ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

False DV claims to secure ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dv_frustration
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

False DV claims to secure ILR

Post by Dv_frustration » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:10 am

Hello Everyone,

I am a British citizen currently facing false accusations of domestic abuse from my estranged wife. There has been no incidence of physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual abuse on my part. She stayed with me in the UK for a very short period, during which I became aware of her plans to make false allegations to secure Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). I doubt there is any genuine evidence against me.

I have two key questions:
1. What are the chances of someone in her position obtaining ILR based on fabricated claims of domestic violence? It seems improbable that the Home Office can be easily deceived in such matters.
2. Is eligibility for a place in a refuge and the three-month Domestic Violence Concession (DDVC) visa based solely on allegations of domestic abuse, without the requirement of concrete proof?

Thank you for your insights.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: False DV claims to secure ILR

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:47 am

The Home Office will want to see documented evidence of official reports of DV. e.g from police and/or GP. They don't simply take the word of the applicant.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Dv_frustration
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dv_frustration » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:43 am

Casa wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:47 am
The Home Office will want to see documented evidence of official reports of DV. e.g from police and/or GP. They don't simply take the word of the applicant.
I agree. My questions are primarily about the prospects of obtaining ILR based on fraudulent claims. The relevance of a police report should be considered, especially if it pertains to an incident they attended, rather than just allegations made to the police after separation when there’s no ongoing investigation.

Regarding the DDVC (Destitute Domestic Violence Concession) 3-month visa and placement in a refuge, is any evidence required, or is it granted solely based on allegations?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm

The threshold for granting ILR under the domestic violence route is understandably high to avoid abuse. In rare circumstances, such claims were used to circumvent the immigration system and as a way to stay in the UK when it was not appropriate. UKVI will evaluate the evidence and seriousness of the case to see if granting ILR is appropriate. The stronger the evidence, the higher the chance of being granted ILR. It is not possible to just make stuff up and get ILR

There is an official guide on this. Look for 'Table of evidence' in this guide: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... olence.pdf
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:40 pm

One factor that is considered is the length of time the individual has been in the U.K. You said she was only with you a short timr - how long was it?

Claiming DV after a short period in the U.K. is a red flag, so her “evidence “ will be examined closely.

Did you inform the Home Office that the marriage has ended, if not you should do so.

Dv_frustration
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dv_frustration » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:42 pm

zimba wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm
The threshold for granting ILR under the domestic violence route is understandably high to avoid abuse. In rare circumstances, such claims were used to circumvent the immigration system and as a way to stay in the UK when it was not appropriate. UKVI will evaluate the evidence and seriousness of the case to see if granting ILR is appropriate. The stronger the evidence, the higher the chance of being granted ILR. It is not possible to just make stuff up and get ILR

There is an official guide on this. Look for 'Table of evidence' in this guide: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... olence.pdf
It doesn’t take a cunning person much time to create evidence. I have heard stories where a wife inflicted injuries on herself and visited a GP to have it documented, all without her husband’s knowledge. Despite losing a family court case for domestic violence against her husband, she still managed to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

Obtaining a letter from a refuge, which is considered strong evidence according to Home Office guidance, shouldn’t be difficult for anyone living there. This is why I asked whether it’s possible for anyone to secure a place in a refuge based solely on allegations.

Dv_frustration
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dv_frustration » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:55 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:40 pm
One factor that is considered is the length of time the individual has been in the U.K. You said she was only with you a short timr - how long was it?
Just 3.5 months
Frontier Mole wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:40 pm
Claiming DV after a short period in the U.K. is a red flag, so her “evidence “ will be examined closely.

Did you inform the Home Office that the marriage has ended, if not you should do so.
Yes, I did. The Home Office doesn’t require the marriage to have legally ended, but when you separate they curtail the leave.

