ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIMELINE AFTER NATURALISATION APPLICATION SUBMISSION

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amir2002
Newly Registered

Post by amir2002 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:56 pm

NCS or Postal: postal
Date of submission or posting: 10 jun 08
CRITERIA: Spouse of British Citizen
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 12 jun
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 13 jun
Date of receipt of approval: 21 oct (dated 15 oct)
Invitation Letter: 23 oct (dated 17 oct)
Date of Ceremony: 24 oct(private)
Date of appln. for passport: 24 oct
Method used: Check & Send
Additional Documents Requested: 29 oct
Additional Documents Sent: 12 nov
Additional documents:letters from my employers confirm my previous addresses(past three years)
Date of receipt submitted documents: 18 nov
Interview date: 20 nov
Date of Receipt of Passport: n/a
* Additional docs were requested to confirm my previous addresses,i do
thanks again

tobiashomer

Post by tobiashomer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:54 pm

Sarah, both my referees are retired university lecturers. I hope being retired is not an issue!

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:52 pm

NCS or Postal: NCS
Date of submission or posting: 10 Jun
CRITERIA: Work Permit
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 05 Aug
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 05 Aug
Date of receipt of approval: 19 Nov (dated 07 Nov)
Invitation Letter: 19 Nov (dated 07 Nov)
Date of Ceremony: ????????????????

Hi There,

Hope you can help me.

Today I got citizenship invitation letter by UK Border Agency to attend the citizeship ceremony to get my british citizenship certificate. But I am flying to India in three weeks time, My question is, can I fly on my Indian passport after attending the ceremony as I will be British Citizen. I have not got enough time to apply for my new british passport, or do you suggest attending the ceremony after my visit from India.

Please confirm.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

whirly

Post by whirly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:44 am

sum-img wrote:Hi There,

Hope you can help me.

Today I got citizenship invitation letter by UK Border Agency to attend the citizeship ceremony to get my british citizenship certificate. But I am flying to India in three weeks time, My question is, can I fly on my Indian passport after attending the ceremony as I will be British Citizen. I have not got enough time to apply for my new british passport, or do you suggest attending the ceremony after my visit from India.

Please confirm.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.
If you can afford to wait until you return from India, that would certainly be less complicated (and give you something to look forward to upon coming back to the UK.) How long will you be away? Can you schedule your ceremony within the next 90 days?

Having said that, you can probably get away with traveling to India after you become a BC. It is highly unlikely that the Indian authorities will find out (unless you tell them) and the British won't mind you holding dual nationality. One thing to consider is that technically, once you become naturalised, your ILR is no longer valid (in the eyes of the HO, you don't need it once you're British.) You *should* re-enter the UK either using a Right of Abode stamp or a British passport. However, they tend to give people a grace period since they know it can take 4-6 weeks to get a British passport. It is also unclear how quickly they update their internal records; chances are, the IO at the airport won't even know you have already naturalised. I traveled to the Czech Republic and back the week after I got citizenship and had no problems re-entering on my USA passport.

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:44 pm

whirly wrote:
If you can afford to wait until you return from India, that would certainly be less complicated (and give you something to look forward to upon coming back to the UK.) How long will you be away? Can you schedule your ceremony within the next 90 days?

Having said that, you can probably get away with traveling to India after you become a BC. It is highly unlikely that the Indian authorities will find out (unless you tell them) and the British won't mind you holding dual nationality. One thing to consider is that technically, once you become naturalised, your ILR is no longer valid (in the eyes of the HO, you don't need it once you're British.) You *should* re-enter the UK either using a Right of Abode stamp or a British passport. However, they tend to give people a grace period since they know it can take 4-6 weeks to get a British passport. It is also unclear how quickly they update their internal records; chances are, the IO at the airport won't even know you have already naturalised. I traveled to the Czech Republic and back the week after I got citizenship and had no problems re-entering on my USA passport.
Cheers Whirly,

Logically it seems wrong as well. British citizen travelling on indian passport. Anyway mate I rang local authorities today, they said the latest they can do the ceremony is second week of December 2008, but I am travelling in that week so there is no chance of getting the british passport + visa for india after the ceremony.

As suggested I think I will wait till i get back. I am coming back first week of January, not that far. True something to look forward. The lady told me to ring back next week so that they can give me January dates. You are right it is valid upto three months. Not worth taking a risk... I am not going to lose anything if I do after my visit. Three months should be upto Feb 2008.

