ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 2 student visa sick leave from school. Will the visa be affected?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, CR001, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, Administrator

overblood
Newly Registered
Ireland

Stamp 2 student visa sick leave from school. Will the visa be affected?

Post by overblood » Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:43 pm

TL;DR: can pregnant stamp 2 holders be signed off sick from school? Will this affect her visa status?

My Brazilian girlfriend and I (Irish) are expecting a child in December.

She has a stamp 2 student visa and goes to school and work Monday to Friday.

She's basically out of the house for 10 hours a day. Comes back at 10.30pm.

She has also just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, which has made everything more difficult. It involves testing blood seven times a day and following a strict diet and eating timetable.

Basically it's becoming too much for her to handle. She would like to get signed off sick from the school part at least. She will continue to work.

Will this affect her visa status?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Stamp 2 student visa sick leave from school. Will the visa be affected?

Post by meself2 » Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:51 pm

Is it a long-term issue that is preventing her from studying? How long is her current stamp for?

Stamp 2 is a stamp issued with a purpose of study, work is supplemental. If she is unable to continue her studies, I doubt that it would be possible to renew/extend the visa when the time comes.
Educational institution also may report it to ISD (as there's a certain attendance rate that has to be maintained); I wouldn't know what their look on it is.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

overblood
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by overblood » Fri Oct 04, 2024 2:06 pm

meself2 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:51 pm
Is it a long-term issue that is preventing her from studying? How long is her current stamp for?

I guess it's long term? She is pregnant with gestational diabetes and is due in two months. I guess she can go back to school when the baby is born but she'll be breastfeeding in the class.

Anyway, when the baby is born we'll begin the process for stamp 4.

Her stamp 2 expires in August 2025 I believe.

You're right, the stamp 2 is for studying and that's why she came here in the first place. But now a baby has put a spanner in the works and things have changed. She can expend her energy on either school or work, and she chose work. She wants to save money for the child, and pay PRSI to get maternity benefit. I can't force her to go to school.

I just want to know will getting signed off from school for the next couple of months cause an issue with her visa.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Oct 04, 2024 2:10 pm

overblood wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2024 2:06 pm
will getting signed off from school for the next couple of months cause an issue with her visa.
Formally it affects her attendance in a negative way, which may lead to visa issues, but looking at the situation as a whole, I would assume due to the fact it's for medical reasons and that you plan to switch to stamp 4 in a few months, it ahould be fine.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.