ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of Status

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sam123

Change of Status

Post by Sam123 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:30 pm

Hi Forum

My WP is going to finish by the end of Sept 2004, and there is no possibility to renew it by my present employer. My wife is on Dependent Visa and she will be 30 years old by the middle of this week. She is working P/T at the moment.

Can she apply for Working Holiday Visa and I could be her dependent? Will I lose my 2 years spent on WP for PR? If you have any better idea- most welcome please

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Re: Change of Status

Post by Cosmopol » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:22 pm

Sam123 wrote:Can she apply for Working Holiday Visa and I could be her dependent?
Sam - you might want to fill us in on what citizenship does she hold. Sorry to hear you are acting just before her 30th birthday - not sure any leeway exists there...

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:07 am

Sam123 wrote:
My WP is going to finish by the end of Sept 2004, and there is no possibility to renew it by my present employer.
A change of plan from switching to a student visa as per your earlier post - you may wish to review the HSMP scheme and apply at the earliest opportunity. Success here maintains your stay in the UK in a category leading to settlement and you have the added bonus of employment/ self employment in a designated profession. Applications are currently taking 12 weeks on average to process but an in country applicant with a watertight application should be processed at the 6 week stage as it is easier to verify work experience and company existence.
My wife is on Dependent Visa and she will be 30 years old by the middle of this week. She is working P/T at the moment. Can she apply for Working Holiday Visa and I could be her dependent?
Yes she can apply for a WHV as it is for those aged up to 30 inclusive but must also meet the other criteria primarily being a citizen of a commonwealth country - you give no details of nationality!!. The WHM must be applied for abroad at the relevant British High Commission. You cannot be a dependent on a WHM visa holder - you would have to qualify for one in your own right. Note that for couples both must meet the criteria for WHM issuance so if you have aged out your wife won't get one..pretty harsh though the Entry Clearance Officer can issue one on a discretionary basis.
Will I lose my 2 years spent on WP for PR? If you have any better idea- most welcome please
Yes you will lose any time towards ILR if you go on to WHM visas. See my initial response for the ideal way forward = HSMP.

Hope things work out for the both of you.