ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - timelines

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

prat05
Newly Registered

Naturalisation - timelines

Post by prat05 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi friends, I got my ILR on 4th June 08. I have a few queries on naturalisation/citizenship:

1. I would like to know if I can apply for naturalisation on 4th June 09 or a month before (i.e., 4th May 09).

2. How much time does it take these days to apply for naturalisation and passport (assuming that my application get rejected).

I have seen a thread here (http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=5575) in which a few people have shared the relevant dates like NCS appointment, application dates etc. But those were the timelines of 2005. If someone has recently applied for and recieved the British Citizenship/passport, please could you share the the dates in the same format as the other thread:

NCS or Postal
If NCS, which centre
Date of submission or posting
CRITERIA - 5 yr stay (4 + 1 yr ILR)
Date of debit of debit/credit card
Date of receipt of acknowledgement
Date of receipt of approval
Date of Ceremony
Date of appln. for passport
Method used
Date of Receipt

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:44 pm

I think it is best to see what happens at the begnning of the year as there are many proposed changes.
This can also effect processing time.
Currently they are at about 6 to 7 months to 9 months.
From my point of view, I'd want to apply even earlier than a month but frankly you need to see where they are closer to the time you can apply. Not that you can apply earlier than a month anyway.

whirly

Re: Naturalisation - timelines

Post by whirly » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:24 pm

prat05 wrote: I have seen a thread here (http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=5575) in which a few people have shared the relevant dates like NCS appointment, application dates etc. But those were the timelines of 2005. If someone has recently applied for and recieved the British Citizenship/passport, please could you share the the dates in the same format as the other thread
If you skip to the last page of that thread, you will see that it is current (July 2008). Please continue to post in that thread. Many of us are reading it and sharing info in the hopes that we can track the application process.

Thank you...!

FWIW, as republique said, it is taking ages for applications to be approved right now.

prat05
Newly Registered

Post by prat05 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Ah I see, I didn't see the last page as most forums have the most recent post on the first page and the oldest message on the last page. If the forum owner/moderators see this message, they might want to take this as a suggestion, so that people like me don't get confused. Anyways, I will now keep an eye on that thread. Many thanks.

aboudi

Post by aboudi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:26 pm

According to the BIA website the new changes should not take effect untill LATE 2009....

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

prat05
Newly Registered

Post by prat05 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:09 pm

prat05 wrote:Ah I see, I didn't see the last page as most forums have the most recent post on the first page and the oldest message on the last page. If the forum owner/moderators see this message, they might want to take this as a suggestion, so that people like me don't get confused. Anyways, I will now keep an eye on that thread. Many thanks.
Before anyone twists my arm, let me confirm that I have now noticed the checkbox that allows you to see the messages in the order you wish to view them in i.e., oldest first or newest first :-)

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:26 pm

prat05 wrote:Hi friends, I got my ILR on 4th June 08. I have a few queries on naturalisation/citizenship:

1. I would like to know if I can apply for naturalisation on 4th June 09 or a month before (i.e., 4th May 09).
No, not a month before. Unless you are married to a British citizen, you need to have held ILR for a year before you can apply. When you do apply, it's a good idea to use the Nationality Checking Service (NCS), which is run by local councils, since they will pick up any routine problems with the application (such as dates not aligning) and they will also copy your original documents (including your passport) while you wait and give them back to you.

The government's proposed changes to the naturalisation system are unlikely to take effect until late 2009, so I'd suggest that you do apply next June if you are eligible then.

prat05 wrote:2. How much time does it take these days to apply for naturalisation and passport (assuming that my application get rejected).
And, btw, in your second question, presumably you mean "assuming that my application gets accepted"? :)

As to applying for a British passport, you can only do that once you are a citizen, of course, and you are only a citizen once you have attended a citizenship ceremony. The website of the Identity and Passport Service is currently suggesting that first-time applicants (which you would be) should allow six weeks. However, obviously you would need to check that at the time.

prat05
Newly Registered

Post by prat05 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Christophe wrote:And, btw, in your second question, presumably you mean "assuming that my application gets accepted"? :)

As to applying for a British passport, you can only do that once you are a citizen, of course, and you are only a citizen once you have attended a citizenship ceremony. The website of the Identity and Passport Service is currently suggesting that first-time applicants (which you would be) should allow six weeks. However, obviously you would need to check that at the time.
Thanks Chris, I did mean that "assuming it gets accepted (and not rejected)" ... you read my mind ... thanks ... :)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:01 pm

prat05 wrote:I would like to know if I can apply for naturalisation on 4th June 09 or a month before (i.e., 4th May 09
As already pointed out you need to have held ILR for at least one year when you apply.

But also, it is impossible to answer your answer for certain, given that you do not tell us some very relevant information. That is, when you apply, it is essential that you were physically in the UK exactly 5 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application.

In other words, did you have any time out of the UK in May 2004? If so, choose your application date with care.
John

prat05
Newly Registered

Post by prat05 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:05 pm

No, I was in the UK in May 2004 (infact the whole of 2004). So, I should be fine with the application date in June 09.

Many thanks for your and Chris's inputs.

