ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Elousseili
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Elousseili » Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:26 pm

Hi
I applied for my son for a foreign birth registration about 9 month ago but now they ask me by email to send a original document to a address that doesn’t have post code as the dhl says
Does anyone knows or have the same issue
Or have any phone number i can call to obtain the missing information
The address is

Department of Foreign Affairs | FOREIGN BIRTH REGISTRATION SECTION
Foreign Births Registration Returns Section
PO Box 13003
Balbriggan
Co Dublin
Ireland

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:06 pm

Elousseili wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:26 pm
Hi
I applied for my son for a foreign birth registration about 9 month ago but now they ask me by email to send a original document to a address that doesn’t have post code as the dhl says
The address is

PO Box 13003
Balbriggan
Co Dublin
Ireland
I dont think it has a post code you can google ur self "post code balbriggan "
as you applied 9 months ago to this address cant you send by the same method?

you dont say what country you are in Others from your country might point you to another carrier

Elousseili
Newly Registered

Post by Elousseili » Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:47 pm

I’m in the uk
The first time I applied it was through Irish embassy in london
I tried googling to get the post code but no luck

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:51 pm

Elousseili wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:47 pm
I’m in the uk
Do you not want to use Royal Mail then?
Search for stories of people sending documetns from teh UK on this forum.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:43 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:51 pm
Elousseili wrote:
I’m in the uk
Post code for FBR: K32 AE72

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:59 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:51 pm
Elousseili wrote:
I’m in the uk
Exactly track and trace. Royal Mail . Follow it on the internet and also on the other side with "an post " door to door

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:08 pm

Hi all,

I am applying to have my daughter registered on the FBR and there are a few things I'd like clarification on that I hope this forum can help me with. 

"Original civil birth certificate (showing parental details)". 
I have a birth certificate for my daughter that lists both my name and my wife's name but doesn't go into details like when either of us were born or where. Will this style of birth certificate suffice?

"Letter from school, family doctor or other relevant source on headed paper which includes the minor’s address".
What exactly is the nature of this letter and what should its contents be? Should it be written by the same person who is witnessing the application or can it be someone else who works in a recognized profession?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
M

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:26 pm

Mandino55 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:08 pm
Hi all,

I am applying to have my daughter registered on the FBR and there are a few things I'd like clarification on that I hope this forum can help me with. 

I have a birth certificate for my daughter that lists both my name and my wife's name but doesn't go into details like when either of us were born or where. Will this style of birth certificate suffice?

"Letter from school, family doctor or other relevant source on headed paper which includes the minor’s address".
What exactly is the nature of this letter and what should its contents be? Should it be written by the same person who is witnessing the application or can it be someone else who works in a recognized profession?

Best,
M
If the issuing country has a long form birth certificate that has more information I'd order that version. You could send in the certificate you have since it has parents names. BUT -they may ask for a better version down the road which will increase the processing time. You could send off application with the certificate you have now and then send newer version later but before they start reviewing it all. If you do this make sure to follow up and check that it is added to the original application.

The letter basically should state that they know the applicant and how. How they are a valid qualified to write the letter (i.e. -I am a doctor....)
I'd have the letter include parents/guardians name(s) as well. Make sure it has the child's address. Make sure application # is on letter too.

Good luck

jgclancy

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:42 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:26 pm
Mandino55 wrote:
Hi all,

Best,
M
If the issuing country has a long form birth certificate that has more information I'd order that version. You could send in the certificate you have since it has parents names. BUT -they may ask for a better version down the road which will increase the processing time. You could send off application with the certificate you have now and then send newer version later but before they start reviewing it all. If you do this make sure to follow up and check that it is added to the original application.

The letter basically should state that they know the applicant and how. How they are a valid qualified to write the letter (i.e. -I am a doctor....)
I'd have the letter include parents/guardians name(s) as well. Make sure it has the child's address. Make sure application # is on letter too.

Good luck

jgclancy
Thanks for the feedback!