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:57 pm

hi again,

Actually yesterday i fired few emails to HO and Travel Advice Team at Foreign & Commonwealth Office asking the same question. Got reply from Foreign & Commonwealth Office stating, "As long as your passport is valid in date and you leave and enter the country on the same passport, there should not be a problem." Bit confused now what to do....

a merry can man
Newly Registered

Anybody still waiting longer than me? =(

Post by a merry can man » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:45 am

NCS or Postal: Postal
If NCS, which centre:
Date of submission: April 1st 2008
Category: Spousal
Date of debit of debit/credit card: May 12th 2008
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: May 19th 2008
Date of receipt of approval: NA
Date of ceremony: NA
Date of passport application: NA
Method used: NA
Date of passport receipt: NA

pinkest
Newly Registered

Post by pinkest » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:04 am

Hi,

I am in a similar situation. However, having spoken to my Local Authority, they told me that the Home Office guidance is that you have to attend the ceremony within 3 months of the Home Office approval letter.

So, in my case, My approval letter was dated 28th Oct. So I have to attend the ceremony before 28th Jan. I am travelling to India between 13 Dec and 1st Jan. So I have booked a citizenship ceremony for 7th Jan.

I would advise you to do something like this.

All the best.
sum-img wrote:
hi again,

Actually yesterday i fired few emails to HO and Travel Advice Team at Foreign & Commonwealth Office asking the same question. Got reply from Foreign & Commonwealth Office stating, "As long as your passport is valid in date and you leave and enter the country on the same passport, there should not be a problem." Bit confused now what to do....

sarah08
Newly Registered

Post by sarah08 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:50 pm

tobiashomer wrote:Sarah, both my referees are retired university lecturers. I hope being retired is not an issue!

Tobiashomer, Thanks so much for your reply!!! I really appreciate! [/b]

sarah08
Newly Registered

Post by sarah08 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:57 pm

tobiashomer wrote:Sarah, both my referees are retired university lecturers. I hope being retired is not an issue!

Tobiashomer, When did you apply Naturalision or could you please let me know when your get your approval letter?

Thanks again

amir2002
Newly Registered

Post by amir2002 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm

NCS or Postal: postal
Date of submission or posting: 10 jun 08
CRITERIA: Spouse of British Citizen
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 12 jun
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 13 jun
Date of receipt of approval: 21 oct (dated 15 oct)
Invitation Letter: 23 oct (dated 17 oct)
Date of Ceremony: 24 oct(private)
Date of appln. for passport: 24 oct
Method used: Check & Send
Additional Documents Requested: 29 oct
Additional Documents Sent: 12 nov
Additional documents:letters from my employers confirm my previous addresses(past three years)
Date of receipt submitted documents: 18 nov
Interview date: 20 nov
Date of Receipt of Passport: 24 nov
it is me i got my passport this morning :D thank you to every one who had helped my and good luck to the rest :wink:

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:43 am

pinkest wrote:Hi,

I am in a similar situation. However, having spoken to my Local Authority, they told me that the Home Office guidance is that you have to attend the ceremony within 3 months of the Home Office approval letter.

So, in my case, My approval letter was dated 28th Oct. So I have to attend the ceremony before 28th Jan. I am travelling to India between 13 Dec and 1st Jan. So I have booked a citizenship ceremony for 7th Jan.

I would advise you to do something like this.

All the best.
sum-img wrote:
hi again,

I am leaving the idea of having the ceremony before my holidays to India. Will do afterwards.

I rang the local authorities three times, they keep saying we have not got any dates from january, ring us in two weeks time then we would be able to give you dates for january. Hopefully they will give me dates in december before flying to india.

What about this private ceremony??

Thanks for all help so far.

whirly

Post by whirly » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:44 pm

amir2002: Congratulations! Are you planning your first trip on your new passport yet?

sum-ing: Read here about private ceremonies. As it says, you should contact your local authority to arrange one. Usually there is a fee for this. I think a few people on this thread have done it.

amir2002
Newly Registered

Post by amir2002 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:16 pm

hi whirly and thank you
we may go to italy in Feb(not %100 sure about it because i guess i will be really cold by then)we are searching the internet for good place+not really cold any way.are you going any where? :wink:

whirly

Post by whirly » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:59 pm

amir2002 wrote:hi whirly and thank you
we may go to italy in Feb(not %100 sure about it because i guess i will be really cold by then)we are searching the internet for good place+not really cold any way.are you going any where? :wink:
What about southern Italy? Is it cold there in February, too? My husband and I went to Lisbon 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. If you like seafood, I'd recommend it. (Not sure about the Feb weather, though). It was great flashing my British passport through the EU queues :)

