ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Asylum Seeker applying for driving license?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bravefoot
Newly Registered

Asylum Seeker applying for driving license?

Post by Bravefoot » Sat May 06, 2017 9:24 pm

I am a 17 year old Asylum Seeker currently in a 6th form College and I will make 4 years of being in the UK this August. I've tried searching information about wherever I can apply for a driving license but all the websites I found were a bit confusing and I didn't understand much...

I especially saw this thing that said to apply for one I need to have permission to stay in the UK for at least 183 days? How would I know how many days I still have permission to stay? Or does it mean how many days I've lived in here as an Asylum Seeker?

I just need someone to explain to me a bit better :/

Thanks to anyone in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Asylum Seeker applying for driving license?

Post by CR001 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:36 pm

You need to have legal status and at least 183 days legal stay to get a drivers licence. If you were granted asylum, you should have evidence of this and will have to submit it.

If you have no legal status, unlikely you will get a drivers licence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bravefoot
Newly Registered

Post by Bravefoot » Sun May 07, 2017 1:07 pm

CR001 wrote:You need to have legal status and at least 183 days legal stay to get a drivers licence. If you were granted asylum, you should have evidence of this and will have to submit it.

If you have no legal status, unlikely you will get a drivers licence.
First, thanks for your reply!

What do you mean by legal status? And by "183 days legal stay" do you mean I must have lived in the UK for at least that amount of days or what?

Sorry for all the questions if they sound stupid, I don't know much about laws ^_^'

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Have you been granted Asylum and if so, when was this :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Bravefoot
Newly Registered

Post by Bravefoot » Sun May 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Casa wrote:Have you been granted Asylum and if so, when was this :?:
We were granted Asylum in 2013 (August)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 07, 2017 1:17 pm

In which case you should be able to apply for a Driving Licence.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Bravefoot
Newly Registered

Post by Bravefoot » Sun May 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Casa wrote:In which case you should be able to apply for a Driving Licence.
That's great, thank you!

Do you know what documents should I use to apply? I don't have a passport or birth certificate, I only have my ARC issued card by the Home Office and some letters (still from the Home Office)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Bravefoot wrote:
That's great, thank you!

Do you know what documents should I use to apply? I don't have a passport or birth certificate, I only have my ARC issued card by the Home Office and some letters (still from the Home Office)
HMPO are aware that this is common for those with asylum.

Submit your ARC, ideally together with any other documents you may have which prove your identity. As examples any of the following:
An old Standard Acknowledgement Letter (SAL)
NHS medical card
Payslips from employment
HMRC Notice of Tax Coding - P60 and/or P45
NI card
Home Office correspondence
Benefit notifications (if claimed)
(Casa, not CR001)

Bravefoot
Newly Registered

Post by Bravefoot » Sun May 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Casa wrote:
Bravefoot wrote:
That's great, thank you!

Submit your ARC, ideally together with any other documents you may have which prove your identity. As examples any of the following:
An old Standard Acknowledgement Letter (SAL)
NHS medical card
Payslips from employment
HMRC Notice of Tax Coding - P60 and/or P45
NI card
Home Office correspondence
Benefit notifications (if claimed)

Thank you very much for your help, my mom will be thrilled :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 07, 2017 1:44 pm

You're most welcome. Safe driving! :)
(Casa, not CR001)

Asmkha
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Asmkha » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi, I it has been nearly 3 years that I am in UK I am 22 years old, I am on asylum and have not been granted asylum yet. Can I apply for a provisional licence? I called the DVLA before but they said I can’t. Can You help please?
Thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Asmkha wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:48 pm
Hi, I it has been nearly 3 years that I am in UK I am 22 years old, I am on asylum and have not been granted asylum yet. Can I apply for a provisional licence? I called the DVLA before but they said I can’t. Can You help please?
Thanks.
Not until you have been granted asylum and completed 183 days of legal residence following your asylum approval.
(Casa, not CR001)