ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Seperated Non-EEA family member claiming benefits

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nicelady190
Mood:
United Kingdom

Seperated Non-EEA family member claiming benefits

Post by nicelady190 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Am a separated spouse of an eea national, we've been married for almost 5yrs and December this year 2015 will make it 5yrs we've been married and we have a 2yrs old son. We've been married for more than 4yrs and lived together for more than 4yrs too.
Now I want to know my right to benefits, can I claim housing benefit and working tax credit? I know they said we shouldn't be a burden to public funds to be honest I don't understand that part. I went to citizen advice bureau today and was advice that I have retained right of residence and can claim what ever benefits I want. But my lawyer said I shouldn't coz it might affect me when am applying for my pamanent residence. I really don't know what to do and since he moved out it been a bit difficult with the rent and me working and paying child care. Please can someone advice me on what to do please.

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Re: Seperated Non-EEA family member claiming benefits

Post by Wise » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:22 am

Hi,

So sorry to hear your story.
Firstly,when you're together are you claiming any benefit at all and who is the main claimant e.g child benefit,child tax credit,working tax credit.If it's him and you're still married,knowing his annual income you can call HMRC and claim it as i believed you're a worker. because you're responsible for the baby and not him any more,but don't claim housing benefit without having your PR. Only one of you can make the above claim.

Secondly,this is the most difficult part. Do you have all his employments papers like P60 e.t.c till the end of your RC as you will need them to secure your PR after your 5 years since you haven't initiate divorce which may take 4 0r 6 month to conclude depend where you live in Uk. Also your RC mustn't expire before you submit it for Pr.

Thirdly,Truly you have retained right of residence but you don't have the confirmation with you yet until you apply for it as you haven't divorce ,still considered married but staying separately.

Moderator please add your input to this matter.Thanks

Good luck
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.

nicelady190
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nicelady190 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:28 am

Thank you so much. The child benefits, child tax credit and working tax credit am the main applicant. So do you mean I can claim this three in my name and it won't affect my PR when I apply? So if we divorce will it affect what am claiming already in my name before applying for my PR. And yes I have everything like payslips and P60 and bank statement of him. Won't take the housing benefit thanks for clarifying that for me.

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello,

Firstly,are you thinking of divorce now?which I honestly think will not be good idea because you only have few month to end your RC and shouldn't expired before you re submit it for PR.

Also if you choose to divorce now and let's say before you received your decree absolute you RC has expired,if you submit it for PR at that time I don't know how HO will react as you don't have any stay anymore. As for the benefit claim nothing will affect you as long as you're working and you husband is working even if you don't stay together.

Please don't make mistake by divorcing now wait until you sort your status out first,but I think you stand high chance of getting your PR because of your baby and husband 's 5years treaty right including your own.

Most importantly,if you fail to provide your spouse 5years treaty right the HO can choose to give you another five year again and you wouldn't like. Am talking from experience . Make sure you always come back to this forum as there's a lot to learn both from members and the moderators.

Once again good luck.
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.

nicelady190
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nicelady190 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks Wise for all the advice so far. I meant to say my marriage will complete 5yrs not my RC. My RC will complete 5yrs in Aug 2016 and my marriage to him will complete 5yrs in December this year. We've lived together from the start apart from when he moved out in May this year. We got married December 2010 and I got my RC Aug 2011.

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:24 pm

Sorry for the misunderstood. Anyway that's fine like I said as long as he's working including yourself for all the duration of your 5 years and you can prove it by providing all the relevant paperwork you should be fine. By the way do you still get his wage slips up till now and if yes just keep it and if he does change his address will you be able to talk to him in other to get them as it's very important when you intend to get your PR.

Moreover if you think you will not be able to get it from him then you have to go through another options.

nicelady190
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nicelady190 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:01 am

Wise wrote:Sorry for the misunderstood. Anyway that's fine like I said as long as he's working including yourself for all the duration of your 5 years and you can prove it by providing all the relevant paperwork you should be fine. By the way do you still get his wage slips up till now and if yes just keep it and if he does change his address will you be able to talk to him in other to get them as it's very important when you intend to get your PR.

