ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

E.U States Allowing Visa free Travel-E.U Fam&Residence c

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SeaJohn
Newly Registered

Post by SeaJohn » Thu May 10, 2012 8:23 am

I'm not sure if this it was discussed before.

Recently I received Permanent Residence card (EEA4 application). But it doesn't say that I'm family member of EEA national.

All embassies have requirements that in order to travel without visa I should provide Residence card of family member of EEA national.

Can I still travel without visa?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 pm

SeaJohn wrote:I'm not sure if this it was discussed before.

Recently I received Permanent Residence card (EEA4 application). But it doesn't say that I'm family member of EEA national.

All embassies have requirements that in order to travel without visa I should provide Residence card of family member of EEA national.

Can I still travel without visa?
The answer is that yes you can. You may find that airlines are unfamiliar with it.

CassiQ
Newly Registered

Correction about the Netherlands

Post by CassiQ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:35 pm

I currently hold the UK residence card as the family member of an EEA Citizen.

My Portuguese husband and I wanted to go for a city break in Amsterdam. Just to make sure that I didn't need a visa (as the first visa appointment was the day after we were supposed to leave for Amsterdam), I e-mailed the Dutch consulate. After a few e-mails back and forth, I received a very curt reply stating that I had to apply for a Schengen visa, even though it stated very differently on their website.

Obviously, this wasn't possible due to the dates we were wanting to go, so we changed our plans and went to Belgium instead - who also insisted that I make an appointment and get a visa to travel into the country.

I'm very weary of travelling without a visa, even though it is my husband's right to let me travel freely with him throughout the EU.

The blessing is that the visa requirements are nowhere near as detailed as they would be had I not been the family member of an EU national. The only thing I had to provide was proof of relationship (a plain marriage certificate, the original one issued in the country we were married in), and tickets as proof that we were entering the country we were applying to enter. We didn't have to supply financials, proof of accommodation, proof of employment or anything like that. On top of that, the visa was free!

So, at the end of the day just a formality and I wonder why did they bother in the first place?

This was April of this year (2012). When will everything be streamlined and standardised? Every time we want to travel, it's a different set of rules even though they're supposedly under the same directive!

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:22 am

Why is it always new members who say it is best to give in and apply for the visa? Are they planted in by the consulates?

All this praise for the ease in getting the visa... :x What about people who need to travel and stay overnight in a different city just in order to apply for the "free visa" and wasting maybe a month or more for a totally useless and illegal process?

If I have learnt one thing is that the consulates and embassies are the last place where to ask questions related to visas.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Correction about the Netherlands

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:11 pm

CassiQ wrote:I currently hold the UK residence card as the family member of an EEA Citizen.

My Portuguese husband and I wanted to go for a city break in Amsterdam. Just to make sure that I didn't need a visa (as the first visa appointment was the day after we were supposed to leave for Amsterdam), I e-mailed the Dutch consulate. After a few e-mails back and forth, I received a very curt reply stating that I had to apply for a Schengen visa, even though it stated very differently on their website.

Obviously, this wasn't possible due to the dates we were wanting to go, so we changed our plans and went to Belgium instead - who also insisted that I make an appointment and get a visa to travel into the country.

I'm very weary of travelling without a visa, even though it is my husband's right to let me travel freely with him throughout the EU.

The blessing is that the visa requirements are nowhere near as detailed as they would be had I not been the family member of an EU national. The only thing I had to provide was proof of relationship (a plain marriage certificate, the original one issued in the country we were married in), and tickets as proof that we were entering the country we were applying to enter. We didn't have to supply financials, proof of accommodation, proof of employment or anything like that. On top of that, the visa was free!

So, at the end of the day just a formality and I wonder why did they bother in the first place?

This was April of this year (2012). When will everything be streamlined and standardised? Every time we want to travel, it's a different set of rules even though they're supposedly under the same directive!
A residence card works in lieu of a visa. Try it.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:11 pm

If i uk citzen was to book holiday to france would non eu spouse in non eu country be able to come out and join us for the holiday?
What documents would we need. And do we fill in the * on visa form or not?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:49 pm

sarahpoole wrote:If i uk citzen was to book holiday to france would non eu spouse in non eu country be able to come out and join us for the holiday?
What documents would we need. And do we fill in the * on visa form or not?
The non-EU national needs to accompany or join the EU family member. If this condition is satisfied, then the directive 2004/38/EC applies. The * don't need to completed.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:37 pm

