ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How do I do this?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, CR001, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, Administrator

BumbleBeeAnatomy
Newly Registered
Ireland

How do I do this?

Post by BumbleBeeAnatomy » Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:00 am

I have been in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend of almost 2 years. I live in Ireland, she lives in Illinois, USA. Currently I am unemployed due to injury from a work place accident, so I am on a social welfare payment - I mention this because I've read from other forums about how if the person applying for a visa doesn't have an income or degree, it might be harder.

We've talked about marriage, we're both very serious about out futures. I love her, and she loves me. Obviously an engagement has to come first, we're not trying to rush anything. But I'm looking to know what I have to do, what ducks I have to have in a row for my part so that we can have the future we want together.

Can someone give me some direction on where to start? What forms I have to familiarize myself with, what eventual pathways I will have to go down. What can I start doing ~now~ that will help us in the future?

Thank you in advance

alterhase58
Germany

Re: How do I do this?

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:17 am

Suggest you browse the official US government immigration website: https://www.uscis.gov/
Get the facts first. US immigration rules are complicated/tough especially for gaining residency.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: How do I do this?

Post by Ticktack » Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:52 am

BumbleBeeAnatomy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:00 am
I have been in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend of almost 2 years. I live in Ireland, she lives in Illinois, USA. Currently I am unemployed due to injury from a work place accident, so I am on a social welfare payment - I mention this because I've read from other forums about how if the person applying for a visa doesn't have an income or degree, it might be harder.

We've talked about marriage, we're both very serious about out futures. I love her, and she loves me. Obviously an engagement has to come first, we're not trying to rush anything. But I'm looking to know what I have to do, what ducks I have to have in a row for my part so that we can have the future we want together.

Can someone give me some direction on where to start? What forms I have to familiarize myself with, what eventual pathways I will have to go down. What can I start doing ~now~ that will help us in the future?

Thank you in advance
From your words, it's not clear, but since it's a US forum, I'll go with you wanting to immigrate to the US.

Firstly, you don't need to have a job in Ireland however you girlfriend in the US needs to have one.

There has to be a few flights back and forth for either of you to show you're meeting/seeing each other. With pictures and other evidence.

You don't need to be married to make an application. You could start with a Fiancee visa which would give you a 90 day visa and allows you to get married whilst in the US. Then you can apply for an adjustment of status (AOS).

It's been said that a fiancee visa takes about 18 months to process, whilst a spouse visa takes about 2 years.

I guess it all depends on how soon you want to start a life together.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!