And your interpretation is that the letter should be from the same person that will be witnessing the application or that they can be seperate people?

Thanks!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:35 pm

Mandino55 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:42 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Mandino55 wrote:
Hi all,

Best,
M

Good luck

jgclancy
Thanks for the feedback!

And your interpretation is that the letter should be from the same person that will be witnessing the application or that they can be seperate people?

Thanks!
They can be separate people. The letter is independent of the application witness .Hence, the different list of who makes the letter compared to witness list.

jgclancy

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:30 am

jgclancy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:35 pm
Mandino55 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:42 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Mandino55 wrote:
Hi all,

Best,
M

Good luck

jgclancy
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks!
They can be separate people. The letter is independent of the application witness .Hence, the different list of who makes the letter compared to witness list.

jgclancy
Thanks again!

brianfalconerglasgow
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by brianfalconerglasgow » Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:06 pm

OK just got my "Congratulations" email. The whole process took 14 months and my certificate is in the post. I now need to order a passport online, is there a step by step process on here how to make sure I don't mess it up at this stage. I am living in Scotland and my grandfather was born in Dublin.

cheers

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:54 pm

brianfalconerglasgow wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:06 pm
OK just got my "Congratulations" email. The whole process took 14 months and my certificate is in the post. I now need to order a passport online, is there a step by step process on here how to make sure I don't mess it up at this stage. I am living in Scotland and my grandfather was born in Dublin.

cheers
Dfa.ie
-First time passports / FBR option / Living in UK

You'll need #s & date on FBR certificate plus an uploadable digital photo to complete online application.
Print out a few copies btw
They will specify all documents needed.

jgclancy

brianfalconerglasgow
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by brianfalconerglasgow » Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:37 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:54 pm
brianfalconerglasgow wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:06 pm

cheers
Dfa.ie
-First time passports / FBR option / Living in UK

You'll need #s & date on FBR certificate plus an uploadable digital photo to complete online application.
Print out a few copies btw
They will specify all documents needed.

jgclancy
Thanks for the reply. I don't see an FBR option on the site I was given. Do you have a complete link for it?

cheers

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:16 pm

Here you go:

Go to DFA.ie
Go to Passports Online
Apply Online
Click An Adult(18+)
Click First Time
Click-I understand
Country- Choose United Kingdom (GBR)
Enter Date of Birth
Citizenship Category -----select Foreign Births registration then click NEXT
Next page has info you input from FBR certificate
---Cert # at top
---Date of entry
---Entry number (6 numbers-ignore four zeroes at front if present on certificate

Rest will be follow along stuff/upload passport photo/pay/ save PDF (important) print out a few copies

good luck

jgclancy

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:17 pm

Well, after months of tedious document collecting, today’s the day that I finally mail my FBR package off to the Emerald Isle - except it isn’t. Why? Because when I got home, the ink from my witness’s official stamp, which he had so kindly applied to the back of two of my photos, along with his signature and the date, clearly hadn’t had long enough to dry - nothing but an illegible, smudgy mess to behold!! You’ve got to laugh!

Still, not to worry, I’ll get more photos and he’ll do it again for me, which might actually be a blessing in disguise. And by that I mean that these documents are being sent to an official European government body for perusal/actioning, and he’s dated everything in US format. I didn’t even think about that until just now. Would that even have been an issue? And if so, are corrections allowed on the two other documents that he signed & dated?

Just when you think you’ve got it down pat, more questions!!

Thanks.

brianfalconerglasgow
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by brianfalconerglasgow » Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:28 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:16 pm
Here you go:

Go to DFA.ie
Go to Passports Online
Apply Online
Click An Adult(18+)
Click First Time
Click-I understand
Country- Choose United Kingdom (GBR)
Enter Date of Birth
Citizenship Category -----select Foreign Births registration then click NEXT
Next page has info you input from FBR certificate
---Cert # at top
---Date of entry
---Entry number (6 numbers-ignore four zeroes at front if present on certificate

Rest will be follow along stuff/upload passport photo/pay/ save PDF (important) print out a few copies

good luck

jgclancy
Thats great. Thank you very much. Regars Brian

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:27 am

Daymo34 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:17 pm
Well, after months of tedious document collecting, today’s the day that I finally mail my FBR package off to the Emerald Isle - except it isn’t. Why? Because when I got home, the ink from my witness’s official stamp, which he had so kindly applied to the back of two of my photos, along with his signature and the date, clearly hadn’t had long enough to dry - nothing but an illegible, smudgy mess to behold!! You’ve got to laugh!

