ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalized citizen with expiring GNIB card due to travel in October

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kelzer
Newly Registered
Ireland

Naturalized citizen with expiring GNIB card due to travel in October

Post by kelzer » Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:22 am

My partner has just received her Irish Naturalization certificate last week. We are due to travel to Greece in Sept and Spain in early October but her GNIB residence card expires a few days before our Spain trip. Since she has to send her original Mexican passport in order to apply for a first time Irish passport, she won't get her new passport before we travel to Spain. Will showing her naturalization certificate at Dublin immigration be sufficient, or what could her options be? We don't want to cancel our Spain trip.

themike2
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Naturalized citizen with expiring GNIB card due to travel in October

Post by themike2 » Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:15 am

I suspect your partner will be very likely to be denied boarding by airlines flying back to Ireland if they cannot produce a valid IRP and/or a visa to enter the country. I think it could be a good idea to try to get a re-entry visa before that trip.

kelzer
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by kelzer » Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:18 am

Also forgot to mention boarding the return flight to Ireland with an expired GNIB card but showing the Naturalization cert. Would there be an issue here?

kelzer
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by kelzer » Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:20 am

themike2 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:15 am
I suspect your partner will be very likely to be denied boarding by airlines flying back to Ireland if they cannot produce a valid IRP and/or a visa to enter the country. I think it could be a good idea to try to get a re-entry visa before that trip.
Where and how can we apply for a re-entry visa?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:44 pm

kelzer wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:20 am
Where and how can we apply for a re-entry visa?
See viewtopic.php?p=2044798#p2044798

But your partner doesn't need it. Mexican citizens can go to Ireland visa free -> they can get on the plane as if they're going for tourism and explain the situation on the Irish border.
kelzer wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:18 am
Also forgot to mention boarding the return flight to Ireland with an expired GNIB card but showing the Naturalization cert. Would there be an issue here?
Yes, if your partner was a visa required national.
Airlines have no idea what is naturalization certificate and how to verify it. For them, acceptable travel documents are visa/IRP/(elegible) passport.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.