TinTinTin

Post by TinTinTin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:26 pm

John,
I recently applied for Naturalisation via NCS. The staff there said,
a) That I've to be physically present in UK exactly 5 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application. -- This is a known fact.
They also added 1 more point.
b) I should inside UK, when UKBA receive the application. -- Is this true ?

whirly

Post by whirly » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:16 pm

TinTinTin wrote: b) I should inside UK, when UKBA receive the application. -- Is this true ?
TinTinTin,

I can't remember where I read it, but I think it is true. I recall being asked the same thing in May when I applied via NCS. The woman wanted to ensure that I was not planning to leave the UK within the following 5 days or so, when the HO would receive my application.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:51 pm

TinTinTin wrote:John,
I recently applied for Naturalisation via NCS. The staff there said,
a) That I've to be physically present in UK exactly 5 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application. -- This is a known fact.
They also added 1 more point.
b) I should inside UK, when UKBA receive the application. -- Is this true ?
b) It's mostly to do that you should be in the UK for the next 5 days after the HO receives the application in case they have questions for you and you're not there to answer. NCS makes an important point of this.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am

whirly wrote:
TinTinTin wrote: b) I should inside UK, when UKBA receive the application. -- Is this true ?
TinTinTin,

I can't remember where I read it, but I think it is true. I recall being asked the same thing in May when I applied via NCS. The woman wanted to ensure that I was not planning to leave the UK within the following 5 days or so, when the HO would receive my application.
So in fact, you don't have to be in the UK when the application is received?

TinTinTin

Post by TinTinTin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:05 am

republique wrote:
whirly wrote:
TinTinTin,

republique,
You have to be in UK (atleast 5 days) post your handover of the application thru NCS. As I've mentioned, this is from my personal experience the NCS staff specifically asked 'whether I'm planning to go out of UK in the next 5 days'.
Actually, i had a pre-booked holiday for a week, so NCS did delay my application sending to BIA(they were holding with them !).. value for the £ i spent !

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:17 am

TinTinTin wrote:
republique wrote:
whirly wrote:
TinTinTin,

republique,
You have to be in UK (atleast 5 days) post your handover of the application thru NCS. As I've mentioned, this is from my personal experience the NCS staff specifically asked 'whether I'm planning to go out of UK in the next 5 days'.
Actually, i had a pre-booked holiday for a week, so NCS did delay my application sending to BIA(they were holding with them !).. value for the £ i spent !
where does it say that in the rules or guidance, please?

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:32 am

There is no mention of it in the guidance notes, but if you apply through NCS, they do make sure that you are contactable for the next 5 days or so after your application is submitted. I'd a similar experience as well.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:33 am

dnicky wrote:
There is no mention of it in the guidance notes, but if you apply through NCS, they do make sure that you are contactable for the next 5 days or so after your application is submitted. I'd a similar experience as well.
ok but the point is that it is not a requirement in terms of having a valid application
it is not like you must be physically present in the UK like the 5 year requirement to the day.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:39 am

It is not a requirement, but I guess it is in the best interest of the applicant that he makes himself accessible for a certain period of time after the application is submitted, just in case UKBA needs to contact the applicant.
Having said that given the current processing timelines, it is unlikely that UKBA will even look at the application within the first 5 days of applying.

whirly

Post by whirly » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:32 pm

republique wrote:ok but the point is that it is not a requirement in terms of having a valid application
it is not like you must be physically present in the UK like the 5 year requirement to the day.
dnicky wrote:It is not a requirement, but I guess it is in the best interest of the applicant that he makes himself accessible for a certain period of time after the application is submitted, just in case UKBA needs to contact the applicant.
Having said that given the current processing timelines, it is unlikely that UKBA will even look at the application within the first 5 days of applying.
Just a thought...

As has been noted, it is not a requirement. The UKBA does not seem to be in a rush to process applications these days (although I think timelines are getting shorter).

However, they are quite prompt about taking payments! If there is a question about your payment, I'd assume they would try to contact you... so best to be reachable in those first few days.

Make any sense???

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:52 pm

whirly wrote:
republique wrote:ok but the point is that it is not a requirement in terms of having a valid application
dnicky wrote:It is not a requirement, but I guess it is in the best interest of the applicant that he makes himself accessible for a certain period of time after the application is submitted, just in case UKBA needs to contact the applicant.
Just a thought...

As has been noted, it is not a requirement. The UKBA does not seem to be in a rush to process applications these days (although I think timelines are getting shorter).

However, they are quite prompt about taking payments! If there is a question about your payment, I'd assume they would try to contact you... so best to be reachable in those first few days.

Make any sense???
Do you get the recorded delivery number from NCS so you can track and determine your application is received?

whirly

Post by whirly » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:18 am

republique wrote:Do you get the recorded delivery number from NCS so you can track and determine your application is received?
I didn't get mine; just a receipt from NCS showing that I had submitted my application and NCS fee. The HO sent an acknowledgment of receipt for the application and payment a few days later by post.

As long as you don't anticipate payment problems, it probably doesn't matter if you are physically in the country when the HO receives your application from the NCS...but it's strictly your call. My guess is that the NCS would advise you not to travel abroad. I don't know what the HO would say.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:28 am

IF the HO has followup questions, further communications or if they approve your citizenship, do they send the letter/communication by recorded or special delivery or just ordinary mail?
This is for applications done via NCS so one's valuable passport is not involved.

whirly

Post by whirly » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 am

republique wrote:IF the HO has followup questions, further communications or if they approve your citizenship, do they send the letter/communication by recorded or special delivery or just ordinary mail?
This is for applications done via NCS so one's valuable passport is not involved.
Just normal mail in my case. My acceptance/invitation letter was in a normal envelope, sent normal mail. I would be surprised if they used special delivery for anything you hadn't already pre-paid for.