ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Would my children (under 16yrs) who have US Green Card but live in UK be able to get US passport when I get US passport?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OMONAIJA
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Would my children (under 16yrs) who have US Green Card but live in UK be able to get US passport when I get US passport?

Post by OMONAIJA » Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:36 am

Hello Everyone,

Please, I need your advice. Would my children (under 16yrs age) who have US Green Card but live in UK be able to get US passports when I get US passport?

My three children who have US green cards live with their mother in UK while I work in the US with Green card. We have have held the green card for five years now and I am planning to apply for naturalisation very soon.

Since having the Green Card, the children have always come to US every July in order to maintain/revalidate it with 12 month rule.

So, as I am qualified to apply for US naturalisation, are the children also qualified even though they had never stayed/lived in US for more than three weeks per year during the last five years of holding the green card.

QUESTIONS
(1) Will they be able to get naturalisation with me or they also need to live in US for minimum of 2.5yrs in order to be naturalised as US citizen?

(2) Any help on the web link to processing the naturalisations/passport process or information for submitting application (as a Green Card Holder) would be appreciated.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Would my children (under 16yrs) who have US Green Card but live in UK be able to get US passport when I get US passp

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:24 am

You might need to become a US citizen first.
In limited circumstances, a child living overseas may be able to pursue naturalization by filing an N-600K. Examples include when the child has a biological grandparent who is a U.S. citizen or the child was legally adopted by their U.S. citizen stepparent.
Children of U.S. Citizens Residing Outside the United States
Children residing outside of the United States may obtain citizenship under Section 322 of the INA. A child who regularly resides outside of the United States is eligible for naturalization if all of the following conditions have been met:

The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent, who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;
The child’s U.S. citizen parent or U.S. citizen grandparent meets certain physical presence requirements in the United States or an outlying possession;
The child is under 18 years of age;
The child is residing outside of the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent, or of a person who does not object to the application if the U.S. citizen parent is deceased; and
The child is lawfully admitted, physically present, and maintaining a lawful status in the United States at the time the application is approved and the time of naturalization.
Note: Children of U.S. citizen military members residing outside the United States may complete the entire process from abroad. For more information, see our Military Citizenship for Family Members page.

For more information, see the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 12, Part H, Children of U.S. Citizens.

To apply for citizenship under INA 322, see our Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322 and read the instructions carefully to ensure that you qualify.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

OMONAIJA
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Would my children (under 16yrs) who have US Green Card but live in UK be able to get US passport when I get US passp

Post by OMONAIJA » Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:31 am

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:24 am
You might need to become a US citizen first.
In limited circumstances, a child living overseas may be able to pursue naturalization by filing an N-600K. Examples include when the child has a biological grandparent who is a U.S. citizen or the child was legally adopted by their U.S. citizen stepparent.
Children of U.S. Citizens Residing Outside the United States
Children residing outside of the United States may obtain citizenship under Section 322 of the INA. A child who regularly resides outside of the United States is eligible for naturalization if all of the following conditions have been met:

The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent, who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;
The child’s U.S. citizen parent or U.S. citizen grandparent meets certain physical presence requirements in the United States or an outlying possession;
The child is under 18 years of age;
The child is residing outside of the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent, or of a person who does not object to the application if the U.S. citizen parent is deceased; and
The child is lawfully admitted, physically present, and maintaining a lawful status in the United States at the time the application is approved and the time of naturalization.
Note: Children of U.S. citizen military members residing outside the United States may complete the entire process from abroad. For more information, see our Military Citizenship for Family Members page.

For more information, see the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 12, Part H, Children of U.S. Citizens.

To apply for citizenship under INA 322, see our Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322 and read the instructions carefully to ensure that you qualify.
Thank you very much for the helpful reply and the useful suggestions.