ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for british Citzenship?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

GeoUK

Can I apply for british Citzenship?

Post by GeoUK » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi Guys,
I am a Italian citizen and I have been living in the UK since 2002. Just now, I have applied for my residence card.
Can I still apply for British Citizenship?

Cheers

Obie
Ireland

Re: Can I apply for british Citzenship?

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:40 pm

GeoUK wrote:Hi Guys,
I am a Italian citizen and I have been living in the UK since 2002. Just now, I have applied for my residence card.

Cheers
You should have applied for Permanent resident Certificate as opposed to card, which you qualified for since 2007 as a result of having been living and exercising treaty rights in the UK for 5 years. After having been a permanent resident for a year, you qualify for naturalization.

As applying for Permanent Resident Certificate is not compulsory, i would think you qualify to apply for British citizenship at present.

You will need to provide evidence you have been living in the UK for the past 7 years as stated, and have been exercising treaty rights.

I also hope you have resolved the issues about the COA for your wife with the HO.

I wish you all the best
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

GeoUK

Re: Can I apply for british Citzenship?

Post by GeoUK » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:19 pm

Obie wrote:
GeoUK wrote:Hi Guys,

Cheers
You should have applied for Permanent resident Certificate as opposed to card, which you qualified for since 2007 as a result of having been living and exercising treaty rights in the UK for 5 years. After having been a permanent resident for a year, you qualify for naturalization.

As applying for Permanent Resident Certificate is not compulsory, i would think you qualify to apply for British citizenship at present.

You will need to provide evidence you have been living in the UK for the past 7 years as stated, and have been exercising treaty rights.

I also hope you have resolved the issues about the COA for your wife with the HO.

I wish you all the best
Hi Obie,
Thanks for your help again.
What I have applied for, is actually the Registration Certificate, using the EEA1 form.
I'm still trying to sort out my wife's COA. I got in touch with the HO, but didn't have any reply yet. I have also contacted my local MP, but they will need a HO reference number to help us. The COA my wife received, does not have any reference number.

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Geo UK,

You have passed the EEA 1 stage. It is for new comers who have just started exercising their EU treaty rights and are applying for it to be confirmed.

You have been living in the UK for 7 years, you don't need to fill that one, you need to fill the EEA 3 form for people who have lived and exercising treaty rights in the UK for five years and above.

I found it quite queer that they did not provide a reference number for your wife's application.

Provide the letter they sent you to your MP. It will be enough.

You can also scan the letter you have and make a complain to the contacts i gave you earlier

Once again i wish you all the best

GeoUK

Post by GeoUK » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Obie,
I didn't know about EEA3 form. I Should have done more research about it before. Do you think I can still apply using EEA3 form? I can prove that i have been here for the past 7 years, i still have all my P45s and P60s.

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:27 pm

GeoUK wrote:Obie,
I didn't know about EEA3 form. I Should have done more research about it before. Do you think I can still apply using EEA3 form? I can prove that i have been here for the past 7 years, i still have all my P45s and P60s.

Thanks
Fabulous Geo UK,

You need not worry about it so long as you have those document to prove your existence in the UK over that period. You can apply using the EEA 3 form for a Permanent Resident Certificate as opposed to the Registeration Certificate which you have applied for.

You can also buy books and prepare for your life in the UK test.
Once you have passed that, you can start applying for you British Naturalisation Certificate.

Below is the link to the EEA 3 form.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... a/eea3.pdf

Geo UK also find attached the Citizenship application Guide and Form.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... alisation/

You can certainly apply now, once you have passed the life in the UK test.
You qualified since 2007.

I wish you all the best .

GeoUK

Post by GeoUK » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks again Obie,

So this means that I don't actually meed to apply for EEA3 before I apply for my British Naturalization? I've been reading the page you sent me and I couldn't find anything saying that it's mandatory to apply for Permanent Residency before.
Thanks

Geo

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:13 pm

GeoUK wrote:Thanks again Obie,

So this means that I don't actually meed to apply for EEA3 before I apply for my British Naturalization? I've been reading the page you sent me and I couldn't find anything saying that it's mandatory to apply for Permanent Residency before.
Thanks

Geo
That is exactly my point Geo UK, as i stated earlier. The evidence you already have will suffice. But rather than carrying those evidence around, you just having a Permanent Resident Certificate will be a better proof with less hassle.

You don't need the EEA 3, but you can still apply for it, as it is more powerful than EEA1. When you are confirmed for EEA 3, you don't need to provide evidence of exercising treaty rights when you apply for your wife's resident card and you can claim state benefit, and it would be extremely hard for you to ever face deportation from the UK.

If you work on the life in the UK test and pass it, you can file in your citizenship application immediately.

Good luck my dear friend, and i wish you all the best with yours and your wife's application.

Please not that once you wife has been leaving with you for 5 Years in the UK, she will automatically qualify for Permanent Resident, regardless of when she applied for resident card.

GeoUK

Post by GeoUK » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Obie wrote:
GeoUK wrote:Thanks again Obie,

Thanks

Geo
That is exactly my point Geo UK, as i stated earlier. The evidence you already have will suffice. But rather than carrying those evidence around, you just having a Permanent Resident Certificate will be a better proof with less hassle.

You don't need the EEA 3, but you can still apply for it, as it is more powerful than EEA1. When you are confirmed for EEA 3, you don't need to provide evidence of exercising treaty rights when you apply for your wife's resident card and you can claim state benefit, and it would be extremely hard for you to ever face deportation from the UK.

If you work on the life in the UK test and pass it, you can file in your citizenship application immediately.

Good luck my dear friend, and i wish you all the best with yours and your wife's application.

Please not that once you wife has been leaving with you for 5 Years in the UK, she will automatically qualify for Permanent Resident, regardless of when she applied for resident card.
Thanks very very much for all your help Obie,
I really appreciate it.
All the best to you.

Geo

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:42 pm

You are welcome Geo UK. Anytime Geo UK.