ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship queries: single mother on benefits

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sveika
Newly Registered

citizenship queries: single mother on benefits

Post by sveika » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Hello everyone, my friend has got her ILR over 5 years ago but never applied for citizenship before. She heard there would be some changes in citizenship application soon and decided to get her British passport now. But she has always been on benefits for the past few years as a single mother (child is British Citizen) and she is quite worried about this. She doesn't know how to fill in section 3 of the application form (good character requirement). Can anyone give any suggestion about filling 3.1-3.5?
Many thanks

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:38 pm

She will need to do her Citizenship test first and once that is completed, she will be able to apply for Naturalisation at £860 new fee. Form AN

whirly

Post by whirly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Siggi: Where did you see that the new fee will be £860? I thought it was *only* going up to £720 - bargain...ugh.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... from060409

sveika: I don't think that benefits are a problem when your friend applies for citizenship, especially since she is eligible to claim them on ILR. She should just fill out 3.1-3.5 honestly. She can always leave it blank and get guidance from the NCS when she applies. I'm not an expert in this area, though... Perhaps some others members will chime in.

Like Siggi said, she needs to take the Life in the UK Test if she has not done it yet.

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

sveika
Newly Registered

Post by sveika » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:01 pm

Yes she has passed 'life in the UK'. I believe she hasn't got the news of the new fees yet. She was complaining the fees are as high as 600 pounds! but actually she doesn't really speak English, that's why she turned to friends for help not NCS.

munisa

Post by munisa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:22 pm

sveika wrote:Yes she has passed 'life in the UK' ! but actually she doesn't really speak English...
How did she study and take the exam? When I did my test, it was clear a good command of English was paramount to understanding and answering the questions correctly?
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Sorry guy's the new application fee costs from 6th April 09 is as stated £720 for a single application and £820 for a joint applicantion.
As per BIA web site.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Munisa wrote:When I did my test, it was clear a good command of English was paramount to understanding and answering the questions correctly?
You joking I hope?

sveika
Newly Registered

Post by sveika » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 pm

She's not employed, lives on social benefit with her child. Can she leave section 3 blank? I don't think she's paying any tax at all.

Guys the fact is she DID pass 'life in the UK' test. I know it's sarcastic :D

munisa

Post by munisa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Siggi wrote:Munisa wrote:When I did my test, it was clear a good command of English was paramount to understanding and answering the questions correctly?
You joking I hope?
Siggi
Honestly I am serious.
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

sveika
Newly Registered

Post by sveika » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Can she write 'single mother' as her occupation?
How to answer question 3.5: Address of tax office or tax office reference?

Any enlightment would be greatly appreciated.

whirly

Post by whirly » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:04 pm

Can she write 'single mother' as her occupation?
I don't see why not. One of my referees used 'housewife' as her occupation.

How to answer question 3.5: Address of tax office or tax office reference?
I forgot to write it on my form even though I am employed. It was not a problem. She can probably leave it blank.

sveika
Newly Registered

Post by sveika » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:09 am

Many thanks whirly :)