ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalisation ceremony

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

naav

naturalisation ceremony

Post by naav » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:15 am

Hi everyone :)

My wife got her documents back today regarding her Naturalisation application and she is due to get a letter in two weeks time for her ceremony date.

Since she completed the ESOL course with Citizenship over a year ago, she hasn't been able to attend any further classes as we have a small child. At the same time, she hasn't been practicing her English.

I do remember reading in the guide to the Naturalisation application that one can bring someone along if they don't feel confident to deal with the ceremony.

So:

1. Would her 'lack' of English hinder in anyway the ceremony and, furthermore, when she goes for the passport interview (I take it everyone has to go for this interview)?

2. They won't 'test' her at the ceremony, will they?

Thank you :)

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: naturalisation ceremony

Post by djb123 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:12 am

naav wrote:Hi everyone :)

My wife got her documents back today regarding her Naturalisation application and she is due to get a letter in two weeks time for her ceremony date.

Since she completed the ESOL course with Citizenship over a year ago, she hasn't been able to attend any further classes as we have a small child. At the same time, she hasn't been practicing her English.

I do remember reading in the guide to the Naturalisation application that one can bring someone along if they don't feel confident to deal with the ceremony.

So:

1. Would her 'lack' of English hinder in anyway the ceremony and, furthermore, when she goes for the passport interview (I take it everyone has to go for this interview)?

2. They won't 'test' her at the ceremony, will they?

I think it's normal to be allowed to take two guests along, though if it's the same as my wife's ceremony the guests had to sit at the back during the actual ceremony itself.

1) It wouldn't really hinder her during the ceremony, as long as she can understand what she has to do. It may hinder her during the passport interview (which everyone applying for a passport for the first time has to attend). The answers tend to be facts (ie names, dates, etc) so could probably get away without speaking too much English.

2) They won't test her at the ceremony, but I guess if the interviewer at the passport interview is concerned at all they could flag it up within the BIA.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:30 am

If she feels unsecure to attend a ceromony, she can ring the Council and choose a date where she attends at the Council Offices to collect her certificate from there. They will ask her a few basic questions and will get her to sign to say she has collected here certificate . Takes about 5 minutes. You can take your spouse with you, no problem.

Dont panic its a doddle. Like the previous post has stated the passport interview is tougher, but they have interpreters in a number of languages should you need one

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:44 am

batleykhan wrote:If she feels unsecure to attend a ceromony, she can ring the Council and choose a date where she attends at the Council Offices to collect her certificate from there. They will ask her a few basic questions and will get her to sign to say she has collected here certificate . Takes about 5 minutes. You can take your spouse with you, no problem.
Are you talking about arranging a private ceremony? As I thought you had to have a ceremony of some sort where you said your Oath or Affirmation of allegiance.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:09 am

Are you talking about arranging a private ceremony? As I thought you had to have a ceremony of some sort where you said your Oath or Affirmation of allegiance.
Yes you can do that in front of the person who is going to interview you from the Council in a Council Office, rather than attending one where the Lord Mayor is doing it.

Ring your local Council Office and tell them you cant make it on the date that they have given you because of work commitment and ask them if you could call down to the Council Offices to do the Oath or Affirmation and collect your certificate.

Providing you do it in office hours, they is no charge. all you do is attend, do the Oath and collect your certificate. If you want a private ceremony where you invite your family and friend and have the razmattaz, then there is a charge for this service. Best to ring your Local Council office and ask them first.

naav

Post by naav » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:53 pm

2) They won't test her at the ceremony, but I guess if the interviewer at the passport interview is concerned at all they could flag it up within the BIA.

:( 1. But surely if she's already got her ESOL with Citizenship qualification which is sufficient for ILR and Naturalisation, they can't take her British Citizenship away from her?

2. And she needs a passport to leave the country?
If she feels unsecure to attend a ceremony,
3. I would be going with her so I take it I could help her along, couldn't I?
they have interpreters in a number of languages should you need one
4. Would they give me the opportunity or allow me to sit with her during the interview?

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:56 pm

naav wrote:Thank you :)

:( 1. But surely if she's already got her ESOL with Citizenship qualification which is sufficient for ILR and Naturalisation, they can't take her British Citizenship away from her?

2. And she needs a passport to leave the country?
If she feels unsecure to attend a ceremony,
3. I would be going with her so I take it I could help her along, couldn't I?
they have interpreters in a number of languages should you need one
4. Would they give me the opportunity or allow me to sit with her during the interview?

1. All I was thinking was that if someone turned up at a passport identity interview who had an English qualification to gain ILR/citizenship but couldn't communicate well enough in English the interviewer may think that the English qualification was obtained fraudlently or the person wasn't who they said they were.

2. Only if her old passport hadn't been cancelled.

3. Yes you can go along and help her. Though as I said during my wife's ceremony all the guests had to sit at the back.

4. You may be able to the room, but I don't think they will allow you to sit next to your wife (and help her with the questions).

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:03 pm

1. All I was thinking was that if someone turned up at a passport identity interview who had an English qualification to gain ILR/citizenship but couldn't communicate well enough in English the interviewer may think that the English qualification was obtained fraudlently or the person wasn't who they said they were.
If you go for the passport nterview in Leeds,you can ask for interpreters if you cant fully understand the question (maybe becuase of the way we speak English in Yorkshire :lol: ).

The passport interview is mainly to identify that you are the person applying for the passport. They do not test you on your English.

When you take your Esol for ILR,they want to see your passport first, so you are who you are.You cant fiddle the present sytem in any way now

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:37 pm

batleykhan wrote:When you take your Esol for ILR,they want to see your passport first, so you are who you are.You cant fiddle the present sytem in any way now
I'm sure the colleges who do ESOL are experts on spotting fake foreign passports...

Seem to remember the test centres for Life in the UK tests centres will take other forms of ID as well.

naav

Post by naav » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:07 pm

naav

Post by naav » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 am

I called the local authority in order to arrange the ceremony date and they said someone would call in 10 working days to arrange the date.

Has anyone ever had someone from the local authority or the passport office remark or make an issue if a spouse calls on behalf of the applicant i.e. have they ever said, 'we'd like to speak to the applicatant her/himself' or 'why doesn't he/she speak to us themself'?

:)