ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling outside US while applied for OPT Extension

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sarathml86
India

Traveling outside US while applied for OPT Extension

Post by sarathml86 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:03 pm

Hi All

Please can someone advice if an individual can make travel outside US and re enter to US while he has applied for OPT Extension and yet to still receive the card.

I am enquiring for my brother who has secured a UK visitor visa and wonder if he can travel a nd re enter to US as he is still waiting for the card. He has Job in the US and applied for extension but yet to receive the card.

Really worried as he received some advices to not travel from his friends but having enquired with his employer legal team they did not seem to think there is any issues

Please if anyone here know for sure kindly helps out

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Traveling outside US while applied for OPT Extension

Post by Ticktack » Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:14 am

sarathml86 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:03 pm
Hi All

Please can someone advice if an individual can make travel outside US and re enter to US while he has applied for OPT Extension and yet to still receive the card.

I am enquiring for my brother who has secured a UK visitor visa and wonder if he can travel a nd re enter to US as he is still waiting for the card. He has Job in the US and applied for extension but yet to receive the card.

Really worried as he received some advices to not travel from his friends but having enquired with his employer legal team they did not seem to think there is any issues

Please if anyone here know for sure kindly helps out
If he has a valid re-entry authorization, yes he can. Please note that the re-entry is never guaranteed even when not renewing. The US ICE could be crazy like that. They even quiz Americans when they return, asking where they've come from, how long they've been away?

American immigration system could be weird like that. They even have the "Advanced parole" you can travel with instead of a visa.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!