ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student visa: Getting funding from a sibling

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sumera_asghar
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Student visa: Getting funding from a sibling

Post by sumera_asghar » Thu May 16, 2024 1:00 pm

Hi guys,

I've never applied for a UK student visa before and I'm freaking out. Does anyone know what kind of financial evidence I should provide in my situation?

As I'm not in active employment, I can't personally fund my study, but my brother who has a job is helping me out. He has deposited the required tuition fee and maintenance amount in my account well in advance of the application. When making the application, I'll add my bank statement, but do I need to include other evidence as well, for example how the amount is present in my account? Should I include my brother's bank statement or certificate of deposit? Or a letter from him stating that he's gifting me the required amount?

Anyone who was ever in this situation and succeeded in getting a visa, please offer some advice. I would be very grateful. Thank you :)

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Student visa: Getting funding from a sibling

Post by AmazonianX » Thu May 16, 2024 10:23 pm

sumera_asghar wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:00 pm
Hi guys,

I've never applied for a UK student visa before and I'm freaking out. Does anyone know what kind of financial evidence I should provide in my situation?

As I'm not in active employment, I can't personally fund my study, but my brother who has a job is helping me out. He has deposited the required tuition fee and maintenance amount in my account well in advance of the application. When making the application, I'll add my bank statement, but do I need to include other evidence as well, for example how the amount is present in my account? Should I include my brother's bank statement or certificate of deposit? Or a letter from him stating that he's gifting me the required amount?

Anyone who was ever in this situation and succeeded in getting a visa, please offer some advice. I would be very grateful. Thank you :)
You will not be asked for such indepth details.
Relevant is for funds to be in your account for the required pre application period and an amount coverimg at a minimum of tuition and maintenance.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:33 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:23 pm
Relevant is for funds to be in your account for the required pre application period and an amount coverimg at a minimum of tuition and maintenance.
This is not correct. Students can be asked for more detail about their financial circumstances, including about the provenance of money being used in evidence of meeting the maintenance requirement.

There is no longer a specific immigration rule in Appendix Student or Appendix Finance that requires the money to be genuinely available to the student to pay their fees and living costs, but entry clearance officers and caseworkers look at the provenance of money in the context of genuineness and credibility as per paragraph ST 5.1 instead:

ST 5.1. The applicant must be a genuine student.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ix-student

The caseworker guidance (pages 15-16) explains that testing credibility includes going beyond just checking that they have the right amount of money held for the required 28 days.

There is no need for an applicant to front-load this into the application, unless they are particularly concerned about it or there has been a previous refusal under ST 5.1 related to financial credibility.

The personal and financial circumstances of the applicant and any dependant

Examples include:

• the economic circumstances of the applicant and any dependant
whether the applicant has a credible source of funds to meet course fees, and living costs – both for themselves and any dependants – for the duration of the course in the UK, in cases where they would have a limited, or no, ability to work in the UK
how the applicant was able to acquire the necessary funds for course fees, as well as accommodation and living expenses in the UK for themselves and any dependant
• the distance between the applicant’s place of study and their proposed accommodation in the UK
• the average monthly expenditure for the applicant and any dependant in the UK
• the applicant’s personal circumstances, where these might make it difficult to complete a course of study

The caseworker must take account of the fact that the applicant will need to make a
considerable investment to gain a qualification from the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dent-route
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

sumera_asghar
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by sumera_asghar » Sat May 25, 2024 12:44 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 5:33 am
AmazonianX wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:23 pm
This is not correct. Students can be asked for more detail about their financial circumstances, including about the provenance of money being used in evidence of meeting the maintenance requirement.

There is no longer a specific immigration rule in Appendix Student or Appendix Finance that requires the money to be genuinely available to the student to pay their fees and living costs, but entry clearance officers and caseworkers look at the provenance of money in the context of genuineness and credibility as per paragraph ST 5.1 instead:

ST 5.1. The applicant must be a genuine student.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ix-student

The caseworker guidance (pages 15-16) explains that testing credibility includes going beyond just checking that they have the right amount of money held for the required 28 days.

There is no need for an applicant to front-load this into the application, unless they are particularly concerned about it or there has been a previous refusal under ST 5.1 related to financial credibility.

The personal and financial circumstances of the applicant and any dependant

Examples include:

• the economic circumstances of the applicant and any dependant
whether the applicant has a credible source of funds to meet course fees, and living costs – both for themselves and any dependants – for the duration of the course in the UK, in cases where they would have a limited, or no, ability to work in the UK
how the applicant was able to acquire the necessary funds for course fees, as well as accommodation and living expenses in the UK for themselves and any dependant
• the distance between the applicant’s place of study and their proposed accommodation in the UK
• the average monthly expenditure for the applicant and any dependant in the UK
• the applicant’s personal circumstances, where these might make it difficult to complete a course of study

The caseworker must take account of the fact that the applicant will need to make a
considerable investment to gain a qualification from the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dent-route
Thank you! This is helpful to know in advance in case they ask for more documents. I have previously been denied a visit visa for financial evidence reasons, it may also make them want to do thorough checks. I'll keep it in mind.

sumera_asghar
Newly Registered
Pakistan

A UK Bank Account: while living overseas and before getting a student visa?

Post by sumera_asghar » Sat May 25, 2024 12:48 pm

I intend to apply for a UK student visa and want to open a bank account in the UK before applying. Has anyone else done this successfully from Pakistan?

Are there specific banks that allow Pakistani residents to open an account with them in the UK?

I'll be grateful for any advice on this from anyone who has done this before!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat May 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Topics merged - keep your questions in one topic, please.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: A UK Bank Account: while living overseas and before getting a student visa?

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 28, 2024 5:44 am

sumera_asghar wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 12:48 pm
I [...] want to open a bank account in the UK before applying.
Why?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

sumera_asghar
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by sumera_asghar » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:05 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 5:44 am
sumera_asghar wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 12:48 pm
I [...] want to open a bank account in the UK before applying.
Why?
My sibling who is financing me lives overseas and doesn't want to transfer funds to my Pakistani account as it will incur extra charges. I'm trying to open a bank account in the UK to avoid that.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:23 am

sumera_asghar wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:05 pm
I'm trying to open a bank account in the UK to avoid that.
I don't think it's possible, but it's not a visa matter so not one for this forum.