ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Requirements - Uncertain Situation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Naturalisation Requirements - Uncertain Situation

Post by hsmpengineer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Please advice if you can.

I got my ILR on the 6th of March based on 2 yrs HSMP + 3 yrs Tier 1 Gen.

I am getting married on the 8th of September to a British Citizen.

Will I be able to apply for naturalisation anytime after the 8th of September?

Thanks guys

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Based on what you have said you will be eligible to apply from the date of your marriage assuming you meet the other requirements around absences from the UK, good character etc

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:00 pm

that was my thinking as well. its only slightly complicated because i got ILR via economic route and going for citizenship in this manner is via family route (marriage).

I dont mind waiting until next march to get the naturalisation done, if i have to. As long as i dont throw away my money by giving them a chance to refuse me in september.

I've been in this country for over 8 yrs and never have breached the law. als my total number of days absence is a grand total of 49 days in the last 8 years! lol

I clearly love the country too much!! haha

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Ultimately the decision is with the UKBA but have never heard of any requirement for you to use the same "route" when going from residency to citizenship.

Have known a few who even switched an EU spouse for a BC one whilst in the UK (all done properly & legitimately with UKBA fully aware) and obtained BC no problems despite a different "family"

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm

ILR is ILR. For naturalisation, it doesn't matter how it was obtained.

You can apply from the day of your marriage although I suspect you would have better things to do on that day.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks guys! :)

Final question, if it was you in my position would you wait until next year or go in september?

Reason i ask is i have gone jumped through all the hoops all of us legal economic immigrants have ON MY OWN. It feels abit like I should wait until next year so i know i achieved it 100% on my own. lol

Nah i'll go for it in september, i'll probably be filling out the form on my wedding night hahaha

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:15 am

I would hope you have something better to do on the wedding night!

We were in a similar boat in that both eligible under own rights as well as married to BC - in our case the eligibility for each was only separated by a matter of weeks.

When you apply you dont actually choose a route but put the facts on the paper and send it off. No idea if being married to a BC will have made any difference or not, presumably not but who knows with the HO