ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going abroad before getting the first Irish passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JoeCactus
Newly Registered
Ireland

Going abroad before getting the first Irish passport

Post by JoeCactus » Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:05 pm

Guys I'm going outside Europe for holidays but I won't have my Irish passport before departing.

At the moment I still have a GNIB card but It will be expired when I'll be coming back to the Ireland.

Is there anything to show to the inmigration officer in the airport in order to be able to get back into the country.

I won't even have the basic requirement for a tourist visit that is a return flight home. All I could have is my nonEU passport and my expired GNIB card, would they accept a copy of my naturalization certificate ?

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Going abroad before getting the first Irish passport

Post by Angel99 » Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:32 am

Hi,

You will have a hard time returning back to Ireland because the immigration at your country of departure can not verify the certificate plus the airline will deny you boarding. When your IRP has expired it becomes useless even in the state.

Best you wait for your Irish passport or risk getting stuck outside Ireland.

KyukChick
Kenya

Post by KyukChick » Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:22 pm

JoeCactus wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:05 pm
Guys I'm going outside Europe for holidays but I won't have my Irish passport before departing.

At the moment I still have a GNIB card but It will be expired when I'll be coming back to the Ireland.

Is there anything to show to the inmigration officer in the airport in order to be able to get back into the country.

I won't even have the basic requirement for a tourist visit that is a return flight home. All I could have is my nonEU passport and my expired GNIB card, would they accept a copy of my naturalization certificate ?
Possible solution at viewtopic.php?p=2044798#p2044798

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:47 pm

Does your nonEU passport allows visit to Ireland without a visa? If yes, you're fine.

If not, I concur with the above - you can try to get a re-entry visa, but will thry accept holidays as a reson? God knows.
Otherwise, if you leave the country, you have a big risk of not being able to return. Plan accordingly.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

JoeCactus
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JoeCactus » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:15 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:47 pm
Does your nonEU passport allows visit to Ireland without a visa? If yes, you're fine.

If not, I concur with the above - you can try to get a re-entry visa, but will thry accept holidays as a reson? God knows.
Otherwise, if you leave the country, you have a big risk of not being able to return. Plan accordingly.
Yes, with my passport I can come to Ireland without visa for up to 3 months, but the last time I used it in that way I remember they used to ask for a ticket back home, wherever it is.
Like as a condition for letting you in, you need to show that you're gonna leave eventually.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:53 pm

JoeCactus wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:15 pm
meself2 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:47 pm

Yes, with my passport I can come to Ireland without visa for up to 3 months, but the last time I used it in that way I remember they used to ask for a ticket back home, wherever it is.
Like as a condition for letting you in, you need to show that you're gonna leave eventually.
In that case you can use that to get on the plane and show your naturalisation certificate at the border, so they don't ask you about tickets back home.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.