ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Naturalisation as LTD director (self employed)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

El88
Newly Registered
Italy

Applying for Naturalisation as LTD director (self employed)

Post by El88 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:13 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you so so much for helping us all in this process. I have some doubts on what kind of proof of living I have to provide being a LTD director/self employed and if my peculiar story (see below) will affect my application

I am an Italian citizen.
I have lived in the U.K. continuously from October 2007 to December 2016.
I moved abroad in Jan 2017 and have returned to the U.K. permanently since July 2018.
When I sent my application under the E.U. Settlement Scheme in May 2019, I was not aware that I could have gotten already the settlement status based on Historic Residence, as I thought that if I was away for more than one year, I was going to have to apply for Pre-Settle. So, I applied for Pre-Settle Status.
Last year, I discovered that I could have already gotten the settlement status, so I proved that I hadn’t been outside the U.K. for longer than five years between 2008 and 2016, and on 19/10/22, I applied.
On the 23/01/23, I was granted the Settlement status.
In the last five years, I travelled 380 days.

I have owned my LTD company since 2016 and am the only employee. What kind of proof of living do I have to provide? I only have P60 for 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023, as my accountant still needs to sign me in for PAYE for 2022.

I don’t have access to Council Tax bills as I always shared houses or lived in studio flats where bills were included in the total rent.

Thank you so much

Elena

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Applying for Naturalisation as LTD director (self employed)

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:18 pm

If your accountant can generate the P60 for 2022, that will be the last piece of the puzzle. Provide that and you should be covered.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:26 pm

As the sole director of a Limited company and are paid through PAYE, you are an employee, not self-employed. :idea:

See the HMRC link below and the highlighted reference.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... arners.pdf

If the NRP is paid a salary by their own company, they are employed by that company.
If the NRP earnings consist of the profits of the company but not drawings, they are self-employed.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:40 pm

Correct, paid via PAYE then you are an employee. I am an accountant so certainly sure of this :D

And years that you weren’t on PAYE, you must have had dividends? If not then surely you got income from the business, how were you paying your taxes?