ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sam229
Newly Registered
Ghana

Naturalization

Post by Sam229 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:54 pm

so guys, I was refused my naturalization application in 2019 due to a ten year immigration ban which I didn't know about until I received the refusal letter. Prior to that, I have been on a Spouse visa for 2 and a half years and on ILR for nearly 8 yrs. So why did the issue of the ban not come into play when my previous two applications were granted, but it was used as grounds to refuse my naturalization application? And secondly, why won't the granting of the ILR not nullify the post facto usage of the ban on any subsequent applications made i.e the naturalization application?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalization

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:02 pm

Why were you banned?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Sam229
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Sam229 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:12 pm

I over stayed my previous visa

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:18 pm

Overstaying your visa is seen as indication of you not being of good character. You applied for naturalisation more than 10 years after you regularised your immigration position (I assume) which is the period after which having overstayed stops casting doubt on your good character. This doesn't apply to ILR, and the grant of ILR confirms you did everything correctly to get ILR but citizenship is a completely different application under nationality law, not immigration law, so there are different requirements.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:42 pm

Sam229 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:54 pm
So why did the issue of the ban not come into play when my previous two applications were granted, but it was used as grounds to refuse my naturalization application? And secondly, why won't the granting of the ILR not nullify the post facto usage of the ban on any subsequent applications made i.e the naturalization application?
Different laws, different rules, different requirements.

ILR is the final step in the immigration process. The laws, rules and requirements for those are different to those for naturalisation, which is a part of the nationality process.

Because you have been approved for the former does not mean that you would automatically be approved for the latter.

The latter (naturalisation) has a good character requirement that immigration applications don't have. And overstaying a visa can be interpreted as having violated that, especially if combined with other immigration offences such as working in the UK while without a visa.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:02 pm

Sam229 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:54 pm
so guys, I was refused my naturalization application in 2019 due to a ten year immigration ban which I didn't know about until I received the refusal letter. Prior to that, I have been on a Spouse visa for 2 and a half years and on ILR for nearly 8 yrs. So why did the issue of the ban not come into play when my previous two applications were granted, but it was used as grounds to refuse my naturalization application? And secondly, why won't the granting of the ILR not nullify the post facto usage of the ban on any subsequent applications made i.e the naturalization application?
Sorry I misread this initial post. You can apply again once it's been 10 years from when you regularised your position with the HO, as I was saying in my earlier post. When did you overstay, and when were you granted a visa again?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.