ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving the UK for an extended time on ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bryce
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Leaving the UK for an extended time on ILR

Post by Bryce » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Hello all, I've had sudden sad news that my sister is dying of cancer. So I need to leave the UK quickly and get back to New Zealand, I may be away up to 9 months. I'm on an ILR and I know they don't like it when you're away for a long time on that, but thought it couldn't hurt to inform someone ahead of time to perhaps get a note on my file – but I can't find any contact details for the Home Office (etc) for a relevant department to contact?

Ironically/tragically, I was eligible for citizenship already but was saving up for it and hadn't started the process. Too late now as I need to leave in the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks

Bryce

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Leaving the UK for an extended time on ILR

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:43 pm

You can stay out of UK for a period of 2 years.
See also returning residents
Life isn't fair, but you can be!