ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning to the UK after travel

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Returning to the UK after travel

Post by Jellybean105 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi
Summary..
We sent our EEA2 application (via surrinder singh) on the 18th of March. We received a COA with no right to work and have emailed to get it rectified but still no luck after 2 months!
We are planning to travel soon so we requested our passports back and received them today with a letter stating 'they are returned for travel' and if they need the passport back they'll ask for it. My husband is a visa required national and the family permit we entered UK with expired in April.

My question is.. will my husband (accompanying me) be allowed back to the UK without a valid UK family permit? We will be travelling international and my husband has an Ireland resident card.

Also, we have our passports but HO still have the resident card. So if we do need it for travel please advise so I can request HO to return the card as well.

Thanks
Moved to Ireland: Feb 13
UK FP: Granted November 13
Ireland RC: Granted Feb 14
Returned to the UK: Feb 14
Applied for EEA2: 18th March 14
EEA2 Rejected: October 14 (re-submitted docs)
EEA2 Granted: December 14 (valid till 2019!)

Hubba

Re: Returning to the UK after travel

Post by Hubba » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Jellybean105 wrote:Hi
Summary..
We sent our EEA2 application (via surrinder singh) on the 18th of March. We received a COA with no right to work and have emailed to get it rectified but still no luck after 2 months!
We are planning to travel soon so we requested our passports back and received them today with a letter stating 'they are returned for travel' and if they need the passport back they'll ask for it. My husband is a visa required national and the family permit we entered UK with expired in April.

My question is.. will my husband (accompanying me) be allowed back to the UK without a valid UK family permit? We will be travelling international and my husband has an Ireland resident card.

Also, we have our passports but HO still have the resident card. So if we do need it for travel please advise so I can request HO to return the card as well.

Thanks
I guess your marriage certificate is still with the HO, isn't it? If so, it may not be a good idea, since his EEA Family Permit is expired and you don't have any documentation proving his status as a family member of an EEA national. he may end up being denied boarding on the way back to the UK or in the border.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Thank you for the reply. We have another original marriage certificate. What else would we need to prove?

It could be that where we return from the airline won't know what family of EEA member is?

Is it possible to go Ireland and then come to the UK? I've read people entering without a visa but are a family member of an EU.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Jellybean105 wrote:Thank you for the reply. We have another original marriage certificate. What else would we need to prove?

It could be that where we return from the airline won't know what family of EEA member is?

Is it possible to go Ireland and then come to the UK? I've read people entering without a visa but are a family member of an EU.
Having another original marriage certificate is certainly good, but I'm afraid the airline may still deny boarding, mainly due to their own ignorance. Better check with them first and try to get their confirmation on paper. Ireland is in the common travel area, but from what I could gather most airlines would still require a valid visa for boarding to the UK, even if boarding on Ireland. Maybe somebody here in the forum has more experience on this and can clarify this.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks.. do you have an email address of anyone I can contact to clarify and maybe get some sort of a confirmation letter? I have no idea who to ask.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Jellybean105 wrote:Thanks.. do you have an email address of anyone I can contact to clarify and maybe get some sort of a confirmation letter? I have no idea who to ask.
Well, I guess you need to contact the airline and get them to confirm they would accept such documentation for boarding.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:32 pm

Can anyone else shed any light on the situation? Thank you!

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:06 am

If your application is pending at the UKVI, you do not necessarily need your marriage certificate for your Non EEA spouse to be admitted,they already have a copy, you do not need to show it again, if you are refused boarding which is likely, get in Via Ireland, easy, a bit of a stress, if you must make the journey, then it will be worth it.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:20 am

Thank you! What about the other documents? Like proof of exercising EU treaty rights? I know UK will let him in but getting the airline abroad to let him board the plane is what I'm worried about.

And if we were to apply for a UK permit in Ireland, will they have all the docs on file from our previous successful application? If not, I will have to request for more documents back from UKBA asap before we leave. And if we go Ireland will he need his GNIB card?? Or is the visa in his passport enough? Please let me know.

If we do go through Ireland without applying for a new permit, do you think we can get through the airlines with an expired one and a COA to confirm application.

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:36 am

You are most likely to be refused boarding, if you arrived in Ireland, why apply for another family permit? Get a flight, Ferry, Bus, not a problem to the UK, if getting a flight, avoid Rynair, you should be fine.
And if we go Ireland will he need his GNIB card?? Or is the visa in his passport enough? Please let me know.
:? :? :?

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:50 am

Oh thats great. So we really should just take a chance and go by flight! I thought it would be safe to apply again - but I would rather avoid it if I can.

Sorry, I meant.. My husband has an Ireland resident EuFam card but its with UKBA at the moment. His passport has a stamp that says hes permitted to stay in Ireland until 2019.
Will the stamp be enough to allow him to enter ireland from abroad or will he need the GNIB resident card as well to accompany?

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:13 am

It is not necessary to send his GNIB card with the application, it wasn't part of the requirement, a photocopy would have been sufficient, Yes he should be admitted into Ireland regardless of him holding his GNIB card , in that case you will need to have your marriage cert to hand , you never know when a Gardai would be having a bad day.

I have plied that route, at all times that I have done, I have gone via Belfast, no problem, some people on the board have boarded Rynair in the past without the request for visas or equivalent as well, just that with them, you cannot guaranty anything, anyother airline will be fine, the flight to and fro UK to IE are via local terminals, you should have no problem.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am

I understand it won't be a problem from Ireland to the UK. But we will be entering ireland from overseas so through an international terminal.. just checking he won't need the card as well?
We have an original marriage certificate with us :)
I know it was not a requirement but while we were in Ireland we were staying at a friends house so we didn't have any bills to prove we were living together. I included it along with daily receipts and joint bank account letter as proof of residing in Ireland together and exercising my eu treaty rights.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:32 am

Hi there

My husband has his Ireland GNIB card and our original marriage certificate. Also has the residency stamp in his passport for Ireland.
Will he be allowed back to the UK from overseas? Isn't a EuFam 5 year residency card enough proof that he is a spouse of an EU national. We will be travelling together.

Please can someone advise. Thanks

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Anyone?