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:07 pm

Good news at last. Today received the approval letter for my (along with my family) citizenship application. Following is my timeline,

NCS or Postal : NCS
Date of submission or posting: Submitted to NCS on 26-Aug-2008
CRITERIA - 5 yrs (WP+HSMP) + 1 yr ILR
Date of debit of debit/credit card : 28-Aug-2008
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 01-Sep-2008 (dated 28-Aug-2008)
Date of receipt of approval: 27-Nov-2008 (dated 24-Nov-2008)
Date of Ceremony: Awaiting
Date of appln. for passport : Awaiting
Method used : Awaiting
Date of Receipt : Awaiting

ensalmo
Newly Registered

Post by ensalmo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Date of application: 28 July 2008
Date of approval: Letter received 27 November 2008 dated 19 November.
Category: Family member of an EEA National (6 years)

DATE OF CEREMONY 4TH DECEMBER
DATE OF APPLICATION FOR PASSPORT 4TH DECEMBER
DATE OF INTERVIEW 15TH DECEMBER
PASSPORT RECEIVED 17TH DECEMBER

Thank you for this forum.
Last edited by ensalmo on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

vohrap
Newly Registered

Post by vohrap » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:57 pm

Applied on 9th Oct ...
Fees taken out on 20th Oct ...

About 6 weeks ... still waiting .......

I hope it all turns up well ........

pinky22

Completed

Post by pinky22 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:33 pm

NCS or Postal : NSC
Date of submission or posting : Posted on 5th August, recieved by Home office 6th August 2008
CRITERIA - 5yrs+1yrs
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 08th August
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 08th August (Arrived 13th August)
Date of receipt of approval: 28th Nov, Dated 21st Nov
Date of Ceremony:9th Dec
Date of appln. for passport..17th Dec
Method used: post office, Check and Send
Date of Interview: 28th Dec
Date of Receipt:2nd Jan 2009
Last edited by pinky22 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:59 am

NCS or Postal : NSC
Date of submission or posting : Posted on 5th August, recieved by Home office 6th August 2008
CRITERIA - 5yrs+1yrs
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 08th August
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 08th August (Arrived 13th August)
Date of receipt of approval: 28th Nov, Dated 21st Nov
Date of Ceremony:9th Dec
Date of appln. for passport......
Method used
Date of Receipt
Did u get your ceremony invitation letter along with your approval letter?
I got my approval letter on 27th November, but have not received the invitation letter as yet !

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:03 am

Applied on 9th Oct ...
Fees taken out on 20th Oct ...

About 6 weeks ... still waiting .......

I hope it all turns up well ........
If you look at the time lines mentioned in this thread, you will notice that average processing time is approx 3 months. Your's is still into 6th week or so, hence I guess you will need to wait for a bit longer.
Hope for the best and everything will turn out fine.

pinky22

Post by pinky22 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:06 am

Did u get your ceremony invitation letter along with your approval letter?
I got my approval letter on 27th November, but have not received the invitation letter as yet ![/quote]

Yes i got the invitation and approval letter together. you would need to call your local authority to book a date.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:05 am

pinky22, thanks foryour response.

you are right I will have to call local authority to book an appointment for the ceremony, but I can do that only after I receive my invitation letter. So I've to wait for it, I guess.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:14 pm

NCS or Postal : NCS
Date of submission or posting: Submitted to NCS on 26-Aug-2008
CRITERIA - 5 yrs (WP+HSMP) + 1 yr ILR
Date of debit of debit/credit card : 28-Aug-2008
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 01-Sep-2008 (dated 28-Aug-2008)
Date of receipt of approval: 27-Nov-2008 (dated 24-Nov-2008)
Date of receipt of invitation letter/s : 12-Dec-2008 (dated 03-Dec-2008)
Date of Ceremony: 23-Dec-2008 (private)
Date of appln. for passport : Awaiting
Method used : Awaiting
Date of Receipt : Awaiting

sashank

Re: Naturalisation

Post by sashank » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:25 pm

deleted by user
Last edited by sashank on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.