ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minor Indian Passport Renewal was not accepted at VFS as I have got British nationality

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Re: Minor Indian Passport Renewal was not accepted at VFS as I have got British nationality

Post by rubyracer2 » Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 am

Sivaquery wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:19 pm
Has anyone explored the option of traveling to India and renewing the Minor's Passport there?
Can it be done in India, as this issue seems only to be present in the UK.
Or will we face new issues there?
We were told this is an option using the mother's passport but they wont give Tatkal option applying from India. We didnt have a long time to travel so I had to return to the UK without renewal

Sivaquery
United Kingdom

Re: Minor Indian Passport Renewal was not accepted at VFS as I have got British nationality

Post by Sivaquery » Fri May 17, 2024 10:57 am

rubyracer2 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 am
Sivaquery wrote:
Has anyone explored the option of traveling to India and renewing the Minor's Passport there?
We were told this is an option using the mother's passport but they wont give Tatkal option applying from India. We didnt have a long time to travel so I had to return to the UK without renewal
Thanks for responding rubyracer2.

We are considering traveling to India later this month or in June as an option. We could stay for 2-3 weeks max in India (not sure if that is enough time)

I called the Passport helpline call center in India and was told that if both parents appeared in person at the PSK in India (with British and Indian passports), we could apply via the tatkal option for our kids.
Is that incorrect info ( I think it might be TCS staff, don't know who answers the call center queries )

Also can I ask if you traveled with passport of less than 6 months validity? My kids passport expire in Oct 2024 and I am worried they might be denied boarding at time of return.( if my application is not successful or application is not accepted)

pvf23
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by pvf23 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:41 pm

I think you can apply under Tatkal if both parents are present and signs the "Annexure D" form. This page says Tatkal is not available if only one parent applies by providing "Annexure C". I beleive what the TCS staff say is correct info.
Tatkaal scheme is not available for the following categories:
Minor’s application with Annexure C (Ex. Minors whose Parents are divorced or separated, etc)

Rud
United Kingdom

Post by Rud » Fri May 17, 2024 11:30 pm

I think the India passport office has revoked the minor passport when the parents applied for renewal.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 756174.cms

pvf23
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by pvf23 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:05 am

Rud, I believe in the case you referenced (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 756174.cms) the children also became a citizen of the US, but the courts still let them keep their Indian citizenship. If any, this should give a lot of hope to all the folks in this thread.
But I agree, that there is a chance that during the application process they might revoke the current passport and an appeal/ court litigation might be needed to get a new passport

jvince
Newly Registered
India

Post by jvince » Sun May 19, 2024 8:32 am

rubyracer2 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:54 am
jvince wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:52 pm
Hi,

I am in the same situation, I literally got my citizenship couple of weeks ago, I haven't yet renounced my Indian citizenship. Is it ok that I apply for my children's passports using my Indian passport which is still valid?

Anyone got any further updates from high commission?

Thanks!
Yes, its best if you apply for renewal at VFS before surrendering/renouncing your citizenship. Some of us made this mistake and we are now stuck

Hi,

I went ahead and applied for my children passports using my Indian passport, I used Tatkal service and got their passports already!

Since my kids are eligible for British citizenship by end of next year, I will not renounce my Indian citizenship untill then. I think that should be ok? Should I still surrender my Indian passport in 3 months though?

Thanks

Sivaquery
United Kingdom

Post by Sivaquery » Sun May 19, 2024 2:00 pm

pvf23 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 3:05 am
Rud, I believe in the case you referenced (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 756174.cms) the children also became a citizen of the US, but the courts still let them keep their Indian citizenship. If any, this should give a lot of hope to all the folks in this thread.
But I agree, that there is a chance that during the application process they might revoke the current passport and an appeal/ court litigation might be needed to get a new passport
This is one of my main worries - that they might revoke the passport.

I have been trying to google this information, but am unable to find any more news articles.

Any ideas on how long an appeal/ court litigation might take to get a new passport? I have been trying to check the timeline of previous court cases on Passports for minors, but can't find relevant details.
Also, do we need to be in India to file one?

Sivaquery
United Kingdom

Post by Sivaquery » Sun May 19, 2024 2:02 pm

pvf23 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 3:05 am
This is one of my main worries - that they might revoke the passport.

I have been trying to google this information, but am unable to find any more news articles.

Any ideas on how long an appeal/ court litigation might take to get a new passport? I have been trying to check the timeline of previous court cases on Passports for minors, but can't find relevant details.
Also, do we need to be in India to file one?

pvf23
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by pvf23 » Sun May 19, 2024 6:17 pm

Not sure where you are based in India. But I would recommend talking to an immigration lawyer in India about appeal/litigation timeline process. I have consulted with Name removed by moderator (weblink removed by moderator ) from Company name removed by Moderator in City name removed by moderator. He was the advocate in the Other name removed by Moderator vs Union of India case that dealt with the section 8/9 confusion.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:06 pm

pvf23 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 6:17 pm
Not sure where you are based in India. But I would recommend talking to an immigration lawyer in India about appeal/litigation timeline process. I have consulted with Name removed by moderator (weblink removed by moderator ) from Company name removed by Moderator in City name removed by moderator. He was the advocate in the Other name removed by Moderator vs Union of India case that dealt with the section 8/9 confusion.
Pleased do NOT post names, details or links to solicitors company's. It is strictly not permitted and if you persist in posting such information, you will be banned permanently from the forum!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sivaquery
United Kingdom

Post by Sivaquery » Tue May 21, 2024 10:38 am

rubyracer2 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 am
Sivaquery wrote:
Did they give you a reason for not offering Tatkal option?
Is it because -1 parent is Indian and other has a foreign nationality?
Or is it because their current Passport has been issued in UK ?

Also I read online that sometimes for passports issued in UK, they might send an enquiry to the Indian Consulate/ Embassy in UK.

If you don't mind, Can I ask- since you were not able to renew passports in India, what option do u think our kids have in UK now?

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Post by rubyracer2 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:17 am

Sivaquery wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:38 am
Did they give you a reason for not offering Tatkal option?
Is it because -1 parent is Indian and other has a foreign nationality?
Or is it because their current Passport has been issued in UK ?

Also I read online that sometimes for passports issued in UK, they might send an enquiry to the Indian Consulate/ Embassy in UK.

If you don't mind, Can I ask- since you were not able to renew passports in India, what option do u think our kids have in UK now?
This was told to us by the agent who may have been wrong. i didnt have a lot of time to travel (2 weeks) so I just gave up and thought of renewing in the UK. But this was before I knew VFS is not accepting renewals in the UK. If I had known that , I would have made more effort for it. :(

Rud
United Kingdom

Post by Rud » Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:40 pm

I have submitted a grievance through the designated portal, addressing the Indian Prime Minister and reporting an issue with the Indian Consulate in the UK.

https://www.pmindia.gov.in/en/interact-with-honble-pm/

I can now see that the complaint has been processed and forwarded to the High Commission of India in London. I would those affected to raise similar grievances so that a solution can be found soon. It is best to submit these complaints under the 'Indian External Affairs' category to ensure they reach the appropriate department. I have detailed the entire issue, including the recent Delhi High Court verdict and the different Indian passport renewal procedures followed by Indian consulates in Australia, New Zealand, and other countries. The Indian Consulate in London is not prioritizing children's futures and is refusing to process minor Indian passport applications. Once you have submitted your grievance, keep checking the status using the complaint reference number to see if it has reached the Indian Consulate in London.

https://www.pmindia.gov.in/en/interact-with-honble-pm/