ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help With Naturalisation application(Student>FLRm>ILRm

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

extrovert

Help With Naturalisation application(Student>FLRm>ILRm

Post by extrovert » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi All

Before I start asking questions I would like to give a brief history of my immigration status.

I arrived in UK in June 2004, as an overseas student. I went back to my country in September 2004 and then later returned to UK In December, 2004 with my admission in Leeds Uni. I completed my MBA from Leeds Uni in 2007. My first student visa expired in September 2006 which was extended till June 2007. Meanwhile I got married to British citizen in Feb 2007 and I applied for spouse visa in Feb 2007 which was granted without much hassle.

My spouse visa expired in Feb 2009 and I have successfully got the ILR stamped on my passport last week.

I am looking to apply for Naturalistion and then eventually for British Passport, s you all may be aware that HO is increasing the fee from 06.04.2009 for Naturalisation applications and also bring some changes later in Law.

I have few following queries regarding my Naturlaistion application and would be of great help if someone can provide me with the advice.

q1. When is the earliest possible I can apply for the Naturalisation? Do I qualify under three years residence rule for married rule? or Do I need to wait till May, 2009 to qualify under five year residence rule?

q2. My wife is planning to go on Holidays next week, will I need her British passport with my application? If I apply through NCS, will they give our passports back and would she be able to travel. I am not going on holidays anyway.

q3. Once I applied and I have received the acknowledgement of receipt of application, Can I travel abroad for few weeks then?

q4. If I qualify under three year residence rule and apply say on 20/03/2009 that means I need to be present in the UK on 20/03/2006. I was holidays in March 2006 and came back to UK on 18/03/2006. Shall I go ahead and applyfor Naturalisation by the end of this month?

With the exception of the first gap in my residence in 2004 which was for about 98 days I haven't had any more gaps over the length of 6 weeks in all previous years. I haven't been out of the UK since December 2007. Total days I were absent are 210 days.

I know its a long scenario and sorry to be a pain, I thought I might ask all questions I have with all the relevant information rather than asking questions without sufficient information.

I thank all of you in anticipation of getting valueable advice from you guys.

Regards

whirly

Re: Help With Naturalisation application(Student>FLRm>

Post by whirly » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:23 pm

Congratulations on your ILR!

Using your numbering:

1. Yes, you qualify to apply based on 3 years residence / spouse of a UK citizen.

2. Yes, you will need to submit your wife's passport. If you apply via NCS, they will return your passports. As far as I know, your wife is free to travel any time after that.

3. Yes, you can travel after the HO has received your application.

4. Yes, you can apply after 18 March since you were in the country on 18/03/2006.

Sounds like you know the process... Go ahead and make your NCS appointment. Depending where you are, you might have trouble getting an appt before the fees increase, though! Fingers crossed :)

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:02 pm

Appreciated, thanks for your reply.

I have just studied the forum and learnt from it what I need to do so the credit goes to the forum really.

I wonder if you could please answer some further queries of mine please.

q1. If I dont get the NCS appointment before I go the fee increase can I go to any NCS office(Manchester/Bradford etc) instead of Leeds to get an appointment in time?

q2. What form do I need to use for my application, if its Form AN then do I need to give all of my addresses in the last five years as I have been living in UK for the last five years or Do I just need to give last three years as I will be applying under three years rule.
I really dont remeber some of my addresses where I lived in 2004 on short term(1-2months) basis..........see next repy please
Last edited by extrovert on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Sorry I couldn't get all my queries in the available space above.

q3. What documents do I need to give as supportive documents. Would my passport with the entry stamp not be enough.

Could you please suggest any other documents you can think of.

I really appreciate your help

Regards

whirly

Post by whirly » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:20 pm

extrovert:

1. My understanding is that you can go to any NCS, as long as they agree to give you an appointment. Call around. They are all likely to be busy, though, especially just before the fee increase. Good luck!

2. Yes, you need Form AN. All the required docs are listed on the form. Don't give them more than they ask for - just what's needed for applicants who are spouses of British citizens. Addresses for the past 3 years are fine. Same for travel history (section 2.2) - just the last 3 years.

3. Supporting docs are all listed on the form (page 16). At the very least, you'll need to submit your passport with ILR stamp, your wife's passport, marriage certificate, Life in the UK Test pass certificate. That should be enough but read the form to make sure you have everything for your case.

Best wishes...

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks Whirly, I will ring tomorrow all the NCS offices within 40 miles and will keep you informed.

Is there any dos and donts you can advise?

Cheers

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi Whirly, I have got an appointment at NCS on 26/03. The guy I spoke to said he will send me the confirmation letter advising what documents do I need to bring with me at appointment.

mads

Post by mads » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 am

I have recently applied for naturalisation under the spouse three year rule through NCS and all I needed was:
  • My passport with ILR stamp in it
    Husband's passport
    Our marriage certificate
    Life in the UK test
    Payment slip to pay for the application
    Completed application form
The registrar at the NCS went through the form with me, checked that I had completed everything, took copies of my paperwork and sent it off on my behalf. They do ask that you do not leave the country for the first 5 days after application as BIA may write to you asking for more information.

All the best with your application.
Partner: British Citizen; Me: SA with ILR (qualified through spouse visa). Updated March 2009 - naturalised.

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi Mads, thanks for sharing your experience. I am going to take following documents with me

* my passport
* my photo driving licence
* bank, building society or credit card statements issued to you in the last six months.

and in addition to my application based on married to BC

I will provide my passport showing permission to remain in the United Kingdom permanently(ILR)

* my partner's passport or birth certificate; and
* my marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Would anyone recomend any further documents to take with me? Do I need to provide a letter from my emplyer stating my employment status and a letter from my university showing that I were enrolled in a post graduate course from 2005-2007.

Many thanks for your help and I will look forward for your reply.

momer79

Do you really qualify for Citizenship?

Post by momer79 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi, I don't think you qualify for BC as you mentioned that you got your ILR in Feb 2009, three year residence rule apply from the date you got your FLR(M) so i think you will be qualified in Feb 2010.

Am i right?

Thanks

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi, I have been advised on this forum that I am elegible because I have been living in the UK for the last 5 years.
Before my FLR(m) visa I had student visa.

I qualify as I have three years residence. See my other posts. Could anyone please confirm that I am elegible to apply for naturalisation?

Thanks

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:11 pm

I have received my NCS appointment confirmation letter. The documents listed on that confirmation letter have a following requiremt

=>Proof of Indefinite leave to remain in the UK(must have had this for at least one year.

The above support what 'momer79' said. Can anyone please advise me what to do as I'll be wasting £££ if I am not elegible.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:20 pm

The question has been asked literally hundreds of times and the answer is always the same:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ofcitizen/

momer79

One year on ILR.

Post by momer79 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi, You need to have ILR for at least one year before you apply for BC.

I hope it helps.

Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Re: One year on ILR.

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:15 pm

momer79 wrote:Hi, You need to have ILR for at least one year before you apply for BC.

I hope it helps.
It doesn't help in any way - because it's wrong advice!

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:06 am

If you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, then it's not necessary to hold ILR for at least a year under section 6(2) (see Naturalisation as a British citizen under section 6(2) > 3(c)).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.