Still, not to worry, I’ll get more photos and he’ll do it again for me, which might actually be a blessing in disguise. And by that I mean that these documents are being sent to an official European government body for perusal/actioning, and he’s dated everything in US format. I didn’t even think about that until just now. Would that even have been an issue? And if so, are corrections allowed on the two other documents that he signed & dated?

Thanks.
Yeah--the stamp on photo can be troublesome. You could just make a photocopy of and have him sign, date & stamp that. Stamping photo is not critical. Stamp where he witnesses on application . Also---witness needs to sign & date 2 photos ...AND make sure application # is on the 2 photos. Read Section E of the application about that.

You can include a note about date issue.

Good Luck

jgclancy

domino138
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by domino138 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:27 am

Elousseili wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:26 pm
Hi
The address is

PO Box 13003
Balbriggan
Co Dublin
Ireland
I might be too late for you to take note, but I've just used the UPS Standard service to collect from my home and courier all my documentation; the Irish DFA have confirmed that they have received the documents. I didn't need to supply a post code. It took 4 working days to arrive.

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:08 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:27 am
Daymo34 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:17 pm

Thanks.
Yeah--the stamp on photo can be troublesome. You could just make a photocopy of and have him sign, date & stamp that. Stamping photo is not critical. Stamp where he witnesses on application . Also---witness needs to sign & date 2 photos ...AND make sure application # is on the 2 photos. Read Section E of the application about that.

You can include a note about date issue.

Good Luck

jgclancy
Ah, the ever helpful JGC!

You know, when I was going through the K1 fiancé visa many years ago (moving from the UK to the US) I found a forum very similar to this one ([REMOVED BY MODERATOR]) that I was able to mine large amounts of incredibly useful/helpful information from. Anyway, there was an American lady on the UK forum (she'd brought her British husband over on a K1) who became known as the "Godmother Of The UK Forum" because she always imparted her extensive knowledge on said forum, to the benefit of many. Point being, you seem to fill that role here, and I've no doubt that many are extremely thankful for that - myself included.

Once again, thank you for your sage advice.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:39 pm

Daymo34 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:08 pm
Ah, the ever helpful JGC!

You know, when I was going through the K1 fiancé visa many years ago (moving from the UK to the US) I found a forum very similar to this one ([REMOVED BY MODERATOR]) that I was able to mine large amounts of incredibly useful/helpful information from. Anyway, there was an American lady on the UK forum (she'd brought her British husband over on a K1) who became known as the "Godmother Of The UK Forum" because she always imparted her extensive knowledge on said forum, to the benefit of many. Point being, you seem to fill that role here, and I've no doubt that many are extremely thankful for that - myself included.

Once again, thank you for your sage advice.
[/quote]

Happy to help everyone & anyone.

jgclancy

Htex
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Htex » Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:10 pm

@jgclancy (or anyone else in similar waters)....

My rejected case for FBR. I wrote the case officer twice with requests on whatever else could be done to advance my application and, as of my last writing, had received word that my application had been escalated to a "senior inspector" for review.

Update! 09/13/2024 I received word that to process my application the department needs a copy of my grandfather's (subject through which my FBR is tethered) MOTHER's death certificate. This document is not a part of the original packet request but fortunately one I am able to provide.

To anyone new to this thread, my issue for rejection was based on my Irish grandfather changing his last name from his birthname to his mother's maiden name when he fled Ireland for England to avoid the WWI draft in Ireland (working theory). In my appeals I pressed the importance of looking at the consistency of date alignments (census data, births/deaths/marriages) and how every single one was accurate and consistent with all events pertaining to my grandfather - irrespective of the name he assumed.

