ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

GeoUK

British passport application

Post by GeoUK » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Guys,
I am an Italian citizen and I recently have been naturalised british.
I'm applying for a british passport and on the form, it asks to provide my current passport.
As an Italian citizen and I do not hold a passport, I only have my national ID card. Would that be any problem? Can I send my ID card instead of a passport?

GeoUK

Anyone help please

Post by GeoUK » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 am

Anyone???

wunder
Member of Standing

Re: British passport application

Post by wunder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 am

GeoUK wrote:As an Italian citizen and I do not hold a passport, I only have my national ID card. Would that be any problem? Can I send my ID card instead of a passport?
If there is no passports in Italy (that is - nobody has a passport) then I wouldn't worry!

JulesN19

Re: British passport application

Post by JulesN19 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:20 pm

wunder wrote: If there is no passports in Italy (that is - nobody has a passport) then I wouldn't worry!
Italian passports definitely exist. GeoUK simply does not need one because an EEA national ID card can be used in lieu of a passport for EEA nationals who travel only to EEA countries.

I would imagine that the national ID card on which you have travelled to the UK could be submitted in lieu of a passport. You may want to contact the Indentity and Passport Service to confirm this. You may also want to submit your passport application with the Post Office's Check and Send service so that your application and supporting documents are reviewed before being sent to the IPS.
Last edited by JulesN19 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

andreachen

Post by andreachen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 pm

I would use whatever you used to apply for citizenship. :)

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 am

I agree with JulesN19 and andreachen. Checking with the Identity and Passport Service and having your application checked and sent off by a participating post office are both good ideas.

Remember, too, that many people applying for their first British passport will have a passport to send in. Most won't, in fact, because they will be British citizens born in the UK who simply have never had a passport before. But even those who have naturalised or registered as British citizens may not have another passport: they might have been born in the UK but not acquired British citizenship at birth for some reason, or they might have come to the UK somehow as asylum seekers and not had a valid travel document.