ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is the £29,000 family visa threshold for one child?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Is the £29,000 family visa threshold for one child?

Post by Adam20 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:53 pm

Dear Members,

I'm reaching out for clarification regarding the family visa route.

The UK government has defined the family visa threshold at £29,000. I'm interested in understanding whether this threshold already includes an additional top-up if there is one child. In the past, there were supplementary top-up payments for one, two, or three children.

Your feedback on this matter is highly

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Is the £29,000 family visa threshold for one child?

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:13 pm

We don't know yet. Nothing in the rules have changed as yet as the proposal still needs to go through the parliamentary processes. Any changes will likely only come into effect in the spring,
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:36 pm

It is possible that there may not be a separate child element to the new threshold, but it would be wise to wait for the actual rules and guidance to be published to have an authoritative answer.

If somebody and their child is already on the family/spousal visa journey, they would still continue on the old threshold, which does have a separate child component.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:46 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:13 pm
We don't know yet. Nothing in the rules have changed as yet as the proposal still needs to go through the parliamentary processes. Any changes will likely only come into effect in the spring,
I've just read this information on the government's news site.

There will no longer be a separate child element to the minimum income requirement, to ensure that British nationals are not treated less favourably than migrants who are required to meet the General Skilled Worker threshold as a flat rate, regardless of any children being sponsored.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fact ... her-detail

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Savings to Cover a £29,000 Shortfall

Post by Adam20 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:58 pm

Dear Members,

Concerning the shortfall in the £29,000 threshold, I understand that you need to demonstrate savings to meet the requirement.

Here's an example:

If the shortfall is £400, then £400 multiplied by 6 equals £2400. Therefore, saving £2400 over 6 months would cover the shortfall.

Could you confirm if this formula is accurate?

I appreciate your input on this matter.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Savings to Cover a £29,000 Shortfall

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:27 pm

Nothing has yet been confirmed regarding the savings criteria under the proposed income increase,.

However, under the current rules only savings over £16,000 will be considered to meet any shortfall in the £18,600 p.a earnings. i.e The first £16,000 will be disregarded. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:32 am

Can you stick to this instead of creating and keeping active more than one similar topic/thread.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:55 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:32 am
Can you stick to this instead of creating and keeping active more than one similar topic/thread.
Dear AmazonianX,

Apologies for initiating a new thread; I wasn't certain if this was relevant and would be addressed within the existing thread, as the query was slightly different.

Savings to Cover a £29,000 Shortfall

Concerning the shortfall in the £29,000 threshold, I understand that you need to demonstrate savings to meet the requirement.

Here's an example:

If the shortfall is £400, then £400 multiplied by 6 equals £2400. Therefore, saving £2400 over 6 months would cover the shortfall.

A member in this forum, Casa, mentioned the following.

“Under the current rules only savings over £16,000 will be considered to meet any shortfall in the £18,600 p.a earnings. i.e The first £16,000 will be disregarded.”

What if you lack savings of £16,000, and your shortfall is minimal, perhaps £200, £400, and so forth?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:03 am

Adam20 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:55 am
“Under the current rules only savings over £16,000 will be considered to meet any shortfall in the £18,600 p.a earnings. i.e The first £16,000 will be disregarded.”

What if you lack savings of £16,000, and your shortfall is minimal, perhaps £200, £400, and so forth?

It is.

The formula for required savings currently is (((£18600 - annual gross income)*2.5)+16,000) for an FLR(M) application or renewal.

If you wanted to sponsor a spouse without any income, based purely on savings, you'd need £62,500 (use the calculation above with 0 for annual gross income) in liquid savings in an easily accessible bank account for at least six months.

Threads merged.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:18 am

Hi secret.simon,

I intend to sponsor my spouse, and I aim to present my income. However, I am short by £400. Can I compensate for this shortfall by demonstrating savings, considering I don't have a substantial amount as previously mentioned? I'm questioning the accuracy of the formula I suggested.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:28 am

The formula for savings is accurate. See Page 44 of the Financial requirements caseworker guidance.
Calculating Cash Savings – Appendix FM
The following calculations are to be used for those applying as a Partner or Child under Appendix FM to the Immigration Rules.
At the entry clearance/initial leave to remain stage and the further leave stage, the amount of cash savings above £16,000 must be divided by 2.5 (to reflect the 2.5 year or 30month period before the applicant will have to make a further application) to give the amount which can be used in meeting the financial requirement.

The following equation is to be used:
(x minus 16,000) divided by 2.5 = y
Where x is the total amount of cash savings held by the applicant, their partner, or both jointly for at least the 6 months prior to the date of application and under their control.
And y is the amount which can be used towards the financial requirement.
At the indefinite leave to remain stage, the whole of the amount above £16,000 can
be used. And the following equation is to be used:
(x minus 16,000) = y
The table on Page 45 shows that you would need savings of £16,500 to make up a shortfall of £200 in annual income and £17,500 to make up a shortfall of £600 in annual income. Therefore logically, you'd need savings of £17,000 to make up for a shortfall of £400 in annual income.

You may want to look at getting a second job or an increase in your hours in order to boost your income.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:23 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:28 am
The formula for savings is accurate. See Page 44 of the Financial requirements caseworker guidance.
Calculating Cash Savings – Appendix FM
The following calculations are to be used for those applying as a Partner or Child under Appendix FM to the Immigration Rules.
At the entry clearance/initial leave to remain stage and the further leave stage, the amount of cash savings above £16,000 must be divided by 2.5 (to reflect the 2.5 year or 30month period before the applicant will have to make a further application) to give the amount which can be used in meeting the financial requirement.