Moreover if you think you will not be able to get it from him then you have to go through another options.

Wise please check your inbox please.

nicelady190
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nicelady190 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:49 am

Wise wrote:Sorry for the misunderstood. Anyway that's fine like I said as long as he's working including yourself for all the duration of your 5 years and you can prove it by providing all the relevant paperwork you should be fine. By the way do you still get his wage slips up till now and if yes just keep it and if he does change his address will you be able to talk to him in other to get them as it's very important when you intend to get your PR.

fatimahh
Member of Standing
Mood:
Guinea

Post by fatimahh » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:35 pm

[quote="Wise"]but don't claim housing benefit without having your PR. Only one of you can make the above claim.[/quote]

Hi Wise - sorry to budge in the post, but you just mentioned something which now have me worried a little :?
I have confirmation of ROR, i am working full time and i have been claiming benefit including Housing Benefit since i am now the sole carer for my child. Do you mean that i will have problem when ready for PR because i am claiming Hb?
Please help me understand because there is so many view about this subject going round.
GOD BLESS!!!

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Hello,
My first question is, claiming HB while you're with ROR is a massive risk on your side as having ROR means you're a worker and you must remain that till you aquire you PR. If any caseworker see that claim is going to refuse you as you have break one of the condition for getting ROR.

In addition if you can remember, for you to be granted ROR is either your marriage lasted 3yrs, or your have child and you're the sole carer. Still you still mustn't become burden to any member state.

fatimahh
Member of Standing
Mood:
Guinea

Post by fatimahh » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:32 am

[quote="Wise"]Hello,
My first question is, claiming HB while you're with ROR is a massive risk on your side as having ROR means you're a worker and you must remain that till you aquire you PR. If any caseworker see that claim is going to refuse you as you have break one of the condition for getting ROR.

In addition if you can remember, for you to be granted ROR is either your marriage lasted 3yrs, or your have child and you're the sole carer. Still you still mustn't become burden to any member state.[/quote]

Sorry but i think we would agree to disagree on this one. <If any caseworker see that claim is going to refuse you as you have break one of the condition for getting ROR.>

No where in the ROR letter is was mentioned that having a retained right of residence prevent someone from claiming public funds, [u]provided this person is exercising treaty rights[/u] and Housing benefit alike child benefit,child tax credit,working tax credit is a public fund. So if it does not seem to be a problem claiming child benefit,child tax credit,working tax credit why will it be for HB :?:

Also the ROR stamp does not say "NO RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUND" therefore i do not see why a caseworker would penalise on the basis of public fund.
According to the public fund guidance,

[[b]This page tells you how to consider cases when a person who is applying for leave has received public funds.
If you have confirmed a person has received public funds, they are not covered by an exception and it was not due to an administrative error, you must consider three points.
Does this suggest the applicant does not meet the Immigration Rules of the category they are applying under?
Most categories in the Immigration Rules require people to be able to maintain and accommodate themselves without having recourse to public funds.[u] If an applicant has received public funds you must consider whether they could maintain and accommodate themselves if they were to immediately stop claiming those funds.
If it is clear a person could not maintain and accommodate themselves you must consider refusing their application under the rules of the category they are applying under.
If it is obvious a person could maintain and accommodate themselves without continuing to claim public funds, you must not refuse their application on these grounds.[/u] For example, they may have enough money available to them from elsewhere. They must stop claiming public funds because they cannot legally claim them.
Have they breached the conditions of their current leave?
A person who applies for leave will have conditions attached to their current leave that states they cannot access public funds. You must check what is written on their:
 entry clearance certificate
 visa
 UK residence permit, or
 other immigration document.
You must consider refusing the application under paragraph 322(3) of the Immigration Rules
if they have claimed public funds but their conditions of leave state they cannot access them. This is because they have breached the conditions of their stay. For more information, see related link: General grounds for refusal.
If you find out an applicant has received public funds but you have confirmation this is the result of an administrative error, or because an exception applies, you must not refuse the application on the grounds the applicant has no recourse to public funds. If the applicant was clearly not at fault and they received public funds in good faith, the benefit paying department may seek repayment.
Have they declared they are in receipt of public funds on the application form?
All application forms include a section that asks the applicant to declare whether they have received public funds.
If an applicant has received public funds that have a negative impact on their application, but not declared this on their form, you must refuse the application under paragraph 322(1A) of the Immigration Rules. This is because they have not declared a material fact when making their application. For more information, see related link: General grounds for refusal. If a person has not declared they have received public funds but they can claim these because of an exception you must not refuse under paragraph 322(1A).
Was the Public Fund awarded as the result of an administrative error?
Where the applicant provides confirmation from the awarding body that the public fund was awarded following an administrative error, you must disregard it and not refuse the application on this basis. You must still consider whether the applicant is able to meet any maintenance and accommodation requirements as indicated above.[/b]
GOD BLESS!!!

