the currently functioning /working evisa status will go into an error mode in trying to link an additional document i.e. the passport in our case. On the Citizen's Advice website (detailed in earlier post) it says once a new document is added to the evisa, the login will require details of the new document AND it may take up to 4 weeks!! Hence the question in the second para earlier. In another thread (also referred in an earlier post here) someone mentioned success with linking the passport as an additional document and happened quickly. Not sure if that will be the case for all. Do not know who to ask except perhaps a written message through the webform for evisa issues?

Cremer2025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cremer2025 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:00 pm

Good afternoon. Thanks for your message and communication. First to answer your question, yes, we indeed log in using the passport number (rather than the BRP).

In my understanding, there are two advantages of using passport instead of BRP.

Advantage 1: The BRP will expire anyway by the end of this year. I am not sure whether an expired document will be fine to use for logging in from January 2025 onwards. Whenever possible, I do not want to take that risk.

Advantage 2: Login using passport means convenience. Effectively, you can enter the UK by only taking your passport, and no need to show the brp. This is verified at least by my own experience. Recently I came back from a trip. The immigration officer did not check my brp and told me that he does not need to do that because my passport is linked to my eVisa. When they scan my passport they can see my immigrant status. So they do not need to check my brp.

In the future, the BRP will expire anyway and we will have to board a flight with an evisa and passport. So by then we just need to travel with the passport. On the contrary, if we login using the brp, then we will have to take both the BRP and passport, even though that card is no long in date.

Of course, my concern could be unnecessary and let's hope the technical system will be more smooth and straightforward. But at this moment, I strictly prefer using passport to log in.

Cremer2025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cremer2025 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:16 pm

Some further information and thoughts.

In the past few days until today, I made numerous calls to the help centre, and also message-chat using the eVisa Webchat. I must say that they are all helpful and kind. Perhaps partly due to the difference in their functions/roles/responsibilities, and partly due to the ambiguous nature in some aspects of the new eVisa system (online they themselves stressed it is a beta service).

The help centre gave me contradictory information. Some adviser/agent told me that I do not need to add the new BRP card into the account because it is in the system automatically; while others said to me that I should add it as a new document. I explained to them my concern and also the fact that I heard different suggestions. Then they told me that I can try the eVisa Webchat.

I then tried it. It was not very straightforward, but after some attempt, I finally talked (message to be precise) to an advisor who obviously is very knowledgeable and confident. (S)he confirmed that I need NOT update it with the new BRP. Furthermore, (s)he confirmed that, even if we did not manually put the new brp into the UKVI account, they (the immigration system, or the relevant officers) can find the new brp information.

So that was the most helpful feedback I have ever received on this question and should fundamentally solved my concern. So unless there is any new official statement or information, I will not add the new BRP card, but simply keep using the passport to log in. If everything works fine, better not to change it. :-)

Cremer2025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cremer2025 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:19 pm

On your part, sorry to hear you still wait for the new BRP. Based on my experience, you should expect to get it anytime soon. No need to panic (though I understand the stress - I very much experience it a lot). Have a good weekend.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:38 pm

Cremer2025 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:00 pm
Good afternoon. Thanks for your message and communication. First to answer your question, yes, we indeed log in using the passport number (rather than the BRP).

In my understanding, there are two advantages of using passport instead of BRP.

Advantage 1: The BRP will expire anyway by the end of this year. I am not sure whether an expired document will be fine to use for logging in from January 2025 onwards. Whenever possible, I do not want to take that risk.

Advantage 2: Login using passport means convenience. Effectively, you can enter the UK by only taking your passport, and no need to show the brp. This is verified at least by my own experience. Recently I came back from a trip. The immigration officer did not check my brp and told me that he does not need to do that because my passport is linked to my eVisa. When they scan my passport they can see my immigrant status. So they do not need to check my brp.

