ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Citizenship- Do I need to Keep Resident Permit Active?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bensaddress
Newly Registered
Australia

Applying for Citizenship- Do I need to Keep Resident Permit Active?

Post by bensaddress » Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm

Hey there,

Does anyone know what the process is once I submit my application for citizenship (in Ireland) and my residence permit expires. Do I need to keep it active by also applying for a residence permit renewal while I wait the12-18 months for my citizenship to come through?

Couldn't find this information anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ben

meself2
Ireland

Re: Applying for Citizenship- Do I need to Keep Resident Permit Active?

Post by meself2 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:31 pm

bensaddress wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm
Do I need to keep it active by also applying for a residence permit renewal while I wait the12-18 months for my citizenship to come through?
Yes. You must keep your legal stay throughout the time your application is processed (assuming you want to be naturalized).

The fact that you applied for citizenship does not give you any rights to stay in Ireland/etc. It's actually vice versa - once your IRP is expired, your citizenship case might be closed if you don't submit a new IRP.

All that aside, another confirmation for this is a line from a ceremony invitation email, that you get after your citizenship application is approved (circa 2+ years):
If you are a holder of an Irish Residence Permit you will need to produce your IRP card on the day of the ceremony to provide evidence of your in-date permission. Failure to have a permission valid on the date of the ceremony will result in you being refused entry to the ceremony.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

bensaddress
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Applying for Citizenship- Do I need to Keep Resident Permit Active?

Post by bensaddress » Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pm

Thanks for your help mate.