The following equation is to be used:
(x minus 16,000) divided by 2.5 = y
Where x is the total amount of cash savings held by the applicant, their partner, or both jointly for at least the 6 months prior to the date of application and under their control.
And y is the amount which can be used towards the financial requirement.
At the indefinite leave to remain stage, the whole of the amount above £16,000 can
be used. And the following equation is to be used:
(x minus 16,000) = y
The table on Page 45 shows that you would need savings of £16,500 to make up a shortfall of £200 in annual income and £17,500 to make up a shortfall of £600 in annual income. Therefore logically, you'd need savings of £17,000 to make up for a shortfall of £400 in annual income.

You may want to look at getting a second job or an increase in your hours in order to boost your income.
Thank you for providing this information; it's been incredibly useful as I grapple with the stress of this shortfall. As I approach the new year in January, I must plan my course of action carefully. I'll be talking to my manager about the potential to increase my hours and considering a second job as a backup for the first six months of 2024.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:32 am

I hope this administration doesn't win the 2024 general election. The stress they impose on British citizens who have contributed to the country for 40 years through taxes is significant. Formulating policies that negatively affect families and children appears imprudent to me. I already know where my vote will go on that day.

My sincere hope is for those facing challenging times to find relief and resolution in their situations.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:06 am

Adam20 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:32 am
I hope this administration doesn't win the 2024 general election. The stress they impose on British citizens who have contributed to the country for 40 years through taxes is significant. Formulating policies that negatively affect families and children appears imprudent to me. I already know where my vote will go on that day.

My sincere hope is for those facing challenging times to find relief and resolution in their situations.
Your vote is your power, let it speak.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:55 pm

Dear Members,

Regarding an income shortfall.

If I make up for the deficit by working overtime in the same job, reaching the threshold, will this be accepted, or do they solely consider the base salary?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:32 pm

Adam20 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:55 pm
Dear Members,

If I make up for the deficit by working overtime in the same job, reaching the threshold, will this be accepted, or do they solely consider the base salary?
It will be considered. Note that the income should cover any shortfall for the duration on which the financial requirements you are to use covers.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:57 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:32 pm
Adam20 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:55 pm
Dear Members,

It will be considered. Note that the income should cover any shortfall for the duration on which the financial requirements you are to use covers.
Thank you for your reply.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:28 pm

I have two questions:

1. If I worked overtime for the next two months to compensate for the deficit from the previous 2 month, would this be considered acceptable to HO? Same employer and identical job roles.

2. Regarding to compensate for the deficit by taken a second job: Would it be acceptable if I were to switch jobs and work for two or three different employers? What I mean is working for four weeks, and repeating the cycle with a gap of two or three weeks finding a new job.

Thank you.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:29 pm

Adam20 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:28 pm
I have two questions:

1. If I worked overtime for the next two months to compensate for the deficit from the previous 2 month, would this be considered acceptable to HO? Same employer and identical job roles.

2. Regarding to compensate for the deficit by taken a second job: Would it be acceptable if I were to switch jobs and work for two or three different employers? What I mean is working for four weeks, and repeating the cycle with a gap of two or three weeks finding a new job.

Thank you.
No, it doesn't work that way. When it's gone it's gone.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:22 pm

Hi All,

My friend advised me to submit my spouse's application before April 11, even though I only have four months of payslips instead of the required six. The goal is to meet the £18,600 threshold initially and then submit the remaining two months' payslips later.

I'm uncertain about the acceptability of this approach and whether the Home Office will ask for backdated payslips or ones from the future during the review process.

For instance, if I submit the application in 1st April, with 4 months payslip will they request payslips for April and May at that time?

Your guidance on this matter would be appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:30 pm

My friend advised me to submit my spouse's application before April 11, even though I only have four months of payslips instead of the required six. The goal is to meet the £18,600 threshold initially and then submit the remaining two months' payslips later.
You cannot do that. The rules are very clear, you must submit 6 months payslips and bank statements to apply for a spouse visa. It is not a choice or option to submit less. All your supporting documents must be dated on or before the date you submit and pay online. You cannot submit payslips 2 months later and hope they accept it, they will not.
I'm uncertain about the acceptability of this approach and whether the Home Office will ask for backdated payslips or ones from the future during the review process.
Why would they ask you for it? They base their decisions on you meeting the requirements at the time of application.
For instance, if I submit the application in 1st April, with 4 months payslip will they request payslips for April and May at that time?
No they won't. They will process the application based on what you have submitted.

Submitting 4 months payslips will almost certainly result in a visa refusal as you don't meet the requirements.

I would strongly suggest you stop listening to 'friend' giving out flawed advice.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fact ... her-detail
There will no longer be a separate child element to the minimum income requirement, to ensure that British nationals are not treated less favourably than migrants who are required to meet the General Skilled Worker threshold as a flat rate, regardless of any children being sponsored.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:25 am

Adam20 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:22 pm
Hi All,

Your guidance on this matter would be appreciated.
Meeting the financial requirements is an important part of the route you are on.
Your friend's advice will result in loss of money, record of refusal and more headache than you care to have.