I will keep the group updated on my progress should it serve to help anyone else in similar predicaments.

To add a small additional piece of advice to jgclancy's brilliant guids - do yourself a favor and be sure to be polite, non-demanding, and ernest in your communications with the Irish (or any) government agent/agency. Having worked through several immigration mazes before I can attest that there is almost ALWAYS an element of professional discretion in the hands of the case officers and reviewers. Beyond communicating honestly and in a fair tone - for their own sake, remember that the person(s) on the receiving end are civil servants just trying to do their jobs. One catches more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Thanks to all who contribute here. I a truly excellent community and forum.

SB

Htex
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Htex » Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:27 pm

Great advice, thanks for posting. Also comforting to know they actually explored the issue once you justified your sending the docs already. I could be jaded by my experiences but so many agents and agencies don't/won't take the time to look and simply stand on a demand for new docs.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:53 pm

Htex wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:10 pm
@jgclancy (or anyone else in similar waters)....

My rejected case for FBR. I wrote the case officer twice with requests on whatever else could be done to advance my application and, as of my last writing, had received word that my application had been escalated to a "senior inspector" for review.

Update! 09/13/2024 I received word that to process my application the department needs a copy of my grandfather's (subject through which my FBR is tethered) MOTHER's death certificate. This document is not a part of the original packet request but fortunately one I am able to provide.

To anyone new to this thread, my issue for rejection was based on my Irish grandfather changing his last name from his birthname to his mother's maiden name when he fled Ireland for England to avoid the WWI draft in Ireland (working theory). In my appeals I pressed the importance of looking at the consistency of date alignments (census data, births/deaths/marriages) and how every single one was accurate and consistent with all events pertaining to my grandfather - irrespective of the name he assumed.

I will keep the group updated on my progress should it serve to help anyone else in similar predicaments.

To add a small additional piece of advice to jgclancy's brilliant guids - do yourself a favor and be sure to be polite, non-demanding, and ernest in your communications with the Irish (or any) government agent/agency. Having worked through several immigration mazes before I can attest that there is almost ALWAYS an element of professional discretion in the hands of the case officers and reviewers. Beyond communicating honestly and in a fair tone - for their own sake, remember that the person(s) on the receiving end are civil servants just trying to do their jobs. One catches more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Thanks to all who contribute here. I a truly excellent community and forum.

SB
Good to hear. Yes, always be civil. They have tons of applications and just a please or thank you goes a long way when communicating.
I've been helping a friend with a rare passport application case involving having citizenship through marriage pre-2004 law changes. We've had to deal with the Dept. of Justice, the passport office and the NYC consulate to just get everything figured out on how to apply online. Which is now done & documents mailed/arrived--we wait. Along the way each department has been considerate and trying their best to help. Yes, bureaucracy can be trying & tedious at times but always be civil is best advice. And remember you can usually appeal and get them to take a second look by providing more documentation. More is Better.

Hope it all pans out for you!
jgclancy

London8879
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by London8879 » Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:57 pm

Foreign Births Registration - My Journey Timeline

To help other gauge the current timeline, I enclose below my journey. I applied for FBR based on my grandmother being born in The Republic of Ireland. In January 2023 my official witness was contacted and failed due to no fault of IrelandGov or myself, I had to resubmit my application with a new witness but under the same application number. I also moved house during to process so submitted additional proof of address documents in the January 2023 resubmission.

FBR Online application: 13-April-2023
FBR Application paperwork sent: 18-May-2023
FBR Application paperwork received: 25-May-2023
~8 months
FBR Additional documents request: 22-Jan-2024
FBR Additional documents sent: 26-Jan-2024
FBR Additional documents received: 31-Jan-2024
~6 months 1 week
FBR Request for address email: 7-Aug-2024
~5 weeks
FBR Congratulations email: 10-Sep-2024
~1 week