ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CSI

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LilyLalilu

CSI

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi All,

Just need a quick clarification regarding CSI as I read some contradictory posts...
I was a exercising my treaty rights as a worker for the past 3.5 years and am now on a voluntary 3 month break from work before I start a new job in January. I purchased CSI from the date I stopped working so that I would be able to exercise treaty rights as self-sufficient.

Now I read somewhere the other day that when applying for PR one has to have had the CSI for 5 years if claiming self-sufficiency at any point in the qualifying period....Is this correct or is it sufficient to only have the insurance from the time I ceased to be a worker?

Thanks.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Hubba

Re: CSI

Post by Hubba » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:21 am

LilyLalilu wrote:Hi All,

Just need a quick clarification regarding CSI as I read some contradictory posts...
I was a exercising my treaty rights as a worker for the past 3.5 years and am now on a voluntary 3 month break from work before I start a new job in January. I purchased CSI from the date I stopped working so that I would be able to exercise treaty rights as self-sufficient.

Now I read somewhere the other day that when applying for PR one has to have had the CSI for 5 years if claiming self-sufficiency at any point in the qualifying period....Is this correct or is it sufficient to only have the insurance from the time I ceased to be a worker?

Thanks.
What you've read is incorrect. You need to have CSI whilst exercising Treaty Rights as self-sufficient. You don't need CSI during the period on which you were exercising Treaty Rights as a worker.

kunleswags
Newly Registered

Post by kunleswags » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Hello.when u are self sufficient eea national and have a partner with eea2 working and uv got CSI.can u claim tax credits and child benefit.cos the eea national was already claiming them when working before she became self sufficient on partners income

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:26 pm

kunleswags wrote:Hello.when u are self sufficient eea national and have a partner with eea2 working and uv got CSI.can u claim tax credits and child benefit.cos the eea national was already claiming them when working before she became self sufficient on partners income
There are threads on here where people have got refused PR as they claimed public funds when they were in the UK as self sufficient. Tax Credits and Child Benfits are public funds.

CatV
Newly Registered

Post by CatV » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here...

It sounds like during this break, you are either seeking work in the near future, or you are already hired and just taking a break before you begin your new job.

If that is so, I don't think you need to claim as self-sufficient during this period? You are exercising your treaty rights either as an employed person, or as an active job-seeker. I don't think anything in the law says you have to be working every single day of the entire 5-year period.

If you have a job now and just haven't started it yet, you are employed, and you could have your employer state you were hired on X date, and simply didn't start until Y date. If you're looking for one, you're a job seeker.

I tried looking up exactly how you'd be classed, and it's unclear, but I am fairly certain you'd be under "job seeker" -- you are able to provide compelling evidence that you will be engaged in employment, in the form of a firm job offer.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Hubba!

And CatV, I have already been offered another job so am aware that I may not actually need CSI but thought I'd get it just to be on the safe side :)

Thanks for everyone's input!
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:13 am

CatV wrote:Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here...

It sounds like during this break, you are either seeking work in the near future, or you are already hired and just taking a break before you begin your new job.

If that is so, I don't think you need to claim as self-sufficient during this period? You are exercising your treaty rights either as an employed person, or as an active job-seeker. I don't think anything in the law says you have to be working every single day of the entire 5-year period.

If you have a job now and just haven't started it yet, you are employed, and you could have your employer state you were hired on X date, and simply didn't start until Y date. If you're looking for one, you're a job seeker.

I tried looking up exactly how you'd be classed, and it's unclear, but I am fairly certain you'd be under "job seeker" -- you are able to provide compelling evidence that you will be engaged in employment, in the form of a firm job offer.
Hi CatV,

LilyLalilu pointed out on her post that she was in a voluntary 3 month break from work. I assume she wasn't looking for work during this period, thus she couldn't really be exercising Treaty Rights as jobseeker during the entire period. What LilyLalilu has done was the safest choice, in my opinion. Granted, he/she probably spent an extra 50 quid, but it is much fairly easy to prove her Treaty Rights as self-sufficient during this entire period (with CSI and enough funds).

@ LilyLalilu

You're welcome.