ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Joint Application for British Citizenship??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

goldis
Newly Registered

Joint Application for British Citizenship??

Post by goldis » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi Guy, I am due to apply for naturalization on the basis of 5 yrs wp+ 1 yr ILR.My wife has been in UK for 4 years and has an ILR too(Since LAST sep).
I was wondering if we could apply as a joint applicant for Naturalization and ask HO to decide on mine first then if it is approved wife's application can be considered?
Also does my wife needs to wait till i get my British passport or she can apply as soon as i get my naturalization approved on the basis of married to BC?
Your help much appreciated!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Reading this topic will be useful.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Others on this board have reported that the two applications have been made together in your circumstances, and the joint fee paid, but the important aspect they mention is that they enclosed a covering letter asking for the longest resident's application to be considered first, and if it is granted, for the other application then to be considered.

You try that method at your own risk. If you go ahead, do ensure that you were physically in the UK exactly five years before UKBA will receive your application and your wife was physically in the UK exactly three years before UKBA will receive the applications.

Needless to say, if your application is rejected, your wife's would be bound to fail.
John

goldis
Newly Registered

Post by goldis » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks John and Susha,
It seems a bit risky, will send mine first, Will i be able to apply her's as soon as my Naturalization get approved or have to hav British passport in my hand? Required document on the basis of married to BC asking for spouse passport?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Your wife may submit her application any moment after your naturalisation certificate is presented to you.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

mbj2929
Newly Registered

Re: Joint Application for British Citizenship??

Post by mbj2929 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:41 pm

Can we submit joint uk citizenship application when my spouse has only 3 years residence (including 1 yr on ILR) in UK? i have 6 years residence.
Any recent application approved with such case.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 am

See my post in this topic posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:58 pm.
John

robby92011
Newly Registered

Post by robby92011 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:50 am

Here's the reply I got ..posting for others who are looking for this answer from UKBA....

Reply: NAT 541 - RE: FAQ POLICY Clarification on how 'spouse application' is treated when making a 'joint application' for naturalisation as citizen POLICY ATTENTION

Nationality Policy Team - Liverpool <NationalityPolicyTeam.Liverpool@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk>
Jul 31 (3 days ago)

Dear Sir,

A person applying under s. 6(2) must be married to a British citizen on the date of application, therefore the main applicant would need to have applied and been granted citizenship under 6(1) for s. 6(2) to apply.

I trust this is helpful.

Regards

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

Blue Zone, 5th Floor, The Capital | Liverpool | L39PP