ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do we have the possibility of switching?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Vickipash
Newly Registered
Albania

Do we have the possibility of switching?

Post by Vickipash » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:23 pm

Hello all

My husbands visa is up for renewal, and I’d like to understand if there is any possibility of switching.

He is currently on a 10 year route (he is Albanian). We’ve had lots of people say in passing we should be able to switch to a 5 year route. Obviously if we can, we’d love to do so purely due to the rising costs! Every 2.5 years is costly.

He was granted a period of 30 months limited leave to remain on the 10 year partner route under paragraph D-LTRP .1.2 of appendix FM. Basically they said he didn’t meet the requirements because he was is breach of immigration laws (here without a visa) but because I was pregnant, they allowed him. This is the second time renewing now, so 5 odd years done.

Any help and advice appreciated. Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Do we have the possibility of switching?

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:17 pm

Due to your husband's previous period of leave when he was without legal residence in the UK, and the concession given to grant the 10 year FLR(FP) visa, he will need to complete a further 5 years before qualifying for ILR.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Re: Do we have the possibility of switching?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:06 pm

Vickipash wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:23 pm
This is the second time renewing now, so 5 odd years done.
Even if you switch to the FLR(M)/spousal route, you will not benefit in any way.

Your husband will need to spend five years on the FLR(M)/spousal route in order to qualify for ILR. That clock will therefore start from zero when he switches to FLR(M). His earlier time in the UK on a different visa will not count towards the five years anyway.

So, whether he stays on his existing visa or moves to a spousal visa, he will need to wait for a further five years anyway.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.