ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation and problem with Tax code

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rahi
Newly Registered

Naturalisation and problem with Tax code

Post by rahi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi
I have one query about naturalisation application I want to apply for British Citizenship in September my problem is that I have two jobs My first jobs is with resturant which is my main job where i work full time and I am working there for a while there In march this year I start another cleaning which is 12 hrs per on my second I should have charged 20% BR code tax but my employer didnot deduct any tax from my wages for about three month I think i was my fault When I filled up p46 i Said I donot have another Job But now I called HMRC and i told them that I have second job Since April could please change my tax code to BR on my second Job and they did it. now I received my wage with deduction
and my tax code is BR are now for the second job. After all this

My query is How the underpaid tax will be adjusted which is roughly about £180 and my second query is will it make any problem for my Naturalisaton Application.
Any reply will be much apreciated
Thanks

rahi
Newly Registered

Post by rahi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:44 am

Please any one can with same situation

thank you

rahi
Newly Registered

Post by rahi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:15 pm

surely there will be somone in same position as mine i worring about it what is the best option for please apply now or wait until next year
thank you

hampine
Newly Registered

Post by hampine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:25 pm

to be honest with you. i dont think its a big problem at all. make your application and put down the details of the job you have that you have a tax code for which is your main job. remember you dont even need to have a job anyway to be naturalised.

abi_abc
Newly Registered

Post by abi_abc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Please don't worry about this.

It will not affect your naturalisation application. When the application mentions taxes etc and asks for records this is for people who are self employed or have their own business.

However, as you say you will probably owe some underpaid tax. As your second job started in March you will owe from then until the end of the last tax year - 5 April 2010.

What you need to do is get on the HMRC website and read up about tax returns and self assessment. You probably should call the HMRC again and tell them what you earned from March to 5 April that hasn't been taxed at all. They may ask you to fill in a tax return or other form just to work out if you paid enough tax. You will have to disclose all your income from 6 April 2009 to 5 April 2010 so that they can calculate. Whatever happens you won't actually have to pay this underpaid tax until 31 January 2011. It has to be paid by that date but isn't overdue before. But you do need to tell HMRC about it as it won't be adjusted automatically because of it being in a past tax year.

By the way you say you are now being taxed at BR (basic rate) on your second job. This is correct. Can you tell if they have put you on BR all the way back to April or are just taxing you on what you earn since going on BR? It might show as Week 1 or Month 1 if they aren't backdating it. You will also be able to tell if the first time your employer used BR you paid more tax than you do now.

Hope this is clearer than mud

Abi