Sam_12357
Iran

Post by Sam_12357 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:24 pm

Wise wrote:Hello,

Firstly,are you thinking of divorce now?which I honestly think will not be good idea because you only have few month to end your RC and shouldn't expired before you re submit it for PR.

Also if you choose to divorce now and let's say before you received your decree absolute you RC has expired,if you submit it for PR at that time I don't know how HO will react as you don't have any stay anymore. As for the benefit claim nothing will affect you as long as you're working and you husband is working even if you don't stay together.

Please don't make mistake by divorcing now wait until you sort your status out first,but I think you stand high chance of getting your PR because of your baby and husband 's 5years treaty right including your own.

Most importantly,if you fail to provide your spouse 5years treaty right the HO can choose to give you another five year again and you wouldn't like. Am talking from experience . Make sure you always come back to this forum as there's a lot to learn both from members and the moderators.

Once again good luck.
Hi.im going to apply divorce so need ur help about retained of residence ..can u tell me pls which documents i need?can u explain in details pls it will help me alot..thanks

mamatish
Newly Registered

Post by mamatish » Tue May 30, 2017 7:59 am

Hello
I was wondering if you can help with this question

I have retained my rights as a family member of an eea national after our divorce
I have recently applied for my PR still awaiting decision
However I just had a baby, can I claim child benefit for him? And would this affect my permanent residence application or any other future application
Also would this affect my future spousal application as my current husband is abroad?

nicelady190
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nicelady190 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:19 am

No it would not affect your right to PR. You can claim child tax credit also.

Safiya
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Safiya » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi am also married to eea national for 4 years.and we have been living in Uk for 2 years 10 months. I have eight months old baby with him. Now we are separated and my maternity pay has ended, am facing difficulties I want to claim income support and housing benefit but am afraid when am applying for my PR the home office will refuse me based on that please I need advice

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Safiya wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 pm
Hi am also married to eea national for 4 years.and we have been living in Uk for 2 years 10 months. I have eight months old baby with him. Now we are separated and my maternity pay has ended, am facing difficulties I want to claim income support and housing benefit but am afraid when am applying for my PR the home office will refuse me based on that please I need advice
Hi, I claimed benefit for my child with retained right of residence and still got my PR. If you are still married, both of your income will be assessed bf you are awarded any benefit. You have to decide who will be awarded the claim.

Safiya
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Safiya » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi we are currently separated and I was told I should call the HM Revenue and Costomar. and tell them am now a single mom so I would get more help. I'm currently claiming child benefit, and child tax credit.i have started working this week and i was told I could get working tax credit but am only working 24 hours a week and it not enough to pay my bills this why am asking if I could get housing benefit and income support

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 am

Safiya wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm
Hi we are currently separated and I was told I should call the HM Revenue and Costomar. and tell them am now a single mom so I would get more help. I'm currently claiming child benefit, and child tax credit.i have started working this week and i was told I could get working tax credit but am only working 24 hours a week and it not enough to pay my bills this why am asking if I could get housing benefit and income support
You should not have a problem as you are working and will not become an undue burden to the system