ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee - Acceptable Professional Persons

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Referee - Acceptable Professional Persons

Post by TheHappyChicken » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:57 pm

I tried to update my previous post however it is closed, so starting a new post.

I am looking at the requirements for my partners two referee declarations. Here is the list of ‘Acceptable professional persons' (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... als_v4.pdf).

We were looking at a friend who is a GP (They are not OUR GP), however there doesn't appear to be a GP or doctor on this list; I cannot believe a GP/Doctor is not an acceptable profession, but a travel agent is.

Anyone have any input or first hand confirmation that a GP is accepted? Thank you :)

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Referee - Acceptable Professional Persons

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:26 pm

GPs have been removed from this list 10+ years ago so they can concentrate on their NHS duties.
If you have a friend who is a Doctor (even GP) and who signs as friend that should be fine - best to attach a note spelling this out.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:26 pm

GPs have been removed from the list 12 years ago. They are not an acceptable profession.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by TheHappyChicken » Tue May 21, 2024 5:59 pm

Just for information on the above (Apologies, I should have updated earlier), I called a while back (Some number on generic visa related enquiries I found on the UK GOV website), and they confirmed that a GP is an accepted profession so long as the reference knows you personally and not just your GP. As we know this person as a friend and not because they are our GP, they are ok to be our first referee.

Another question I had regarding trips outside the UK.
We have a trip planned in the next month, but we plan to submit our application in the next few weeks.
I assume the answer will be no, but I wanted a second opinion.
Should we be listing this planned trip outside the UK on our visa application?
I suspect the trip will fall after our application submission, but prior to any biometrics appointments.

Thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 21, 2024 6:09 pm

TheHappyChicken wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:59 pm
Just for information on the above (Apologies, I should have updated earlier), I called a while back (Some number on generic visa related enquiries I found on the UK GOV website), and they confirmed that a GP is an accepted profession so long as the reference knows you personally and not just your GP. As we know this person as a friend and not because they are our GP, they are ok to be our first referee.

Yes, but not as a professional referee - only the over 25 years old British citizen one.

Another question I had regarding trips outside the UK.
We have a trip planned in the next month, but we plan to submit our application in the next few weeks.
I assume the answer will be no, but I wanted a second opinion.
Should we be listing this planned trip outside the UK on our visa application?
I suspect the trip will fall after our application submission, but prior to any biometrics appointments.

No. Only trips up to the application date. Citizenship is not an immigration application.

Thanks.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by TheHappyChicken » Tue May 21, 2024 6:16 pm

Can I ask why you think they cannot act as a professional referee?

Based on your answer I will call again tomorrow to ask, but I am 99.9% confident I am correct, so unless you tell me you work for the HO and 100% know they cannot, I think I have the correct information.

I'm pretty sure the phone number I called was the number on the Home Office "Guide AN" document and specifically asked the question and they confirmed they could act as the professional referee.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 21, 2024 8:58 pm

The call centre isn't ran by caseworkers, they only refer to the guidance.

GPs have been removed from the list of accepted professions 12 years ago or so. That is why you can't use them as a professional referee but only if they are a personal freind and act as the other referee.

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Referee declarations

Post by TheHappyChicken » Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 am

Question around the referee declarations.

The form states:
Passport photo
On the back of the applicant’s photograph, please write
their full name and date of birth. The photograph should
then be glued into the space aside.
When looking on the UKVCAS website to upload our documents, there is section for the referee declarations.
Obviously the scanned copy of the referee declaration you will not see the back of the photo.

Do we take the referee declarations with us to the biometrics appointment?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Referee declarations

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 22, 2024 1:24 pm

TheHappyChicken wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 am
Question around the referee declarations.

The form states:
Passport photo
On the back of the applicant’s photograph, please write
their full name and date of birth. The photograph should
then be glued into the space aside.
When looking on the UKVCAS website to upload our documents, there is section for the referee declarations.
Obviously the scanned copy of the referee declaration you will not see the back of the photo. That requirement goes back to the paper days - Home haven't caught up yet, after 4+ years!

Do we take the referee declarations with us to the biometrics appointment? NO - just upload
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed May 22, 2024 1:29 pm

It's a relic from pen and paper days. Just upload the referee form without worrying about the fact the picture didn't get signed at the back.