ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Credits problem

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

naav

Tax Credits problem

Post by naav » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi everyone. :)

Does anyone have any advice for the following:

My wife came over to the UK in 2005. Our baby was born in 2006. I applied for Child Benefit in my name only and was told by the tax credits people I should do likewise for Child and Working Tax Credits. I later found out in 2007 that tax credits works differently in that her name has to be on it. My wife doesn't work and nor does she have a national insurance number. I called them to tell them this; they stopped my tax credits and sent in a letter saying that by the end of the tax year, I would have been overpayed by about £1500. I appealed in writing and on the form they sent me but it didn't get overturned.

They then said I should get my wife to get a NI number and they would then CONSIDER it once I put it in writing again, asking them to give me notional relief. I thought I would wait until she gets her ILR as she got FLR in 2007. I'm just about to send off the forms now. However, I just got another letter from the tax credits people telling me that this letter they sent me is their final decision. It's a strange letter in that they seem to be still assuming I'm single even though I told them I'm not and I put it in writing when I appealed.

So, they're asking me if I wish to write to them appealing this (again?) or call them to reach an agreement.

1. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

2. If I do decide to or if I have to pay back this £1500, can I pay them back in instalments?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:43 am

As you are British, there shouldn't have been any problems with a joint claim for tax credits under reg 3(2) Tax Credits (Immigration) Regulations 2003. She should apply for an NI number.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

naav

Post by naav » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Thank you :)