ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Italian Citizenship for UK national - documents query

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Aethelweard
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Italian Citizenship for UK national - documents query

Post by Aethelweard » Fri May 13, 2022 8:15 am

Dear forum users
I am British and my mother was an Italian citizen who never renounced her Italian Citizenship and I am seeking dual UK/Italian citizenship. At the Italian consulate in London website it says I need to obtain ‘Birth,marriage and death certificates for all the descendants including yourself.’ Does anybody know if this means I have to gather these documents for not only myself but also my brother and his two daughters, none of whom are applying for Italian Citizenship?
Best regards
Simon Aylward

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Italian Citizenship for UK national - documents query

Post by ALKB » Sun May 15, 2022 8:28 am

Aethelweard wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:15 am
Dear forum users
I am British and my mother was an Italian citizen who never renounced her Italian Citizenship and I am seeking dual UK/Italian citizenship. At the Italian consulate in London website it says I need to obtain ‘Birth,marriage and death certificates for all the descendants including yourself.’ Does anybody know if this means I have to gather these documents for not only myself but also my brother and his two daughters, none of whom are applying for Italian Citizenship?
Best regards
Simon Aylward
As far as I know, Italy does not have a limit on how many generations one can go back to base a claim of citizenship on. Lots of folks in the Americas get Italian passports based on a great-great-great-grandparent who immigrated a hundred or more years ago.

What needs to be proven, is that since then, no generation was born before their parent generation actively gave up Italian citizenship, so all decendents since the great-great-great-grandparent.

Since your mother was Italian, your parent generation is the only one you have to show documents for plus you.

To make sure, this really is a question for the Italian Consulate in London. In any case, they could definitely ask for additional papers beyond the minimum.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Aethelweard
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Italian Citizenship for UK national - documents query

Post by Aethelweard » Tue May 17, 2022 2:06 pm

Dear ALKB
Thank you for your reply. I asked the consulate as well, before I realised you had posted and they confirm exactly what you say. As my mother is my closest Italian relation I only need to obtain documents for her and myself in terms of my lineage. The wording on their website is somewhat lost in translation:
“Birth,marriage and death certificates for all the descendants including yourself” suggests they would want documents for all descendants from my mother which would mean my brother and his daughters as well. Thanks again.