So for example i booked eurostar frm uk to paris on 21st dec..and arrived 21st to hotel accomadation and non eu spouse catched flight on 22nd to same accomadation..this would be case of nit filling out * part on form. What is invitation letter from host they ask for?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 pm

sarahpoole wrote:So for example i booked eurostar frm uk to paris on 21st dec..and arrived 21st to hotel accomadation and non eu spouse catched flight on 22nd to same accomadation..this would be case of nit filling out * part on form. What is invitation letter from host they ask for?
Yes, this would be "joining". It would be worth your while reading this (part III in particular).

http://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/polici ... 620_en.pdf

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:07 pm

So the border will refuse? If im reading correct part. Is there any legal ways round my problem.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:09 am

sarahpoole wrote:So the border will refuse? If im reading correct part. Is there any legal ways round my problem.
If he had a visa to join you, he should not be refused. (To oversimplify, you need to be in France first or travel together).

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:10 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
sarahpoole wrote:So for example i booked eurostar frm uk to paris on 21st dec..and arrived 21st to hotel accomadation and non eu spouse catched flight on 22nd to same accomadation..this would be case of nit filling out * part on form. What is invitation letter from host they ask for?
Yes, this would be "joining". It would be worth your while reading this (part III in particular).

http://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/polici ... 620_en.pdf
Did you read the document? The directive applies to your case.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks..i read page111...iv now gone to partlll
because i tried this b4 i was this summer in germany visiting friends and i rung german embassy in the non eu country and they insisted i do formal obligation.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:11 pm

So it wasnt possible cause i wasnt living in germany just visiting and didnt bring with with all these documents they wanted..i wud of prolonged my trip if he was able to join but wasnt prepared to go home and come back with all these papers.
Was they correct in asking for it?

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 pm

I also sent a email to french embassy in non eu country they claim that there is 60pound visa fee.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 pm

sarahpoole wrote:I also sent a email to french embassy in non eu country they claim that there is 60pound visa fee.
The fee is not applicable.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Do you suggest i send email of the link to the rules u gave me?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Why not? The directive 2004/38/EC is clear, no fee for family members of EU nationals accompanying or joining family member.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:48 pm

I spoke bk to french embassy and they now say that we have to submit documents to show ties in non eu residing country incase we are trying to run off. Also have to provide documents of bank statements covering whole of trip of hotel etc plus 65 euros per day per person. So tht wud be proves we have 180 euros per day for two weeks plus the flight money and hotel money is that correct? They wasnt very clear.

mastermind

Post by mastermind » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:44 pm

These are illegal demands. Even if you take a look at the application form for Schengen visa (if you choose to get one, you do not have to) you'll see that it says that fields marked with "*" do not need to be filled in by family members of EU nationals. Essentially all you have to provide is evidence of your relationship with the EU national. Period.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Thats what im telling them..they dont seem to listen. Do they put info on their job as that question is submitted before the write about spouse of eu citzen doesnt have to fil in. I said what documents does need to be submitted to show ties to their non eu country? Their response is what we think is nessicary to prove.

mastermind

Post by mastermind » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Refer them to the handbook linked here earlier (quote relevant parts from it along with the link): http://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/polici ... 620_en.pdf
This handbook establishes the rules they MUST work by.
If they refuse to, well, I guess that's what there is SOLVIT for: http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/site/index_en.htm

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:21 pm

sarahpoole wrote:I spoke bk to french embassy and they now say that we have to submit documents to show ties in non eu residing country incase we are trying to run off. Also have to provide documents of bank statements covering whole of trip of hotel etc plus 65 euros per day per person. So tht wud be proves we have 180 euros per day for two weeks plus the flight money and hotel money is that correct? They wasnt very clear.
This is nonsense, complain.

toves

Visa free travel to Norway

Post by toves » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi
Me Norwegian citizen who has exercised my rights in UK and my Nigerian husband travelled to Norway on the 24th of August without a visa. I had my registration card from UKBA and my husband his RC. I had to explain the law to the immigration officer, but after 10 minutes she came back and said everything is fine.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Visa free travel to Norway

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 pm

toves wrote:Hi
Me Norwegian citizen who has exercised my rights in UK and my Nigerian husband travelled to Norway on the 24th of August without a visa. I had my registration card from UKBA and my husband his RC. I had to explain the law to the immigration officer, but after 10 minutes she came back and said everything is fine.
Good for you.