ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employer can ask for repayment of visa fees upon termination?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sv-1697
Newly Registered
United States of America

Employer can ask for repayment of visa fees upon termination?

Post by sv-1697 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:42 am

Hello,

The company who is sponsoring my employment is asking me to sign a contract to repay the visa costs they have paid if either I resign, or if they terminate my employment at their discretion for what "in their reasonable opinion" is a valid reason.

The repayment schedule is as follows:

a) if employment terminates on or before the first anniversary of your start 
date, all outlay on visa costs will be immediately repayable;
b) if employment terminates after the first anniversary of your start date but on 
or before the 18-month, two-thirds of those costs will be immediately repayable; 
c) if employment terminates after the 18-month point but on or before the 
second anniversary of start date, one-third of those costs will be immediately repayable.
Thereafter, no repayment shall be required.

Is this standard for any employment contract involving a Tier 2 visa sponsor? Does anyone else have similar clauses in their contract?

Thank you.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Employer can ask for repayment of visa fees upon termination?

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:51 am

Hello

This is not an immigration question.

As an employer, they have the right to set some conditions regarding the fees they advance for you.

Like some companies offer relocation packages, visa fees... but they can, if they want to, make you sign a contract that you would have to refund these fees if you are to leave before date X.

You are also free not to sign and decline the job then find another sponsor.

It's up to you to see if this is reasonable for you or not. If your idea is to leave that employer within 6 months, there is no point signing.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:54 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:51 am
It's up to you to see if this is reasonable for you or not. If your idea is to leave that employer within 6 months, there is no point signing.
And that is the crux of why some employers do this for Tier 2 migrants. To minimise their investment in sponsoring someone who only uses them to enter the UK on a tier 2 and immediately starts looking for a better job and another sponsor, as we see many times on the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SKJ1984
India

Post by SKJ1984 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Answer for your question : This is not a standard. It depends on the employer. Some big employers do not deter potential candidates by adding such clause. Others safeguard.

Thankfully your employer has sponsored your visa fee. Few employers like NHS do not even sponsor and the applicant must pay for visa and IHS.

As CR said this is to safeguard sponsors from being misused to gain entry in T2.

Only thing i could suggest is ask them to give exact amount that has to be paid in each of the periods instead of an ambiguous 2/3 or 1/3. You might not know what all do they mean by Visa fee. (There are some fees to be paid by employer to get CoS. Does it include IHS?