ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Siggi

First passport

Post by Siggi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 pm

OK so now I have jump through all the hoops laid down before me in a effort from HO to prevent me from becoming British.

Now with Naturalisation cert. in hand I'm now required to fill in an application form for a passport and interview.

So you send off the application and wait a further six weeks for a interview for passport and after the interview you wait a further two weeks.

What wrong with this country???
:twisted: :evil:
GIVE STRENGTH!!!! :evil:

sashank

Re: First passport

Post by sashank » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Siggi wrote:OK so now I have jump through all the hoops laid down before me in a effort from HO to prevent me from becoming British.

Now with Naturalisation cert. in hand I'm now required to fill in an application form for a passport and interview.

So you send off the application and wait a further six weeks for a interview for passport and after the interview you wait a further two weeks.

You can not generalise, because mine came within 5 day and did not need to attend interview.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:53 am

You can not generalise, because mine came within 5 day and did not need to attend interview.

Firstly this is not a generalisation, everyone who applys for thier first passport must have a interview.
Secondly it states clearly in the application pack for a passport you need to send the application away and you will wait six weeks, for a invitation for a interview.

Lastly when did you apply for your passport and why did you not need a interview? Please share your wisdom.

Markie

Post by Markie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:45 am

The latest requirement in order to have your first british passport is undertake an interview. check IPS website...
sashank wrote:
Siggi wrote:OK so now I have jump through all the hoops laid down before me in a effort from HO to prevent me from becoming British.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:29 am

"What wrong with this country???"

Erm... you chose to come here :roll: God knows why lol.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:09 am

I don't think anyone should feel slighted, or think that the need to attend an interview is some last-gasp attempt to deny them what they're entitled to.
Unfortunately, over the years, IND and its successors have been the victim of so much fraud and deception, that the vast majority of law-abiding and decent citizens and residents have to jump through these extra hoops. Once Siggi's identity, and not that of some scammer who has got hold of his details, is tied to the first passport application, it should be much more difficult for anyone else to use his i/d to get a passport in the future.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:16 am

On the bright side, even getting a subsequent passport in some countries can take forever. If you lose it abroad you can get a replacement fairly quickly, if the same happens to overseas nationals in the UK it can take MONTHS.

8 weeks in not that long IMO.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Moreover, the period of six weeks as specified on IPS website is, I believe just a general timeline. Most of the time you will receive your passport within 3-4 weeks.
I got mine within 3 weeks.

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:07 pm

[quote="Siggi"]OK so now I have jump through all the hoops laid down before me in a effort from HO to prevent me from becoming British.

GIVE STRENGTH!!!! :evil:[/quote]

Hi,

I understand your perdicament..I too have experienced those on way to become a british citizen. Starting from applying for Driving Licence, LTR, extending LTR, ILR, Nationality, etc. But there is nothing we can do bout it..it's the British way so we have to deal with it.

Just to compare British way to the American way...few months ago I was in the States and applied for SSN, ID cards and Driving Licence (am preparing my move to the US obviously). Got my SSN in 1 week..got my ID card in 4 weeks..passed driving (theory and behind the wheel) tests all in 1 week and spending only 23dollars. You can even repeat the theory test the same day without paying again..yuo can repeat the practical test the day after wihtout paying again..In UK, passed all my driving tests and got my licence after a year and spending hundreds of pounds! If you fail the tests, you have to wait at least 4 weeks to get a new test and need to pay again...

whirly

Post by whirly » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:16 pm

Siggi: congratulations on becoming British :)

Shouldn't take too long to get your passport... Mine took 4.5 weeks.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:58 pm

passed driving (theory and behind the wheel) tests all in 1 week and spending only 23dollars. You can even repeat the theory test the same day without paying again..yuo can repeat the practical test the day after wihtout paying again..In UK, passed all my driving tests and got my licence after a year and spending hundreds of pounds! If you fail the tests, you have to wait at least 4 weeks to get a new test and need to pay again...
Having had the "pleasure" of driving in the USA in a good number of states it is not that surprising that the US does not place too many barriers to getting a driving licence. Remember this was the country that rejected roundabouts as being too difficult to understand!
As for passing a US driving test after holding a UK licence - that is like asking Einstein to count to ten without using his fingers...... not exactly difficult!

sashank

Post by sashank » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:03 pm

Siggi wrote:You can not generalise, because mine came within 5 day and did not need to attend interview.

Firstly this is not a generalisation, everyone who applys for thier first passport must have a interview.
Secondly it states clearly in the application pack for a passport you need to send the application away and you will wait six weeks, for a invitation for a interview.

Lastly when did you apply for your passport and why did you not need a interview? Please share your wisdom.
Naturalised on 16th dec, applied for passport on 18th dec and passport issued date on passport is 23 dec, arrived on 29th dec, I dont know why but never asked to attend interview.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:57 am

Sashank wrote:

Naturalised on 16th dec, applied for passport on 18th dec and passport issued date on passport is 23 dec, arrived on 29th dec, I dont know why but never asked to attend interview.

If you are talking about December 08 you are extremely luck and most definately slip through the system, how I don't know.
All I know is what is set out in the IPS web site and this clearly states all first time passport application must be interviewed.
Anyhow good luck to you.

Maybe Frontier Mole would like to pass comment.

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:05 am

[quote="Frontier Mole"][quote]passed driving (theory and behind the wheel) tests all in 1 week and spending only 23dollars. You can even repeat the theory test the same day without paying again..yuo can repeat the practical test the day after wihtout paying again..In UK, passed all my driving tests and got my licence after a year and spending hundreds of pounds! If you fail the tests, you have to wait at least 4 weeks to get a new test and need to pay again...[/quote]

Having had the "pleasure" of driving in the USA in a good number of states it is not that surprising that the US does not place too many barriers to getting a driving licence. Remember this was the country that rejected roundabouts as being too difficult to understand!
As for passing a US driving test after holding a UK licence - that is like asking Einstein to count to ten without using his fingers...... not exactly difficult![/quote]

I agree with you but that is not exactly my point...my point is that most process here in UK is just damned too slow and why do we need spend a lot of money just to get a driving licence?

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:
passed driving (theory and behind the wheel) tests all in 1 week and spending only 23dollars. You can even repeat the theory test the same day without paying again..yuo can repeat the practical test the day after wihtout paying again..In UK, passed all my driving tests and got my licence after a year and spending hundreds of pounds! If you fail the tests, you have to wait at least 4 weeks to get a new test and need to pay again...
As for passing a US driving test after holding a UK licence - that is like asking Einstein to count to ten without using his fingers...... not exactly difficult!

hehheeehe i love your humour mate ...honestly ..keep bring in them in the forum ...we need people like you ....you should organize a party here online that we all can enjoy or we may open a topic for just for fun and people can get over there problemes and waiting time ...you are a star mate :) keep it up