ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Assistance with Naturalisation - UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

JP121212212
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Assistance with Naturalisation - UK

Post by JP121212212 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:26 pm

Dear Users,

I have a few queries which I am hoping you will be able to help me with.

I was granted ILR in December 2022 and the card expires in December 2024.

1. my current passport expires on 30 June 2024. Initially I intended to apply for the naturalisation on 23 June 2024. Can I apply for the naturalisation or do i have to first get my passport renewed for the application?

2. I have read the guidance on the GOV.UK and there is something that is confusing me regarding the absence periods. below is pasted from the table in the guidance.

Absences from the UK during your residential qualifying period will be considered in the
following way:

6(1) application
5-year qualifying period
6(2) application

Normal permitted
absences in qualifying
period = 450 days

Total number of absences
normally disregarded. = 480 days

Please advise what does the highlighted bit mean?

kind regards.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Assistance with Naturalisation - UK

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:52 pm

JP121212212 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:26 pm
Dear Users,

I have a few queries which I am hoping you will be able to help me with.

I was granted ILR in December 2022 and the card expires in December 2024.

1. my current passport expires on 30 June 2024. Initially I intended to apply for the naturalisation on 23 June 2024. Can I apply for the naturalisation or do i have to first get my passport renewed for the application?
No issue if a valid passport expires after the application date, just apply when you planned to.
2. I have read the guidance on the GOV.UK and there is something that is confusing me regarding the absence periods. below is pasted from the table in the guidance.

Absences from the UK during your residential qualifying period will be considered in the
following way:

6(1) application
5-year qualifying period
6(2) application

Normal permitted
absences in qualifying
period = 450 days

Total number of absences
normally disregarded. = 480 days

Please advise what does the highlighted bit mean?
As the guidance states, the normal permitted total is 450 days, if your total is up to 480 days that is "normally disregarded", as long as there are no other issues in your application. You could add a brief explanation as to why your total is higher. Alternatively you could wait a month or so until you are down to 450 days.
kind regards.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JP121212212
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JP121212212 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:21 pm

Thank you for your response. I have another query regarding the application.

There are a couple of questions in the Residence Requirements Section:

Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the requirements to become a British citizen (for example, you have had too many absences from the UK)?

to which I have responded Yes, and then provided details as the reason for my absences (in detail as Medical Reasons.)

however, the second question is

If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application?

What should I select? Yes or No?

If i select then what explanation is required of me, considering I have already explained in detail regarding the absences?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:32 pm

On the face of it I would select "Yes" and refer to the answer you have given above.
I believe this is for applicants who have more than one issue where their application would fail. Should not affect your application as the excess absences are "normally disregarded".
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:36 pm

JP121212212 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:21 pm
If i select then what explanation is required of me, considering I have already explained in detail regarding the absences?
How many absences in total do you have in the qualifying period? more than 450/480 days?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:49 pm

JP121212212 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:21 pm
Thank you for your response. I have another query regarding the application.

There are a couple of questions in the Residence Requirements Section:

Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the requirements to become a British citizen (for example, you have had too many absences from the UK)?

to which I have responded Yes, and then provided details as the reason for my absences (in detail as Medical Reasons.)

however, the second question is

If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application?

What should I select? Yes or No?

What is the exact number of your absences? The reason doesn't matter at this stage - if less than 480 you can just say that according to the guidance up to that number is normally disregarded. If more than that, you may need to attach further documents. In any case, you have to make sure that your absences in the last 12 months are below 90 days.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

JP121212212
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JP121212212 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:39 pm

Thank you all for your replies. unfortunately i looked at the later replies after i had submitted the application.

the total number of days are 460. I have added extensive notes as answer to both the questions without referencing it to their guidance. hopefully the explanation will be sufficient.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:43 am

Most likely it will be, though you can mention it in the cover note to be extra sure if you want.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.