ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AlexBrecks
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by AlexBrecks » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:15 am

meself2 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:24 pm
Either that (if someone is pregnant) or in case the child is not entitled to any other citizenship by birth and is born abroad (ie both parents are naturalised Irish citizens), so child won't be stateless.
AlexBrecks wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:37 pm
It would save a lot of travel and visa bureaucracy if we could get them an Irish passport straight away!
It would save us all time and bureaucracy.
Yes, this would be the case. The child will be entitled to other citizenships but none automatically, so any citizenship application would have to go through its own FBR-like process first. Do you have experience of this kind of application yourself, or you just know that it's possible?

MrsMary
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by MrsMary » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:40 pm

My timeline:

Online application submitted: 24-Sept-2022
Documents received by FBR: 7-Oct-2022
Address check: 19-July-2023

Application is based on parent's FBR before child was born.

Lampwillow
Newly Registered
England

Post by Lampwillow » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:08 pm

Hi everyone I am getting everything I need in order to apply for FBR, all of my grandparents are irish nationals however the only birth certificate I have beyond mine and my father's is my partnernal grandparents.

The potential issue here being that although an official document issued in 1986 it lacks my grandfather's parents on the document, there isn't even a space for them.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this he wasn't adopted or anything so it's been a bit of a head scratcher for me

Cheers

jimmygiii
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jimmygiii » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:29 pm

You may want to ask for a new copy(s) from Ireland. I found the ordering process to be relatively straight forward and the certs arrive timely. I had many details incorrect on my first order but they found the correct birth certificate.
https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-dea ... rtificate/

You can probably find the birth record itself here under 'Civil Records'. It should show the same information as the birth certificate, including parents names.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Hope this helps!

Coachman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Coachman » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:26 pm

Sharing timeline for anyone applying for Irish Passport from USA after receipt of FBR certificate. 21 days from documentation mailed to received in Passport office. Most of the duration was the wonderful journey my package took through the USA Hubs/Distribution/Customs before leaving for Ireland. Received starts the turnaround clock for Passports -> Currently posted as average of 20 working days. So, might receive passport within 30 days from now.

Applied online: June 27 2023
Documents mailed from USA via registered mail: June 29 2023
Departed USA: July 12 2023
Arrived Dublin: July 13 2023
Delivered to Passport office: July 19 2023.

Best wishes to all.

TTYW
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TTYW » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:05 am

ronaldbutterbean wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:51 am
Unfortunately you will most likely be put on the additional document line which will be at least 4 more months maybe more
I’m aware, slightly disappointing but c’est la vie! At least I know the rest of the application is fine and they’ve looked it over.

miamouseFBR
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by miamouseFBR » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:46 am

Hi all,

Long time reader but only just now applying for my FBR (paternal Irish grandmother).

I've received my dads and my grandmothers certificates and have realized that my grandmother lied on my dad's birth certificate, her and my grandfather were not married before having children, but she signed my dads birth certificate with what would be her married surname, and not her maiden one, which would have been her legal name at the time. This is worrying as they married 15 years later and it will show that the dates don't match up on my dads certificate and their marriage certificate.

Has anybody had a problem like this before? I don't want them to turn me down for my FBR because of it. Is it recommended that I mention this in my application?

Thanks!

TTYW
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TTYW » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:14 pm

miamouseFBR wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:46 am
Hi all,

Long time reader but only just now applying for my FBR (paternal Irish grandmother).

I've received my dads and my grandmothers certificates and have realized that my grandmother lied on my dad's birth certificate, her and my grandfather were not married before having children, but she signed my dads birth certificate with what would be her married surname, and not her maiden one, which would have been her legal name at the time. This is worrying as they married 15 years later and it will show that the dates don't match up on my dads certificate and their marriage certificate.

Has anybody had a problem like this before? I don't want them to turn me down for my FBR because of it. Is it recommended that I mention this in my application?

Thanks!
I had a similar sort of problem also through a paternal grandparent to do with name changes. I just wrote a brief explanatory cover letter and signed it explaining the situation. I imagine it is fairly common for them to be discrepancies in FBR applications through grandparents, as everything wasn’t as centralised and bureaucratised back then.

TayBluetooth
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by TayBluetooth » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:51 pm

Hi everyone,

Just updating everyone on my situation.

I sent my application away on 30/06/22.

Documents were received on 08/07/22.

I got an email on 23/03/23 mentioning a problem with my Grandfather's death certificate not being original. In this email, they also asked me to confirm my address which I did.

After this email, I sent the correct original document away and followed up twice asking if it had been checked, but they replied that it hasn't yet due to a backlog. They received this document on 11/04/2023.

As of today, I haven't heard back still, so I decided to email a member of the Oireachtas to contact the Tánaiste directly about the additional document wait. The member said they will contact him and update me as soon as they hear back.

My main worry is that with the main focus being on sorting out correct applications, the ones with additional documents needed are being overlooked.

If I get a reply I will keep everyone updated.