My understanding is that individuals applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) under the Domestic Violence (DV) route first apply for the Destitute Domestic Violence Concession (DDVC) to obtain a temporary three-month visa and access to public funds. During this period, they prepare and submit their application for ILR.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:01 am

Dv_frustration wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:42 pm
zimba wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm

It doesn’t take a cunning person much time to create evidence. I have heard stories where a wife inflicted injuries on herself and visited a GP to have it documented, all without her husband’s knowledge. Despite losing a family court case for domestic violence against her husband, she still managed to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

Obtaining a letter from a refuge, which is considered strong evidence according to Home Office guidance, shouldn’t be difficult for anyone living there. This is why I asked whether it’s possible for anyone to secure a place in a refuge based solely on allegations.
I never heard of someone securing ILR after a very short period of time being in the UK. Each case is different and has its own merits. I'd say impossible for such a person to secure ILR. Also, in the guide I shared, merely the applicant’s account is NOT viewed as strong enough and most of those as moderate or weak evidence. It is understandable if you are angry at the situation but aren't you better off seeking legal advice on how to deal with the 'False allegations of domestic violence' rather than focusing on this ?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Dv_frustration
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dv_frustration » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:23 am

zimba wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:01 am

I never heard of someone securing ILR after a very short period of time being in the UK. Each case is different and has its own merits. I'd say impossible for such a person to secure ILR. Also, in the guide I shared, merely the applicant’s account is NOT viewed as strong enough and most of those as moderate or weak evidence. It is understandable if you are angry at the situation but aren't you better off seeking legal advice on how to deal with the 'False allegations of domestic violence' rather than focusing on this ?
The Home Office does not inform the alleged abuser about the nature of the allegations made against them. I have already sought legal advice and am not concerned about the legal aspects. The Home Office will neither question me nor share the claims made by my estranged wife. My anger stems from being deceived into a marriage solely for gaining entry into the UK, followed by false allegations of domestic abuse while benefitting from taxpayer funds, albeit temporarily. I hope her attempt to deceitfully obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) will be thwarted. However, without knowledge of the specific claims she has made against me and the credibility of these claims, predicting the outcome of this case with certainty is impossible.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:27 am

Presumably you have informed the home officr as required that the relationship is no longer subsisting. There is a form to complete to inform them.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Dv_frustration
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dv_frustration » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:10 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:27 am
Presumably you have informed the home officr as required that the relationship is no longer subsisting. There is a form to complete to inform them.
Yes, I’ve informed them and I believe they’ve curtailed the leave based on spouse visa.

Theboys
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Theboys » Fri May 03, 2024 1:07 pm

What is the outcome of your case ?
Did she get ilr ?
And what charges police put on you ?

Dv_frustration
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dv_frustration » Fri May 03, 2024 10:41 pm

Theboys wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:07 pm
Did she get ilr ?
She is still waiting for the outcome of her ILR DV, but she is very confident that she will receive it.

The police have not even spoken to me in relation to her allegations, and there have been no charges. They only contacted me to arrange for her to collect her belongings, and they were present to prevent a “breach of the peace.”

She managed to get a place at a refuge under false pretences of domestic violence. A letter of support from the refuge is considered compelling evidence, and I am sure she will receive a letter of support from other domestic violence agencies.

Theboys
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Theboys » Wed May 08, 2024 12:32 am

Are you on a bail?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 08, 2024 12:53 am

Dv_frustration wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:41 pm
Theboys wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:07 pm
Did she get ilr ?

The police have not even spoken to me in relation to her allegations, and there have been no charges.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Dv_frustration
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dv_frustration » Wed May 08, 2024 7:36 am

Theboys wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:32 am
Are you on a bail?
No. Police has not even contacted me in relation any allegations made against me.

Theboys
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Theboys » Wed May 08, 2024 8:12 am

Where is she from ?? Which country ?
And what about you ? You are by birth british ?

winnie321
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by winnie321 » Thu May 30, 2024 7:50 am

These questions are so irrelevant!