ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Relationship in the uk and the same time you get married back home

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dxbdxb
United Kingdom

Relationship in the uk and the same time you get married back home

Post by dxbdxb » Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 am

Dear Memebers thanks in advance

One of my friend had a relationship in the uk till November 2023, while he was in a relationship he went back home and got married in 2020 but he has not registered the marriage back home, now he got one year old son and he wants to bring his family to the uk, any chance he can bring his Mrs and son to the uk? if yes, what he need to do? please need your help. Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Relationship in the uk and the same time you get married back home

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:24 am

Is friend British or a foreign national ?
If not British what immigration status did he have?
The fact that he "had a relationship" in the UK is irrelevant.
Perhaps he could register here and provide his immigration history, to enable members to comment further.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dxbdxb
United Kingdom

Post by dxbdxb » Tue May 14, 2024 10:36 am

Thanks for the quick response,
He is britsh national and he got his british nationality on EU settlement scheme.
if he register his marriage will be any problem? the immigration officer will rasise any question?
what about his son status now he can apply for his son naturalisation? or he can apply direct for his passport? Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am

dxbdxb wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:36 am
Thanks for the quick response,
He is britsh national and he got his british nationality on EU settlement scheme.
if he register his marriage will be any problem? the immigration officer will rasise any question?
what about his son status now he can apply for his son naturalisation? or he can apply direct for his passport? Thanks
Not an expert on family visas...

Was the marriage conducted under the laws of the country (which?) - why wasn't it registered?
- Wife needs to apply for a UK spouse visa (https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse)
- Husband needs to reside in the UK first and comply with the financial requirements as sponsor of spouse.
- Wife needs valid visa to enter the UK (but not a visitor visa!)
- If son was born after father became BC he can apply for a British passport now (should have done so before).

Others may comment (or correct) further.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 14, 2024 10:56 am

Further to previous advice, when you refer to another 'relationship' in the UK, was this a marriage/civil partnership which hadn't been legally dissolved at the time. :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

dxbdxb
United Kingdom

Post by dxbdxb » Tue May 14, 2024 11:11 am

Thanks for the reply,
Yes marriage was conduted as per the country law(Nikah) but not registered, he can register now? if yes what date he can mention the day he get married? in november 2020? there will be any problem? becuase he was in a relationship in the uk with EU family till november 2023? his son born before his BC.Thanks

dxbdxb
United Kingdom

Post by dxbdxb » Tue May 14, 2024 11:19 am

Thanks for the reply, Relationship in the UK was dissolved legally in november 2023.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 am

Can't comment on "Nikah" aspect - is it recognised as legal marriage under local civil law (not religious)?

Son is not British as was born before father became British - son needs a family visa along with mother.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 am

Is your friend a EU national or did they get their settled status via EU spouse?
If it's the latter, declaring this relationship as beginning from 2020 may cause even more complications.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

dxbdxb
United Kingdom

Post by dxbdxb » Tue May 14, 2024 7:50 pm

He got his settled status via EU Spouse.
there is no way he can get family visa for his Mrs and son?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 14, 2024 8:12 pm

dxbdxb wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:50 pm
He got his settled status via EU Spouse.
there is no way he can get family visa for his Mrs and son?
If the second marriage took place before the previous marriage was legally dissolved, it won't be recognised under British law.

Therefore, the other woman currently living outside of the UK won't be considered as his legal wife for immigration purposes and won't qualify for a spouse visa.

It seems that your friend has got himself into a bit a a pickle. :idea: :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 18, 2024 11:29 pm

@Casa, in this case, as the first marriage with the second wife isn't registered and the friend in question is now legally divorced, can the friend now marry the second wife legally and then sponsor them?

To the OP, of course, keep in mind that your friend will have to meet all the requirements of a British citizen sponsoring their spouse, i.e. they need to meet the minimum income requirement, the spouse to meet the A1 English requirement, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 19, 2024 11:04 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:29 pm
@Casa, in this case, as the first marriage with the second wife isn't registered and the friend in question is now legally divorced, can the friend now marry the second wife legally and then sponsor them?
If the marriage was never registered under the legality of the country where it took place, then in my opinion they are now free to re-marry and legally register this. However, the issue may be that their son was born before the UK registered marriage was dissolved
(Casa, not CR001)