In the future, the BRP will expire anyway and we will have to board a flight with an evisa and passport. So by then we just need to travel with the passport. On the contrary, if we login using the brp, then we will have to take both the BRP and passport, even though that card is no long in date.

Of course, my concern could be unnecessary and let's hope the technical system will be more smooth and straightforward. But at this moment, I strictly prefer using passport to log in.
Thank you again for your very helpful and informative posts.
First thing that is great to know is that airport immigration officers can already see the evisa. This is a question someone else had asked here before i.e. whether anyone had experience of travellinfg with the evisa.
Agree with the logic of all that you said. My thoughts precisely the same about having the passport linked to the evisa to future proof ourselves. Since we set up the UKVI account and the evisa using the BRP, we will have to add the passport now - the reverse sequence of what you went through i.e. passport first, then BRP. Just a tad apprehensive if the whole gets mucked up in trying to add the passport, for reasons unknown. I guess the best thing to do is to write to Home Office before attempting to link the pasport.
This thread viewtopic.php?t=347241 gives me hope
Thanks again and a good weekend to you and yours too.

Cremer2025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cremer2025 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:07 pm

You are welcome. Pleasure to discuss with you. Just draw your attention to one thing. Suppose you are going to fly from country X to UK. Then at the airport of X, you will have to show a valid BRP for boarding. So the BRP is still necessary for now, before the eVisa is fully implemented and shared with the carriers. My experience is that I do not need to show the BRP at the airport in the UK upon return/entry.

So there will be a related interesting question. Suppose one buys a flight ticket from X via UK to country Y. And suppose the passenger has valid entry document to Y, e.g., visa/passport of Y. Then it might be possible to transit to the UK (there is a chance not requiring visa, though this is not with certainty). So, in this case, it could be possible boarding the flight in X without brp, and then upon landing in the UK, abandoning the remaining trip, but enter the UK with the eVisa.

Sounds complicated. But the whole thing somewhat forced people to think of all possible ways to resolve the travel constraints.

ReallyConfused
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ReallyConfused » Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:24 pm

Cremer2025 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:07 pm
You are welcome. Pleasure to discuss with you. Just draw your attention to one thing. Suppose you are going to fly from country X to UK. Then at the airport of X, you will have to show a valid BRP for boarding. So the BRP is still necessary for now, before the eVisa is fully implemented and shared with the carriers. My experience is that I do not need to show the BRP at the airport in the UK upon return/entry.

So there will be a related interesting question. Suppose one buys a flight ticket from X via UK to country Y. And suppose the passenger has valid entry document to Y, e.g., visa/passport of Y. Then it might be possible to transit to the UK (there is a chance not requiring visa, though this is not with certainty). So, in this case, it could be possible boarding the flight in X without brp, and then upon landing in the UK, abandoning the remaining trip, but enter the UK with the eVisa.

Sounds complicated. But the whole thing somewhat forced people to think of all possible ways to resolve the travel constraints.
Thanks again. Exactly!! These are permuations and combinations we have pondered over and been dreading to countenance. Thought along similar lines. Then realized that for BA at least though their long haul tickets especially for bus/ club world and even economy too are often significantly cheaper to Europe via LHR (they like to fleece their loyal UK customers with tickets to/from LHR?), the checked-in luggage is checked in all the way through to Y (in your analogy)! So do we travel with hand baggage? Not even sure whether the tickets get invalidated for the return journey as some US based carriers tend to do for the same practice - skiplagging as it is called I think!
Anyway just hoping fervently that we do not have to face these issues - and either the new BRP valid till December comes through really soon OR the Home Office announces and authorises carriers to accept people with e-visas and goes live.
Fingers crossed.

flying_carpet
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by flying_carpet » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:47 pm

Thanks all, I have also got my evisa now. There are confusing messages about when we can use evisa for travelling: some say as soon as one gets evisa, whereas others say at the end of this year or even 2025 :cry: . It would be great if anyone knows a certain/ authoritative answer about it, or even better to have experience of using it to travel aboard and back :D .