ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen parents joining me in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kakolukia
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

US citizen parents joining me in UK

Post by kakolukia » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:01 pm

Hi. I've got a query with regards to family members joining me in the UK.

I'm a British citizen and both my parents are US citizens who live in the US. My sister is also a US citizen living in the US with her husband and children.

I'd like to know what are the available routes that my parents can take if they want to join me and live in the UK?

Similarly, what potential routes can my sister take as well if she wanted to join me in the UK?

Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: US citizen parents joining me in UK

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:24 pm

Can you give a few more details?
Work visas possibly, if they can find a sponsor employer offering them a job. Maybe sister has qualifications in demand here.
UK work visa details: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
Are parents retired? Are they relying on you for support? There's an "Adult Dependent Relative" visa but is very hard to get.
Have a look at what family visas are available: https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa
It's a very limited range - UK governments have never been keen on chain migration. British citizens have no more privileges in this respect than settled foreign nationals. And you will be aware that very shortly the UK government will be tightening up on spouse and other family visas.
Just a few general thoughts - others may comment in more detail.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:46 pm

Further to the advice already given, since the Immigration Rules were tightened on the 9th July 2012, the Adult Dependent Visa has proved to be one of the most difficult to achieve with only 3.5 - 4% being approved. Within this small percent, many have only succeeded after a lengthy and costly appeal through the Courts.

In order to stand any chance of success, your parents would have to submit documented evidence that they require daily help with simple tasks, such as bathing, dressing and preparing simple meals.

Also, that help must either not be available in their home country, or is not affordable. Please bear in mind that if they apply for a settlement visa and the application is refused, this will close the door for obtaining UK visitor visas in the future, due to their prior intention to settle.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kakolukia
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by kakolukia » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:34 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

They're very close to retirement but have no medical or physical dependencies, so I guess that makes it a harder job based on information given.

What are the rules if they buy property (with cash) in the UK? Does that entitle them to settlement after a number of years, or is buying property in the UK irrelevant?

Sounds like a worker visa might be the best option if they can find a workplace.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:59 pm

kakolukia wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:34 pm
Thanks all for the replies.

They're very close to retirement but have no medical or physical dependencies, so I guess that makes it a harder job based on information given.

What are the rules if they buy property (with cash) in the UK? Does that entitle them to settlement after a number of years, or is buying property in the UK irrelevant?

Sounds like a worker visa might be the best option if they can find a workplace.
Purchase of property in the UK irrelevant. If you want your parents to live closer to you, they may like to consider applying to one of the EU states which offer the 'Golden Visa' settlement route. Each EU member state will have their own rules regarding settlement through investment.

In order to apply for a UK Skilled Work visa they would require sponsorship by a Home Office approved sponsor and have the necessary work skills.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:25 pm

Essentially your citizenship adds nothing to the position and those that wish to settle in the U.K. must do so under their own steam. The most common routes being through a work visa or a student visa.
The student route in the vast majority of cases does not even allow spouse / partner or children to accompany the main visa holder. So that will not readily resolve the position for your parents or your sister.

The skilled worker visa is a fairly & readily achievable visa BUT you have to find a licensed employer that is willing to offer you a role that meets the visa requirements. This visa leads to settlement but it takes a minimum of five years.

The new rules coming into place around Feb / March 2024 are going to add a significant financial barriers to bringing in spouse, partner and children on all routes. And the secondary costs of the immigration health surcharge is increasing in the next few weeks too.