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:04 pm

I see lots of mentions of "original documents", is this the common understanding of that that means:

A) Original: This is the very 1st one (aka original) issued by the government at the time of event: birth, marriage, death, in some cases it will have original signatures, but not always depending on the event
B) Certified copy: This is where years later after the event you request and purchase a copy issued by the official government agency. Sometimes there are different versions (short vs long), these often have a stamp showing its issued by the government agency.
C) Notarized copy: This where A or B is photocopied and a notary signs that the doc is in fact an accurate copy
D) Photocopy: Self explanatory

My understanding is that A and B are accepted by the FBR authorities, C and D are not. Thoughts?

jimmygiii
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jimmygiii » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:21 pm

Application submitted - 26/September/2022
Documents received email - 04/October/2022
Processing fee email - 10/July/2023
Address check email - 11/July/2023
Congrats email - 20/July/2023

I'll keep posting my progress, when I receive my certificate in hand and the Passport process as well. Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences and timelines.

Coachman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Coachman » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:47 am

adlarson wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:04 pm
I see lots of mentions of "original documents", is this the common understanding of that that means:

A) Original: This is the very 1st one (aka original) issued by the government at the time of event: birth, marriage, death, in some cases it will have original signatures, but not always depending on the event
B) Certified copy: This is where years later after the event you request and purchase a copy issued by the official government agency. Sometimes there are different versions (short vs long), these often have a stamp showing its issued by the government agency.
C) Notarized copy: This where A or B is photocopied and a notary signs that the doc is in fact an accurate copy

My understanding is that A and B are accepted by the FBR authorities, C and D are not. Thoughts?
I agree. For me, A + B are what they are looking for regarding birth,marriage, death certificates for the FBR. The only things I notarized were my identity documents. The passport process only asked for A or B long form birth certificate and notarized color copies of FBR and other documents.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:13 pm

adlarson wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:04 pm

It really depends on the document in question.

A - Original should be acceptable, but not if it's not the "long form" or doesn't have a raised seal or it's so old and degraded that it's not legible.
B - Certified copy. This is (IMO) what most people use for most documents required. Think of it like an official reissued document from the government. Make sure you order the "long form"
C - Notarized copy. Only allowed where specified.
D - Photocopy - never allowed.

Ozzy1986
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ozzy1986 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:06 am

TayBluetooth wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:51 pm
Hi everyone,

Just updating everyone on my situation.

I sent my application away on 30/06/22.

Documents were received on 08/07/22.

I got an email on 23/03/23 mentioning a problem with my Grandfather's death certificate not being original. In this email, they also asked me to confirm my address which I did.

After this email, I sent the correct original document away and followed up twice asking if it had been checked, but they replied that it hasn't yet due to a backlog. They received this document on 11/04/2023.

As of today, I haven't heard back still, so I decided to email a member of the Oireachtas to contact the Tánaiste directly about the additional document wait. The member said they will contact him and update me as soon as they hear back.

My main worry is that with the main focus being on sorting out correct applications, the ones with additional documents needed are being overlooked.

If I get a reply I will keep everyone updated.
I'll be very interested to hear their reply! I might have to go down the same route as my timeline is very similar to yours.

mr-grn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mr-grn » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:14 pm

Hi everyone, first time poster here, just got an address check so thought to update my current timeline :D

Application submitted - 26th August 2022
Documents received email - 5th October 2022
Address check email - 17th July 2023 (+9 months)

Hopefully not too much longer til a successful result email!

cjw91
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cjw91 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:31 pm

Hello - has anybody had any experience of applying with documents that are not 100% accurate. I have been having issues collecting the documentation as the grandparent has a wrong spelling on my parent's birth certificate (in the first name). In addition to this, their death certificate has a misspelling for the maiden name.

jimmygiii
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jimmygiii » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:14 pm

I believe small inaccuracies are quite normal. In my case a maiden last name had a different spelling and a date of birth was a bit off from birth certificate and death certificates. I also have relatives where baptismal birth dates can be months different from civil birth certificates. People had 6 weeks to go and get the birth recorded officially. It was not easy to travel a distance within that period of time. People would fib the birth date to the civil authorities to avoid a fine. When I did my FBR I used records of just one grandparent as inaccuracies were less compared to the other. However I still think I would have been successful using the other Grandparent.

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:56 am

Success! Mine was a very straightforward case though. FBR for my daughter based on my entry to the FBR in the months before she was born.

Documents Received Email: 04/10/22
Address Check: 11/07/23
Approval: 25/07/23

As soon as I get the documents back it'll be passport applications next for me and my daughter!

AussieBiscuithead
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by AussieBiscuithead » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:14 pm

Ozzy1986 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:02 pm
AussieBiscuithead wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:41 pm
I had posted previously about submitted additional documentation. I send the documents in early March with tracking; tracking indicated it was received 21st of March. I received no confirmation email saying the documents had been received, similar to confirmation email you first submit the application.

