ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA self sufficiency - section 9

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

cuttingman23
Newly Registered
Brazil

EEA self sufficiency - section 9

Post by cuttingman23 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:13 pm

If I understand the EEA form correctly, I only need to fill in my details, my partners details, but then section 6 or section 9 or both?

I have a £30K job and savings, so I'm self sufficient and can use that to get the residence card?

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Are you the EEA national or your partner?

It's the EEA national activities that count.

Self sufficient means (the EEA national) is living off saving / living off non EEA work / not working.

If you are a EEA national, then you are a worker - only section 6 is needed.

giorgosa
Greece

Post by giorgosa » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:02 pm

If EEA family member work with EEA FP , and EEA member does not work, can we apply as self-sufficient?

what is the limit for a couple to prove that they are self-sufficient?

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:23 pm

yes you can apply because an EEA national can be self sufficient with the saving/wages income of any of its family member. There is no fixed amount for that and it is entirely depend on an individual case. However, be remembered to buy private medical insurance too.

habibcs

Post by habibcs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:47 am

Englandd wrote:yes you can apply because an EEA national can be self sufficient with the saving/wages income of any of its family member. There is no fixed amount for that and it is entirely depend on an individual case. However, be remembered to buy private medical insurance too.
This is correct. I have a similar case and I have asked twice by UKBA over EEA enquiry number (after reading all the docs and forms) and they said as long as funds are coming continuously to EEA national which are enough to support all family in the application it satisfies the criteria.
But the UKBA person said that I need to buy the CSI - private health insurance even though I have European Health insurance card.
I told her that the docs from UKBA site says that EHIC is sufficient for EEA1 and EEA2 but she still said if you say self-sufficient then get a private CSI.

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:02 pm

European Health insurance card is only for short term stay but CSI is compulsory.
Success is a journey, not a destination. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:46 pm

habibcs wrote: I told her that the docs from UKBA site says that EHIC is sufficient for EEA1 and EEA2 but she still said if you say self-sufficient then get a private CSI.
EHIC can be used as CSI but it needs to be a non-UK EHIC. A UK EHIC is not accepted (this is for travel outside the UK).

habibcs

Post by habibcs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Jambo wrote:
habibcs wrote: I told her that the docs from UKBA site says that EHIC is sufficient for EEA1 and EEA2 but she still said if you say self-sufficient then get a private CSI.
EHIC can be used as CSI but it needs to be a non-UK EHIC. A UK EHIC is not accepted (this is for travel outside the UK).
Yes I told her that I have Denmark's EHIC and when I repeat she went to check with somebody and after 3 minutes she said for Self-Sufficient case you need CSI private and EHIC is not enough.
I cant argue her even though documents says against it. Seems like we have to spend money just for that.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 pm

habibcs wrote:I cant argue her even though documents says against it. Seems like we have to spend money just for that.
She was wrong.

A non-UK EHIC can be used as long as your wife declare that your intentions to stay in the UK are temporary (nothing would happen if later you decide to stay in the UK permanently).

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:46 am

Jambo wrote:
habibcs wrote:I cant argue her even though documents says against it. Seems like we have to spend money just for that.
She was wrong.

A non-UK EHIC can be used as long as your wife declare that your intentions to stay in the UK are temporary (nothing would happen if later you decide to stay in the UK permanently).
But in long term perspective, after completing 5 years such time might cause problem in getting PR because of not having CSI for this period.
Success is a journey, not a destination. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

jjoell23

Post by jjoell23 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:57 pm

After reading all about comprehensive medical insurance it makes me worried to get my PR.

Right now I have European residence card (non EEA) expires in 2015 on my wife EEA nation basis. She is exercising as a self sufficient member. By the time I applied she had Swedish European insurance card which expired in march 2012. She went back to Sweden for 4 months and now she has Swedish European insurance card which will expire in August 2015. Since 2008 I am working as full time employee and earning over 28k/annum.
I was on working holiday visa from 2007 to 2009 and after that on European residence card. I know i have done silly mistake not buying CSI However,I am already paying too much for my NI so why I should pay extra (if EEA national working then his non EEA national partner do not need CSI but why other way around, STRANGE?). Is there any chance I can qualify for PR PLEASE?

Can EU commission statements helps..
"
Under the Free Movement Directive, EU citizens who settle in another EU country but do not work there may be required to have sufficient resources and sickness insurance. The United Kingdom, however, does not consider entitlement to treatment by the UK public healthcare scheme (NHS) as sufficient. This breaches EU law."

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:52 pm

The European Commission is presently talking with the UK about CSI vs. NHS. It may be that UKBA changes its mind in this respect by 2015.

On the other hand you could start wasting your money on CSI now and then apply for PR.

When did your wife come to the UK?

jjoell23

Post by jjoell23 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks Guru for advice. She came in April 2009.

I am thinking to wait until 2017 and then I will be eligible for my PR on 10 years legal stay in uk . But not sure my working holiday 2007-2009 can be counted or not?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 pm

jjoell23 wrote:Thanks Guru for advice. She came in April 2009.

I am thinking to wait until 2017 and then I will be eligible for my PR on 10 years legal stay in uk . But not sure my working holiday 2007-2009 can be counted or not?
If you can't use the years to be recognised for PR under the EEA regulations, then you can't use the same years for long residency ILR (because it won't be considered lawful residence).

jjoell23

Post by jjoell23 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Oh dear.... so i start paying extra money for CSI then....

I wish I could take the UKBA to the court for this...

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:42 pm

jjoell23 wrote:Oh dear.... so i start paying extra money for CSI then....

I wish I could take the UKBA to the court for this...
You can take them to court! That is how laws change!

jjoell23

Post by jjoell23 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks a lot Guru. On the safe side if I buy Csi now, will I be eligible for PR in 2015. Please keep in mind we have only Swedish European health insurance so far? Or do I have to wait until Nov2017 if I buy CSI now?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:32 am

jjoell23 wrote:Thanks a lot Guru. On the safe side if I buy Csi now, will I be eligible for PR in 2015. Please keep in mind we have only Swedish European health insurance so far? Or do I have to wait until Nov2017 if I buy CSI now?
Is it "we have EHIC" or "she has EHIC"? If both of you have a Swedish EHIC, CSI is not required. If only she has EHIC, then you will need CSI as the requirements is for both of you to be covered if you would like to apply for PR.

If you have not been covered, then buying one now would mean your 5 years starts now as the years before are not covered.

jjoell23

Post by jjoell23 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:39 am

Only she has EHIC.... its mean I have to buy CSI to start wasting money from now on.......Thanks angain

jjoell23

Post by jjoell23 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:50 pm

She is doing post study diploma from London since Jan 2010. would this exempt from CSI?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:15 pm

jjoell23 wrote:She is doing post study diploma from London since Jan 2010. would this exempt from CSI?
If the EEA national is exercising treaty rights as a student, only the EEA national needs CSI (or EHIC).