I emailed the urgent FBR email address asking if they will send a confirmation email, after waiting 1 and half months. I finally received a response to my email.....

"We are currently experiencing large volumes of post for incomplete applications. Additional documents are being registered and merged to their corresponding files in order of date received before being sent forward for entitlement checking.

The current lead time for incomplete applications is three / four months. Processing times remain indicative only, and it may be processed sooner or later than this depending on available processing resources."

Hope that helps other people who have submitted additional documents as part of their application.

Best,
AussieBiscuit
Hi AussieBiscuit,

I sent my supporting documents approx 6 months ago and still haven't heard back so 3/4 months is being very generous. The waiting game is hard!

Ozzy
Hi Ozzy,

Have you been lucky enough to hear an update about your application? I ticked over four month mark since they received my new documents, and based on your 6 month wait, I'm not expecting any update for 3 months minimum.

Best,
AussieBiscuit

mr-grn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mr-grn » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:14 pm

Success email received! Here is my updated timeline, good luck for everyone with their application still pending!

Application submitted - 26th August 2022
Documents received email - 5th October 2022
Address check email - 17th July 2023
Congratulations email - 25th July 2023

Ozzy1986
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ozzy1986 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:45 am

AussieBiscuithead wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:14 pm
Ozzy1986 wrote:
AussieBiscuithead wrote:
I had posted previously about submitted additional documentation. I send the documents in early March with tracking; tracking indicated it was received 21st of March. I received no confirmation email saying the documents had been received, similar to confirmation email you first submit the application.

I emailed the urgent FBR email address asking if they will send a confirmation email, after waiting 1 and half months. I finally received a response to my email.....

"We are currently experiencing large volumes of post for incomplete applications. Additional documents are being registered and merged to their corresponding files in order of date received before being sent forward for entitlement checking.

The current lead time for incomplete applications is three / four months. Processing times remain indicative only, and it may be processed sooner or later than this depending on available processing resources."

Hope that helps other people who have submitted additional documents as part of their application.

Best,
AussieBiscuit
Hi AussieBiscuit,

I sent my supporting documents approx 6 months ago and still haven't heard back so 3/4 months is being very generous. The waiting game is hard!

Ozzy
Hi Ozzy,

Have you been lucky enough to hear an update about your application? I ticked over four month mark since they received my new documents, and based on your 6 month wait, I'm not expecting any update for 3 months minimum.

Best,
AussieBiscuit
Hi Aussie,

No, unfortunately not and at this point I think I have exhausted all my options. I've written emails & letters and phoned but no one can seem to help. Every response has been to just wait there is nothing they can do!

Ozzy

ESCJack
Newly Registered
Malta

Post by ESCJack » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:58 pm

My FBR journey has come to an end today!

My timeline:
Applied online - 15 Sept 2022
Documents received - 23 Sept 2022
Address check email - 5 July 2023
Email confirming I’m approved - 10 July 2023
Congratulations email / FBR posted - 21 July 2023
FBR certificate received - 26 July 2023

Just over 10 months from applying to receiving the certificate .. not too bad at all. Have updated the spreadsheet :D

AussieBiscuithead
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by AussieBiscuithead » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:55 am

Ozzy1986 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:45 am
AussieBiscuithead wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:14 pm
Ozzy1986 wrote:
AussieBiscuithead wrote:

Best,
AussieBiscuit
Hi AussieBiscuit,

Ozzy
Hi Ozzy,

Best,
AussieBiscuit
Hi Aussie,

No, unfortunately not and at this point I think I have exhausted all my options. I've written emails & letters and phoned but no one can seem to help. Every response has been to just wait there is nothing they can do!

Ozzy
Wow, I was hoping to hear something within the next few months. I'm suspecting I won't hear anything until next year.

Hope you hear back soon!

Best,
AussieBiscuit

MrsMary
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by MrsMary » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:45 pm

MrsMary wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:40 pm
My timeline:

Online application submitted: 24-Sept-2022
Documents received by FBR: 7-Oct-2022
Address check: 19-July-2023

Application is based on parent's FBR before child was born.
Congrats email saying cert has been printed and posted: 27-July-2023

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:11 pm

Hi all. Big thanks to everyone who has posted I’m a long time lurker.

I applied last September and just got a clarification email from the embassy saying they need evidence of accountancy qualification from the person who certified/notarised/witnesses my scan of my passport and my fathers passport and my photos.

The problem is, this person is being very unresponsive (he no longer works at the same place as me) and when he has responded it’s been very vague and I have a bad feeling he’s no longer a CPA member or something. I’m concerned I’m not going to get the evidence required (although haven’t written it off completely yet).

Does anyone know what the timing impact would be if I just got new copies and photos certified and sent them off? Could I scan these and send them via email (the person asking for the evidence of qualification asked me to scan the evidence and send it through to an email address), or would I have to send hard copies and likely set the clock back months?

Can’t believe this is the piece where I’ve come unstuck…absolutely gutted